• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#196 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 07:01 PM

Flooding like crazy and leaking around the bowl.

#197 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 06:48 PM

I'm thinking about bypassing the fuel pump I noticed today it leaking.

#198 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:41 PM

I'm thinking about bypassing the fuel pump I noticed today it leaking.

Won't run, gas tank is lower than the carb and gas doesn't flow up hill unless pumped.

#199 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:54 PM

The ss15 fuel tank sits about 3 inches higher then the carb

#200 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted November 27, 2015 - 05:03 PM

My Do List for the Sears SS15. First I want to rebuild the old carb and throw the aftermarket in the trash. 
Briggs and Stratton Carb Kit 
New Intake bolts 
New Float 
New Breather Tube 
Bypass Fuel Pump 
Find a Sears throttle lever 
I hoping to start working back on it soon but I can't start this week to many Dr appointments . 

I think this will finish the SS15 or at least I hope.

#201 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • Member No: 78175
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 04:55 AM

My carb on a Briggs 16 ate my lunch for a while , it all started with the choke shaft coming apart from the linkage arm and the choke staying on all the time ,  I cleaned the carb about 4 times by soaking it in a gallon can of carb cleaner and compressed  air , adjusted the float , polished the valve seat and it kept over flowing , it was horrible when I first took it apart , had green crystals which I think was ethanol gas that separated and pitting in the bowl , so I bought  and installed a kit for the carb , hard and soft parts and it still leaked , I have a brand new tank , fuel lines and filter so recontamination after cleaning  wasn't likely , I took the carb to the old guy at the lawn mower shop , he had the needle valve seat and the tool to install it , only charged me $10 to pull the old one and install the new one , it went for about 2 days and I came home from work and there was a puddle on the ground , at that point I had over $50 into the carb and a new one listed like $250 so I ordered an after market carb for $46 off ebay , it has been a couple of months and no problems ----was your after market carb new or used , I have bought a bunch of after market carbs over the years and have had good luck with them , is your tank clean , a speck of rust is all it would take to make it leak ----a trick the guy at the lawn mower shop showed me , that didn't work for me , was to take a drill bit the right size and lightly  by hand spin the bit in the needle seat back wards a couple of times , then use a Q-tip swob with some rubbing compound and polish the seat  -----or ----- when you say it is leaking around the bowl , could it be from the gasket between the bowl and the body , if so you may be able to use a piece of glass ( very flat ) or a table top would work and lay a sheet of fine sand paper over the flat surface and mill the bowl as it may be warped from uneven tightening 

• Alc said thank you

#202 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 12:46 PM

My carb on a Briggs 16 ate my lunch for a while , it all started with the choke shaft coming apart from the linkage arm and the choke staying on all the time ,  I cleaned the carb about 4 times by soaking it in a gallon can of carb cleaner and compressed  air , adjusted the float , polished the valve seat and it kept over flowing , it was horrible when I first took it apart , had green crystals which I think was ethanol gas that separated and pitting in the bowl , so I bought  and installed a kit for the carb , hard and soft parts and it still leaked , I have a brand new tank , fuel lines and filter so recontamination after cleaning  wasn't likely , I took the carb to the old guy at the lawn mower shop , he had the needle valve seat and the tool to install it , only charged me $10 to pull the old one and install the new one , it went for about 2 days and I came home from work and there was a puddle on the ground , at that point I had over $50 into the carb and a new one listed like $250 so I ordered an after market carb for $46 off ebay , it has been a couple of months and no problems ----was your after market carb new or used , I have bought a bunch of after market carbs over the years and have had good luck with them , is your tank clean , a speck of rust is all it would take to make it leak ----a trick the guy at the lawn mower shop showed me , that didn't work for me , was to take a drill bit the right size and lightly  by hand spin the bit in the needle seat back wards a couple of times , then use a Q-tip swob with some rubbing compound and polish the seat  -----or ----- when you say it is leaking around the bowl , could it be from the gasket between the bowl and the body , if so you may be able to use a piece of glass ( very flat ) or a table top would work and lay a sheet of fine sand paper over the flat surface and mill the bowl as it may be warped from uneven tightening 

I found the float wasn't set right but the old is still going back on so I can have choke again.

#203 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 05:37 PM

the choke was no problem on the after market carb , I drilled one small hole in the linkage arm of the carb for the wire to fit into 

• bbuckler said thank you

#204 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 05:47 PM

Here's a pic 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1826.jpg
  • IMG_1825.jpg

• Alc and bbuckler have said thanks

#205 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 04:04 PM

Anybody know what the rpm should be set at ? I got a new tachometer and want to try it out,

#206 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 05:00 PM

Can't get it below 2000 without cutting out

#207 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 05:19 PM

#208 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 07:33 PM

I have my twin set to ~2400 Idle and ~3530 for Governed. You don't want it to idle too slow, it will starve for oil. PS, the specifications for a single cylinder calls for 1500 idle, and a twin is 1750. I guess if you can't hit 1500, then there is still something not right.

• bbuckler said thank you

#209 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,887 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 07:35 PM

I have my twin set to ~2400 Idle and ~3530 for Governed. You don't want it to idle too slow, it will starve for oil. PS, the specifications for a single cylinder calls for 1500 idle, and a twin is 1750. I guess if you can't hit 1500, then there is still something not right.

They said at MTF that it sound like a air leak I'm going to order new gaskets.

#210 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted December 12, 2015 - 08:00 PM

Yes, bad gaskets would be an issue, I have had a loose throttle shaft in the carb cause rough idle also. It will let air in where it is not wanted.