#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 10:35 PM

Got a chance to get the Brinly Hardy seeder / aerator out today and hook it to Bob ( the Homelite) before the lawn service came to apply fertilizer and grub control. This is the first year we have tried the lawn service for fertilizer. The only reason we did it was that we went in with four of our neighbors and got 6 applications for a great price. I've had the tiller on the Homelite all spring and took it off and decided to pull my new $49 seeded / aerator around. I've had it for a few years but have only used it a handful of times. It holds 80# of seed fertilizer, etc.. I just pulled it empty but it needs some weight to make the spikes go in as deep as i would like. In a few weeks my neighbor and I are going in on a bunch of pellitized lime to try to sweeten the area around our pine trees in the yard. Wife and I planted some new grass this spring and it is doing quite well, I am surprised because I normally have one heck of a time getting it to grow. Mostly because the acidic nature of the ground due to the pine trees. We put tit down 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was growing in 7 days. cut it the first time earlier this week. We used a combination of screened top soil and starter fertilizer and a grass seed mixed specially for our area. After laying down some dirt and seed and fertilizer and just raking that in so it covered the seed away from the birds we watered it nearly every day just to keep it wet to germinate. I have been wanting to aerate for some time and figured it was time. I finished just as the lawn service arrived to spray. Here a few pics. Thanks . Roger

DSCF9386.JPG

DSCF9383.JPG

DSCF9384.JPG

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 03:27 AM

Homelite looks happy pulling that around!

• hamman said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,101 Thanks
  • 3,194 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 04:18 AM

Neat the way the front axle is made on that tractor. Gives good ground clearance in the centre. Looks like your having fun. Noel
  • hamman said thank you

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 05:55 AM

In a few weeks my neighbor and I are going in on a bunch of pellitized lime to try to sweeten the area around our pine trees in the yard. Wife and I planted some new grass this spring and it is doing quite well, I am surprised because I normally have one heck of a time getting it to grow.  We put tit down 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was growing in 7 days. cut it the first time earlier this week.

arrgh... I have an area that I have been throwing down seed onto for probably 6 weeks-2 months, and I have more new maple trees coming in still than grass.  Plenty of starter fertilizer, and I did the pelletized lime thing,  but my need for that was due to my dogs instead of pine trees.... I have a thread elsewhere about this.  The area I have is probably 2/3 "green" now (finally) and what did come in was finally tall enough to mow  for the 1st time (probably 4") this go round I just wish it was more grass than baby trees though.  I;m glad you got yours to come in so quick.

We are in a very rainy weather pattern right now, I was watering at least once, sometimes twice a day until last weekend don't have to for at least the next couple days,   I have a couple more bags of seed on hand, ready to go down if needed. 

• hamman said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 06:51 AM

Looks like a nice rig.
Tell Bob he did a nice job.
  • hamman said thank you

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:09 AM

In a few weeks my neighbor and I are going in on a bunch of pellitized lime to try to sweeten the area around our pine trees in the yard. Wife and I planted some new grass this spring and it is doing quite well, I am surprised because I normally have one heck of a time getting it to grow.  We put tit down 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was growing in 7 days. cut it the first time earlier this week.

arrgh... I have an area that I have been throwing down seed onto for probably 6 weeks-2 months, and I have more new maple trees coming in still than grass.  Plenty of starter fertilizer, and I did the pelletized lime thing,  but my need for that was due to my dogs instead of pine trees.... I have a thread elsewhere about this.  The area I have is probably 2/3 "green" now (finally) and what did come in was finally tall enough to mow  for the 1st time (probably 4") this go round I just wish it was more grass than baby trees though.  I;m glad you got yours to come in so quick.

We are in a very rainy weather pattern right now, I was watering at least once, sometimes twice a day until last weekend don't have to for at least the next couple days,   I have a couple more bags of seed on hand, ready to go down if needed. 

We too had the " Pooch spots " in the yard. We scarfed the area up and put down some black dirt. Scattered some grass seed by hand and then starter fertilizer. We then laid down another thin layer, just enough to cover grass seed, of black dirt and lightly with the back of a leaf rake raked it in. Then watering at least twice a day for nearly 7 days before it started to grow. Even after it started to grow we watered until it started to rain enough to sustain the growing. We will mow again this week and for the first time for some of the new grass. The PH in our yard is way off from the pine trees. We had another spot in our yard from a tire cleaning product from when we washed and detailed our truck a few years ago. Grass died and I had to dig up the ground around that spot and do the same process to it as we did with the rest of the new grass. I now make it a rule that tire shine / brightener is used only on the drive or on the concrete. Thanks.

Roger

• dodge trucker said thank you

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 06:02 PM

sounds like I did everything the way you did,  except the going to the nursery for the "local blend", I went thru 8K sq foot worth (according to the bag) of Scotts "smart seed"    So far anyway that seed don't seem very smart, it let the helicopters (maple tree seeds) overtake it.

• hamman said thank you

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:41 PM

I'm not sure of the germination period of the Scotts brand. I have used their products in the past and wasn't impressed. It grew a little but died right out after the weather started getting cooler in September. I found out about the local mix and have used it a few times now. I actually got mine from the local Ace Hardware. I hope yours comes in for ya. Nothing like having a nice green lawn. Good luck. I'll let you know how this does as the summer goes on.                            Roger

• dodge trucker said thank you