• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Farmer up the road has a sign out..."Free Goat Manure"....

Well, free is always good, but I know nothing about it....I have gotten some horse manure the last couple of years, a bit weedy, but not too bad.....

Anyone know about goat manure, how long it has to sit, how strong it is etc?

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:07 PM

Goat Manure Sheep Manure all the same it's no different then any other as far as I know [I'am no expert] we've had some of these on the farm and used it in the garden and had no problems.Usually put it into the garden in the fall and then worked it up in the spring.As with any manure weeds are a given as what the animals injest the seeds make there way out thats where you get the weeds.The seeds don't break down just go thru the animal.Again I'am no expert just used different manures from chicken,turkey,ducks,pigs, cows,sheep,goats,horse's.You know typical farm stuff and tthe garden did good.And look at me I can still BS, LOL Larry

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:25 PM

I nominate Larry for resident poo expert :D

I know nothing about the stuff other then I am sure it stinks like any other manure LOL.

I am glad you posted this though because we are suppose to pick up a pickup load of cow poo this weekend to put on our garden. I was wondering how long you have to let it sit before using it?

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:45 PM

I got a load of horse manure last spring and one in the fall....The spring stuff had a lot of straw in it, guess the horses bedding in the barn......It worked fine though, a few weeds. You want it to sit at least 6 months, I would think......maybe make a pile and put it on the garden in the fall...Ask the farmer how old it is.....The stuff I put on the garden in the fall will get tilled in this spring....If I get this goat manure, I will put it in a pile for the summer and till it into the garden next fall.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:46 PM

I got a load of horse manure last spring and one in the fall....The spring stuff had a lot of straw in it, guess the horses bedding in the barn......It worked fine though, a few weeds. You want it to sit at least 6 months, I would think......maybe make a pile and put it on the garden in the fall...Ask the farmer how old it is.....The stuff I put on the garden in the fall will get tilled in this spring....If I get this goat manure, I will put it in a pile for the summer and till it into the garden next fall.

This is going to be fresh stuff, like less then 2 weeks old. I am sure it will be really smelly but it will be mixed in with straw from the bedding also.

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:56 PM

This is going to be fresh stuff, like less then 2 weeks old. I am sure it will be really smelly but it will be mixed in with straw from the bedding also.

I would let it sit in a pile until fall......

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:58 PM

I would let it sit in a pile until fall......

I think so too, we don't have to worry about being in such a hurry then to get it.

#8 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Goat manure from healthy goats is pelletized like deer , or rabbit. Fairly sanitary to handle. A lot depends on the bedding material. Some people bed with wood chips, some with straw, some with sawdust. some with nothing at all. The pellets break down fairly quickly, but I usually pile it up and let cook for at least a month or two. I have tilled it in right away, with no problems,as rain or ground moisture will break it down pretty quick, depending on the bedding of course. And, I don't think you will be too repulsed by the odor either. Bad odor usually comes from bedding that has been left in barn that is soaked with urine and not changed in a timely manner.

If you do use the Goat manure, please post your experiences, good or bad.

PS, as to weed issue, be advised that free range goats eat a lot of browse such as leaves, and shoots from briars, rose of sharon, and about any thorn type bush. I have never had any problem with passage of anything worse than Fescue, or grass.

Regards. George and Sandra Williams, Phoenix Herd. Alpine Dairy Goats

Edited by dryrun, March 29, 2011 - 08:28 PM.