#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 08:37 AM

During my usual CL searching I stumbled upon this beast of a mower. It a Mitsubishi 3cyl diesel that runs smooth as a top. I was a little hesitant because of the low price and the high hours (or so I thought).

After asking around I found out that 3000 hours really isn't too bad if the engine was taken care of. It was owned by a golf course and I bought it off of the equipment manager. I showed up and was presently surprised at how good of shape it was in. It's no beauty queen but pretty solid for a 20 year old machine. The engine was cold and it fired right up without the use of the glow plugs. Just a puff of black smoke and then it purred like a kitten. Has zero blowby and I couldn't find a leak anywhere on the engine.

I'll go over it and dress up a few things, now with it a few times and see how I like it. If all is well I'll be keeping it. I love the sound and smell of that diesel too!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434116077.063208.jpg
  • Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 10:21 AM

Pretty interesting, I crossed the Mitsu's oil filter and it turns out that it uses the same filter as my kubota b5100 and my '97 Honda Accord. Fram 3593a. That is handy.
  • Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 11:38 AM

Where abouts did you pick it up? I could've sworn I saw that on cincy CL in the last few weeks.  

I think I use that same Fram filter on the Kubota engine on our Grasshopper at church. I hate Fram, but that seems to be the only one I can ever find in stock.

• Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 914 Thanks
  • 1,205 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 12:35 PM

I like it that is a beast

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 06:28 PM

During my usual CL searching I stumbled upon this beast of a mower. It a Mitsubishi 3cyl diesel that runs smooth as a top. I was a little hesitant because of the low price and the high hours (or so I thought).

After asking around I found out that 3000 hours really isn't too bad if the engine was taken care of. It was owned by a golf course and I bought it off of the equipment manager. I showed up and was presently surprised at how good of shape it was in. It's no beauty queen but pretty solid for a 20 year old machine. The engine was cold and it fired right up without the use of the glow plugs. Just a puff of black smoke and then it purred like a kitten. Has zero blowby and I couldn't find a leak anywhere on the engine.

I'll go over it and dress up a few things, now with it a few times and see how I like it. If all is well I'll be keeping it. I love the sound and smell of that diesel too!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1434116077.063208.jpg

I have a 322D an love it!

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Nice snag. Should have a minimum of a 1000 hours left in it and could easily exceed that.  :thumbs:

• Alc, twostep and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#7 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 08:45 PM

I mowed the whole place with it yesterday and it burnt just a drop over one gallon of diesel. For comparison, I will burn two gallons of gas in my Woods mowing the front and back yards and then switch to the kubota for mowing the large side yard.

Needless to say, I am more than pleased! The Mitsu L3E is the smoothest running little engine too.

I did find a lot of hacked wiring on it that I will have to clean up. As well as getting the fuel sending unit hooked back up. And a oil pressure gauge.

I'll post pictures of all of it of course.
  • Cvans, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#8 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,470 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 07:59 AM

rear steer nice machine handy for corners  and scrubs & such , often wondered about diesel engines in them in general   

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 09:06 AM

Yes, the rear steer is nice for circling... boy is it hard to get use to though. Been a while since I drove a forklift! You have to turn a little early and recover early.

I mowed for the second time yesterday with it. I am thrilled with the Mitsubishi diesel, it is strong as a mule. I had a couple of places down hill of my garden where the grass is really liking the manure that I put on the garden... meaning the grass was 12"-14" deep. To test it I just kept pace and went on through it and I could hardly even tell the difference.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#10 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 09:58 AM

I have a 322D an love it!

Kenny,

Have you had any success at finding supplier part numbers for parts on your TORO? I can find any TORO part number I want but (besides filters) I have yet to find good cross referances for simple parts like axle seals or bearings.

• KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 03:10 PM

Bob, see if the attached pdf looks to be correct.

Attached Files

• KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 02, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Kenny,

Have you had any success at finding supplier part numbers for parts on your TORO? I can find any TORO part number I want but (besides filters) I have yet to find good cross referances for simple parts like axle seals or bearings.

I've used Toro on-line to find parts #'s for mine!

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 03:21 PM

Thanks guys. I just re-read my last post and it doesn't make sense. My question isn't clear so I'll try again.

I've got full parts manuals for this thing but what I am looking for is NON-TORO part numbers.

Say I want to order an axle seal for the drive axle... I know TORO didn't make the seal and chances are the seal is used on many applications. There has to be a "supplier part number" that I can use to order it at the local parts house.

Edited by twostep, July 08, 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Does your's have the Dana Axle? If so, those were used on JD's and several other tractors. I cannot tell from the PDF above what axle it has. Haven't worked on one of those so I don't have #'s to cross to.

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 09:24 AM

Wow, didn't realize that I hadn't updated this thread in a while. Last winter I had the power unit in the shop and completely rewired the whole machine. All new wiring, gauges, switches, mechanical oil pressure. No I can actually see what the thing is going. It maintains about 25-30psi when up to operating temps. I've been mowing with it all summer and still love it.

Kenny, yes, I believe it is a dana axle.

• olcowhand, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks