5 replies to this topic

#1 sack199 OFFLINE  

sack199
  • Member No: 71848
  • 9 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 11:11 PM

Hello all,

Hope everyone is well and thanks to all of the people who have kept the Bolens forum alive and well. I was able to gather a bit of information before my recent purchase of a ST 160. I hope I will be able to contribute a little as well to the forum. First here is a pic of the tractor. ST 160 model and I believe the first year of the line (1984). 

Bolens.jpg

She is a little rough around the edges, but the typical solid machine. I hope to refurbish her to some extent this fall or winter. For any other ST owners I have attached the Repair Manual to this post. I just received an owner's manual which I will work on posting as well. 

As for question about the tractor, the mower belt keeps popping off a pulley that is at a slight diagonal (left side) and I was wondering if anyone had a quick fix suggestion versus the belt needs to be replaced because it has stretched.

The second part of my recent purchases has to do with a Model 30326 tiller attachment. It is the appropriate one for this machine, and while it is in pristine condition (for its age), there is no manual. Does anyone have the manual or be able to provide instructions on how to hook it up? I also need to know the appropriate belt size too.

IMG_1963.JPG

My thanks ahead of time and take care.

mike

Attached Files

• Traill95, boyscout862, laurarg3 and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 03:06 AM

Welcome to GTT. Someone will be along to answer your questions. Good Luck, Rick

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:23 AM

:welcometogttalk: Was that actually still built by Bolens?

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:52 AM

Hello Welcome to GTT :wave:

Nice looking machine

The ST160 was made 1984 to 1987 then made another reappearance in 1990 -1993

Do you know the actual model number of your machine on the ID plate?

I would check your pulley's for alignment as well as determining if that belt is correct. These were a special size and material and not an "Off the shelf" size

The 30326 is indeed for the ST series

The drive belt is a big one and is 1747725 (Can get you one if need be)

I do not have an owners manual unfortunately , the repair manual you uploaded shows the tiller hooked up though

• boyscout862 and wurzel have said thanks

#5 sack199 OFFLINE  

sack199
  • Member No: 71848
  • 9 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. The machine was built in Port Washington and the Model Number is a 3016H-01 which makes it an '84 (The deck #30048S also has a Port Wash address).

I have to assume that it is the correct belt (new one on order though) as the previous owner was in the small time lawn mower repair business and this was his personal mower. But since I do not know the age of the belt, who knows if it will last days vs. months.

As far as the tiller, I saw the schematic on the Parts Manual for the mechanical hook-up (which seems pretty much common sense). The problem is that there are two pulleys on the sideview diagrams and three on the device. And it does not show the schematic for hooking up the belt to the drive as well. Oh, well. I guess it will be some trial and error. I'll try to take photos for future reference.

#6 Scott Pa OFFLINE  

Scott Pa

• Member No: 5875
  • 19 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:47 PM

The 48" cut mower had a problem with the belt jumping off, There was a guide kit for the pulley to keep it from happening, I think a saw one on Ebay.