• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 01:12 PM

Will a riding mower solenoid work on a garden tractor? I broke the post on the solenoid on my ss15

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 01:47 PM

For the starter the answer is yes; all of the connections are the same. Just make sure to wire it correctly.

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 03:02 PM

There are several types of starter solenoids, so the correct type must be used as a replacement. 

There are grounded, un-grounded, and isolated coils used in the various solenoids.

3-Terminal solenoids are the most common type, but a 4-Terminal solenoid is also available.

• Bolens 1000, Bmerf, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 07:31 PM

There are several types of starter solenoids, so the correct type must be used as a replacement. 

There are grounded, un-grounded, and isolated coils used in the various solenoids.

3-Terminal solenoids are the most common type, but a 4-Terminal solenoid is also available.

Bruce is right. There are several types of starter solenoids. Most common is the three wire. All work the same; 4-Terminal solenoid requires the extra terminal to be grounded; i.e. usually through the brake pedal. 

With little "tinkering" any solenoid can be made to work.

Good luck.

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 08:45 PM

Most common is the three wire. All work the same; 4-Terminal solenoid requires the extra terminal to be grounded; i.e. usually through the brake pedal. 

With little "tinkering" any solenoid can be made to work.

Good luck.

While any solenoid can be made to work, it may require a lot of modification to the circuitry.  

Not all 3-Terminal solenoids work the same. 

One type is grounded through its mounting bracket and requires 12volts to be applied to the small terminal to activate the solenoid.  

The un-grounded type has one side of the solenoid coil connected internally to the battery terminal of the solenoid and requires the small terminal to be connected to ground to activate the solenoid.  ....This type of solenoid has one large terminal labeled as "BAT." 

If the equipment is wired so the key switch applies 12v when in the start position, the first type of solenoid is required.

If the equipment is wired so the key switch connects the solenoid's small terminal to ground, the second type of solenoid is required.

If the wrong type of solenoid is used, the switch and/or wiring would have to be changed, which may affect other things, such as the ignition circuit.

To further confuse the issue, there are two types of 4-terminal solenoids.  ....One type can easily replace either of the 3-terminal solenoids, but the other type of 4-terminal solenoid can only replace the grounded 3-terminal solenoid.

#6 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 09:36 PM

One type is grounded through its mounting bracket and requires 12volts to be applied to the small terminal to activate the solenoid... 

If the equipment is wired so the key switch applies 12v when in the start position.

This is the most common solenoid. I would guess probably 95+% of the systems use this type.

The un-grounded type has one side of the solenoid coil connected internally to the battery terminal of the solenoid and requires the small terminal to be connected to ground to activate the solenoid.  ....This type of solenoid has one large terminal labeled as "BAT." 

If the equipment is wired so the key switch connects the solenoid's small terminal to ground, the second type of solenoid is required.

I personally have never came across this type of solenoid. Not to say that it does not exist; just it would be uncommon.

On most of the 4 wire solenoids, one side of the small posts is ground, the other is positive from battery, to complete the circuit.

Most; and I will qualify this; riding mowers where made as economically (cheaply) as possible. This equates to a positive signal coming from the starter switch to the solenoid; thus a three wire; positive to small post (lug), ground is through attachment point system.

I have been wrong before. Tomorrow I will look at every Sears tractor I have, but I believe they all are three post solenoids with the key switch positive to the small lug on the solenoid.

• MH81 said thank you