#16 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 10:15 AM

Josh , this is a long shot but could the exhaust be plugged up so bad that it won't pull air in and just blow back through the carb. ? I've had that on 2 strokes but never a 4 cycle .

I dont think so with both the carb off and the muffler off it still does it.

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 12:04 PM

I just had a thought, are you turning it over at speed & checking for valve closure? I had one with sluggish valves once, that gave me grief until I found it. Lacquer on the valve stems.

#18 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 02:38 PM

I just got back from the scrap yard. I got a complete 12 hp briggs and a like new seat no cracks or splits for $19. I am going to test it out and see if it runs good. It has a whole lot more compression than my 11hp did. I can barely turn it by hand on the compression stroke. I hope it runs good I will keep you posted.

#19 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1368
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 08:05 PM

Josh , this is a long shot but could the exhaust be plugged up so bad that it won't pull air in and just blow back through the carb. ? I've had that on 2 strokes but never a 4 cycle .

:ditto: Mice can cause the problem but muddobbers are the worst !

Josh if you want my opinion (& I'm sure you do lol! ) Thes crap yard is the route to go 11hp b&s are a dime a dozen these days but better yet you could probably find an ohv 11 or so hp ! worst scenario you get another engine that wont start but thats just more spare parts for the next one lol!

#20 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Put the new engine on and runs great. It actually was an 11 hp I thought is was 12 but was wrong. So My little MTD is still an 11/38. Going to check out the deck tomorrow. Hopefully bearings are in good shape. Thanks everyone for the help.

#21 steroblan OFFLINE  

steroblan

• Member No: 2450
  • 24 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 11:58 PM

Josh, I had an even worse case on a 11hp vertical Briggs, spitting oil out the carb. It was stuck rings as olcowhand said. Remove the valve breather and clean it well. You can test the one way action with your breath. Make sure the breather tube to the carb and the o-ring on the oil filler spout is sound and not leaking. Then change out the oil and add a small amount of "engine honey" to the oil to thicken it before putting it in the motor. Napa sells several brands for a couple bucks. This was a cheap fix for me and the engine doesn't even smoke now.

Edited by steroblan, April 01, 2011 - 12:04 AM.
additional comment