Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone rebuilt a Tuff Torque K71B hydro?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thompson1600 OFFLINE  

thompson1600

• Member No: 2490
  • 2 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:05 PM

Transmission is starting to get weak and will need to be rebuilt in the near future. Has anyone ever rebuilt a tuff torque K71B hydrostatic transmission? It's on a John Deere GT245 tractor. I have contacted Tuff Torque and asked for a service manual, but haven't heard back from Darrin. He did send a schematic and parts list though. Looking for advice on this project. Thanks

Tom

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Try some 30W oil in there

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:33 PM

It's great that you can get all the parts you need. Many are hard or impossible to get individual parts. I've been into many hydro's & repaired them, but never bought anything but used parts, and most times I had used parts from donor tractors. This unit looks complicated, mostly due to the hydro incorporated inside the final drive. Best thing is to get inside for a look. May need machine work to the hydro body where the piston cylinder face runs against, as I see no replaceable wear plate on this one. If face is machined, then the cylinder face must also be machined/resurfaced.
Soon as you get into it, you'll likely find some nasty looking oil. If it has a drain plug, which most of these type do not, then many times an oil change does wonders.
I see the repair kit comes with 2 cylinder/piston assemblies, and the pump body. Not sure what it would cost, but likely high....but then you wouldn't have to pay for machine work either.
Once you decide to get into it, bend our ears anytime!

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Please if you tear in to it post lots of pics as it would be great for future reference. I am always eager to learn about them all.

#5 thompson1600 OFFLINE  

thompson1600

• 2 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 09:18 PM

I will post photo's if/when I get into this. Not sure if I'm going to try to forge ahead with rebuild, or buy a used one to keep the tractor running and then rebuild the current one slowly.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 04:53 AM

I will post photo's if/when I get into this. Not sure if I'm going to try to forge ahead with rebuild, or buy a used one to keep the tractor running and then rebuild the current one slowly.

I like Daniel's idea of changing the fluid first before spending any money on it. Might be all it needs.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 05:41 AM

I like Daniel's idea of changing the fluid first before spending any money on it. Might be all it needs.

:ditto:

#8 thompson1600 OFFLINE  

thompson1600

• 2 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 01:13 PM

Here's what it's doing; It seems to run great in forward, sometimes on hills seems a little sluggish, but not real bad. However, in reverse; sometimes it will just sit and grind, then if you move forward a slight bit and go back into reverse it then works fine. You think just draining and changing oil could help that? I hope the answer is yes!

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 01:44 PM

Here's what it's doing; It seems to run great in forward, sometimes on hills seems a little sluggish, but not real bad. However, in reverse; sometimes it will just sit and grind, then if you move forward a slight bit and go back into reverse it then works fine. You think just draining and changing oil could help that? I hope the answer is yes!

Does it seem like it is more the transmission side or the hydro side? I don't know how the hydros are setup on them. It would still definitely be worth changing the fluid and go from there. It would be a lot cheaper and probably needs done anyway.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 02:18 PM

Reverse uses all the components in the same way, just runs the fluid the opposite direction, thus running the motor piston set the opposite direction. The reverse problem sounds more like it's in need of some work on worn linkages? But when you say "grinds", is this a true grinding sound like gears not mating? I know with some of mine when linkages were worn or way out of adjustment, I would sometimes have to do the forward, then back thing. That or just "slam" it into reverse.

#11 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 02:28 PM

Reverse uses all the components in the same way, just runs the fluid the opposite direction, thus running the motor piston set the opposite direction. The reverse problem sounds more like it's in need of some work on worn linkages? But when you say "grinds", is this a true grinding sound like gears not mating? I know with some of mine when linkages were worn or way out of adjustment, I would sometimes have to do the forward, then back thing. That or just "slam" it into reverse.

Ditto on trans not hydro problem.

#12 thompson1600 OFFLINE  

thompson1600

• 2 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 02:33 PM

I am not sure about the grinding and actual gears. In the occasional occurence where it won't go into reverse, I guess I would have to say the sounds is of something not completely engaging. Possibly a gear grinding, but it almost sounds plastic. I know that sounds confusing, but it's hard to write what something sounds like.

What would the sound and/or functional difference be with a linkage problem?