• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 09:19 PM

So today, I went to go look at a Southbend Model 9 lathe. The guy had no idea what he had or was selling. It was a really decent condition Model 9C. I would say, that typically no one would be upset at this and would have taken it, but I am after a 9A. Guess what was sitting next to it missing all of its drive gear. Yep, a model 9A long bed missing all of its drive gear and tail stock. He said he had plans to make pool poles with it after he fixes it, whatever those are. In the same breath he says he hasn't touched it in 4 years. I just hate to see good machines go to waste and rust away. I tried to maybe talk him into letting me take them both, but he was adamant about these pool poles. After a very lengthy discussion, I decided to part ways and walked out. No good. On parting I told him, if he couldn't do me a deal, maybe he could do me a favor of slapping some oil on both machines to keep them from rusting. Got home and told the whole story to the wife and she said, why didn't you offer to pay him and make his pool poles. She is so bright. I am sorry to waste peoples time, I just had to vent a bit. I was so upset about it, more so about the condition they were in.

• MH81, hamman, tinbender7 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 09:29 PM

She was just letting you know who is the brains in the family. There are alot of Southbends in our area. There were hundreds of home  shops doing piece work during WWII. I've seen several of them still set up as late as the 1980s and occassionally still hear of one after it was auctioned off. 

I had been looking for a small shaper for 30 years. Three years ago, one turned up on CL near me. It isn't complete but close. Keep looking. Good Luck, Rick

Venting is encouraged here. It is better to vent here than to say something regretable to someone important in your life. Plus most of us are thick skinned.

Edited by boyscout862, June 12, 2015 - 09:32 PM.

• tinbender7, WNYTractorTinkerer, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 07:00 AM

Pool poles ? ? I bet he meant pool cues. If he didn't know the correct terminology for them I doubt that he will have much if any success in making them. Would have to be two piece and getting the furl in right in both pieces to have a straight cue when finished is very difficult. Maybe he was thinking of one piece cues for a kids pool table?
  • michael.kitko and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 08:18 AM

I think I would have offered to find him a wood lathe that you could have traded him. Those show up on Craig's list all the time. 

It is hard to see something wasting away for no good reason. :mad2:  

• boyscout862, michael.kitko and Bill 76 have said thanks

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 08:28 AM

I think I would have offered to find him a wood lathe that you could have traded him. Those show up on Craig's list all the time. 

It is hard to see something wasting away for no good reason. :mad2:  

yep.  true statement.  How many great old garden tractors  do you think are still out there behind somebody's house or barn or in the field out back, sittin and rustin..., not getting saved

Edited by Delmar, June 13, 2015 - 08:29 AM.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and michael.kitko have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 08:35 AM

I went up to a small machine shop that closed down in Fairmont, wv.  There was a warehouse FULL of lathes, milling machines, ect.  Most of the stuff I had no idea what it even was.  He had tons of tooling, and all kinds of stuff for sale.  You wanted one bit?  too bad you have to buy the whole shelf!

We bought a few machines for the mine shop out of there.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and michael.kitko have said thanks

#7 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 10:56 AM

On a side note, I posted a want ad on CL and two guys contacted me wanting to sell theirs...one only wanted scrap value for it, because he is getting ready to scrap it and needs it out of the house. The other wants it to go to a good home and not the guy who buys them up and just paints them to sell them at a much inflated price... It's like the Model 80 cart that some people have and repaint them and then try to sell them for $800.
  • Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 12:13 PM

On a side note, I posted a want ad on CL and two guys contacted me wanting to sell theirs...one only wanted scrap value for it, because he is getting ready to scrap it and needs it out of the house. The other wants it to go to a good home and not the guy who buys them up and just paints them to sell them at a much inflated price... It's like the Model 80 cart that some people have and repaint them and then try to sell them for $800.

What did you get? I'd have probably gone for both. That is why my basement is full. Are you going to Brooklyn Fair on Sunday? It is listed as a truck show but the Swap meet has a lot of other(including tractor) stuff. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 22, 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#9 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 06:28 PM

I picked up one Southbend 9" 405...I am going to look at a 9" Model A, I think it is a 415. I am so happy I finally have a lathe to use at home...need belts for the 405 and we will see about the 415 tomorrow...I can't make it Sunday...I got to help a friend out...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lathe