mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 03:44 PM

Having issues starting my 1886. I turn the key to start and sometimes it will click and other times it will not. New battery in the fall and 12+ volts. If I jump from the pos terminal of the battery to the starter side of the solenoid the started cranks over and will start if key is in the on position. I tested the safety switches and they all test good. I tested the ignition switch with continuity when in the start position and I get continuity. I tried testing for voltage and it either is not working, or I am not testing correctly.

I assume if I pull off the small wire from the solenoid and turn the ignition switch to start, I should get 12+ volts?  To test to solenoid should I jump a small wire from pos terminal of the battery to the small post on the solenoid?

Also, I lost the screws that hold down the points cover. Does anyone know what size they are? I can't find a diagram that tells me and I was hoping to be able to pick some up at the hardware store. 

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,702 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 04:45 PM

A clicking sound is almost always a sign of a faulty solenoid or weak power supply. Since the battery is new I suspect solenoid failure.

#3 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,516 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 04:45 PM

The battery side of the solenoid has a wire that takes the voltage up to the switch and the center stud on the solenoid is the other side of the ignition circuit , jump those two points together on the solenoid and and see if it cranks the starter if it does it's in your ignition switch or circuitry to it,if it doesn't ,then it's the solenoid.. but doesn't rule out the ignition switch , check for continuity in the starting position on the switch, if unsure trace the wires back from the solenoid

Point cover screws are 10-24 x 3/8"

If it's the solenoid , Dr Bolens carries the REAL ones for the early LFs

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, June 12, 2015 - 04:48 PM.

• mark843, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Having issues starting my 1886. I turn the key to start and sometimes it will click and other times it will not. New battery in the fall and 12+ volts. If I jump from the pos terminal of the battery to the starter side of the solenoid the started cranks over and will start if key is in the on position. I tested the safety switches and they all test good. I tested the ignition switch with continuity when in the start position and I get continuity. I tried testing for voltage and it either is not working, or I am not testing correctly.With the socket disconnected from the key switch, you should get 12v in one of the socket terminals.  (The other side of the volt meter should be on the NEGATIVE terminal on the battery, or a known good ground.

If  you don't get voltage going into the key switch, you will not get voltage out to the solenoid.  ....There is circuit breaker on the 1886-01 between the battery terminal of the solenoid and the negative terminal of the ammeter.  .....If the breaker is good, you should get 12v between the ammeter post and ground.

The red wire leaving the key switch socket goes through the trans interlock switch and the PTO interlock switch then to the small terminal of the solenoid.  ....If you do a continuity test between the switch socket terminal and the end of the red wire at the solenoid, this will prove the switches and wiring is good.  

I assume if I pull off the small wire from the solenoid and turn the ignition switch to start, I should get 12+ volts?  Yes. 

To test to solenoid should I jump a small wire from pos terminal of the battery to the small post on the solenoid? Yes.

However, if the solenoid doesn't activate doing this, it's possible the solenoid is not grounded well.  .....It is grounded through the mounting bracket, so rust or paint can create an intermittent or total loss of grounding.  .....You can try jumping between the case of the solenoid and the NEGATIVE battery terminal to see if the solenoid activates with a good ground.

There are two styles of solenoids used on Bolens tractors - grounded and un-grounded.   ......The 1886-01 uses the grounded type Bolens # 1717048.

and requires 12v to the small terminal to activate. 

I'm assuming things were working properly in the past, so it is unlikely that the wrong solenoid has been used.

I looked at the wiring diagram for the 1886-01 to obtain the info above.  ......If your 1886 is a later model, the wiring diagram for your model should be checked.

• Bolens 1000, mark843, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:47 PM

You had troubles and changed the battery.  Check/clean the frame to ground cable connection.  Better yet, use one side of a set of jumper cables and hook the batter ground to the engine or starter case.  Try starting.  If it cranks there's your trouble..

• boyscout862 and Paulgo have said thanks

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 06:56 AM

Was having the same problem with my Cub. Moved the battery ground to a different place on the tractor and it solved the problem.

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 07:05 AM

Don' always rely on continuity to tell you if a connection is good or bad.  You can have continuity and still have a connection that don't transfer full power through it, but reads good.

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 07:08 AM

That's what I was getting, a "good" reading that wasn't good at all.

#9 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies. It is an 1886-01.

I picked up new screws for the points cover and closed that all back up.

I went back and pulled the red wire and placed that on the positive side of the multimeter. I then placed the negative side of the multimeter on the ground and turned the ignition to start. I did get +12v so I think the ignition switch is good. I put a small wire from the positive side of the battery to the small terminal of the solenoid and it just clicked.

I also tested continuity from the small terminal on the solenoid to a good ground, and it seems to be grounded, so I think the solenoid is the issue and will need to be replaced.

#10 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 01:51 PM

One of my 1886's has a bad ground to the firewall where the start solenoid is mounted and it won't crank, check to be sure the panel where the solenoid is has a good ground (or connect a jumper from battery ground to the panel directly).