• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Logan's Run OFFLINE  

Logan's Run
  • Member No: 71828
  • 10 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 02:23 PM

upgrading from 3/4 acre to 6 acres shortly.

previously I used a little deere d110, which blew up after a whopping 32hrs.

For the new property I have been looking at new 24-25hp Kioti's and Kubotas, but I have issues dishing out the big $$'s for a single unit that will be ill suited to both mowing and caring for the new homestead. 

I have found an old Ford 1900 series which comes with most of the implements I will need and only has 860 hrs and a single owner for 30+ years.  This will give me a solid compact tractor to take care of the bush mowing, FEL, snow blower, tilling/ plowing etc..

for a lawn of 1.5-2 acres I am looking at either a deere 170 or the Toro ss5000 with the new toro 24.5 hp motor.

sooo.  I am looking for opinions on the deere or Toro as the main mowing machine and my decision to go with an older ford rather than a decked out 30 000$ new sub compact..

I cant find any reviews at all on the new toro v-twin motor....

• MH81, BTS and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 04:13 PM

:welcometogttalk:

The Ford would probably be a nice tractor to have, here are the specs for it http://www.tractorda...-ford-1900.html being it's 30hp on the engine, it could do quite a bit of work, I have a Kubota L2000 (20hp) and it does a surprising amount of work. Does this tractor have a loader or are you planning on getting one?

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Edited by BTS, June 11, 2015 - 04:26 PM.

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 Logan's Run OFFLINE  

Logan's Run
  • 10 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 05:26 PM

it comes with the loader, 5' bush hog, 3 blade finishing mower, rear grade blade, snow blower as well as 6"/8" augers for the posthole digger.

its the 4x4 as well

• JD DANNELS, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 06:03 PM

it comes with the loader, 5' bush hog, 3 blade finishing mower, rear grade blade, snow blower as well as 6"/8" augers for the posthole digger.

its the 4x4 as well

If that's the Ford you are speaking about, sounds like a nice package.

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 06:12 PM

If the ford has all the implements as a package this would be a no brainer for me. I like the older equipment especially since you know it's history of low hours & probably well taken care of. Let us know what you do....with pics :)

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 06:22 PM

How does the lawn lay? If it is hilly the Toro Zero turn could be a problem going across the side hill.
The caster wheels always want to go down hill.
The local TORO dealer also carries Exmark, a commercial machine and tells me he prefers the TORO, and it would have less down time since he stocks more parts.
The Zero turn will mow much faster than a tractor type machine.

My brother has a JohnDeere zero turn, on a postage stamp size lawn. He says it takes longer to take the tarp off and put it back on, than it does to mow.

I have 9 acres and use a Ford 1500 for all but the lawn(most of the time). Mowed the lawn with it Monday..
I am very pleased with it.. My tiller and mower work it,and I sometimes wish I had got a 1900.
The extra 10 hp would play with the tiller and mower, where the 1500 is riding right off the governor.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#7 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 07:01 PM

How does the lawn lay? If it is hilly the Toro Zero turn could be a problem going across the side hill.
The caster wheels always want to go down hill.
The local TORO dealer also carries Exmark, a commercial machine and tells me he prefers the TORO, and it would have less down time since he stocks more parts.
The Zero turn will mow much faster than a tractor type machine.

My brother has a JohnDeere zero turn, on a postage stamp size lawn. He says it takes longer to take the tarp off and put it back on, than it does to mow.

I have 9 acres and use a Ford 1500 for all but the lawn(most of the time). Mowed the lawn with it Monday..
I am very pleased with it.. My tiller and mower work it,and I sometimes wish I had got a 1900.
The extra 10 hp would play with the tiller and mower, where the 1500 is riding right off the governor.

If I am not mistaken TORO is built by EXMARK. When it comes to zero turn bigger is better. The larger machines handle slopes well. I have a 44" Exmark Lazer HP and it does OK on side slopes but if I had a lot of slopes to do I would have a larger machine. I have the Exmark, a John Deere front runner and a Kubuta BX 2660 with a belly mower and all have advantages. The front runner is a challenge on slopes but excellent around obstacles. The zero turn is great around obstacles and mows well on slopes that are dry. The Kubota is fine as a mower in less obstacles and most areas. Has the best power for tough mowing but the Exmark handles slopes better.

• JD DANNELS and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 07:57 PM

its the 4x4 as well

That is a nice package of accessories!

#9 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 08:40 PM

If that ford is in your price range, I'd jump on it, sounds like a great deal since it has all the attachments.

Good luck, let us know!

#10 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 05:49 AM

its the 4x4 as well

that's a nice find to get all those attachments with the Tractor

#11 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 06:17 AM

Go with the zero turn for mowing, if you don't live on the side of a mountain you won't have any real trouble with slopes. I have a fairly large septic mound in back and I mow over it and go right across the ends with no problem on my Simplicity 44" ztr.

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:08 AM

When it comes to zero turn bigger is better. The larger machines handle slopes well. I have a 44" Exmark Lazer HP and it does OK on side slopes but if I had a lot of slopes to do I would have a larger machine.

I can't completely agree with that. We had aFerris IS5000 w/72" deck, it was horrbile on any kind of slopes. Guys at church slid it into

the pond 3 times  and it really wasn't that steep. Most of us were scared to cut on the steeper banks. Our grasshopper though, you can cut a 45* hill with almost no problems.

Sounds like that Ford is the complete package. I am wondering how much of a headache it is to swap out implements? I would bet I would be looking for something else for just mowing if I had it.

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:37 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#14 Logan's Run OFFLINE  

Logan's Run
  • 10 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:43 AM

The land is almost perfect for my needs,  the back acre is sloped and treed(so not a concern for the ZTM), the house sits on about 2 acres of flat land consisting of a 2 tired area with an easy slope( 3' total rise) to the lower area well away from the house, garage and pool.  the rest of the land is in front the home and split evenly on either side of the raised laneway. From what the owners of 19 years have told me, the front acres have been fallow at least as long as they have owned the property. Although early in the season, the lack of major growth or trees on the land suggests that they do attack it once or twice a year to keep it clear.

the garage is small than I could wish for, but all in all it suits our needs.

• MH81, Cvans and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 08:14 PM

i do not find 3 point implements too bad to change. I do keep a 6 ft steel fence post handy if I have to muscle things .