daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 11:38 PM

I saw a poorly restored Allis 912 for sale recently.  It was poorly repainted.  I don't know how it runs.  It says gear driven.  It looked like it had three forward and one reverse and had a hi/low gear option.

The rear end didn't look anything like any other GT I've seen.  I'm not familiar with these Allis Chalmers GT's at all.  Who made them?

This one comes with a mower deck that looks intact and a single stage snow blower that used to be yellow.  Throw out some prices to me also, if possible.

Thanks.

• georgepf11 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 06:45 AM

I have alot of the earlier AC/Simplicities where the parts are interchangeable but I don't know about those "newer" ones. If it looks bad, it probably is bad. I'd skip it unless it was $50 or less. I picked up a nice Bolens 850 from the nephew of the original owner  last week for $50. It hasn't run in years but I figure for that price I can play with it.

Download the manual http://gardentractor...service-manual/ and learn about it before you go to look at it. Be Prepared. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 11, 2015 - 07:06 AM.

• daytime dave said thank you

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 07:32 AM

The Allis 900 series was built by Simplicity (actually owned by Allis Chalmers at that time), and it's twin sisters are the Simplicity 7100 series tractors.  All parts and attachments are interchangeable between the two.  Older front attachments (your blower is a '60's model if it was originally yellow) can also be interchangeable, and adapted with the correct hitches.  I'm guessing he has that conversion done...a picture would easily tell.  Rear attachments will work just fine with the right belt length.  Mid mowers require a pulley conersion for proper speed, and there are some lifted height clearance issues if an older deck is used on a newer machine...but folks make this work all the time.

912 was available in hydrostat and in '6-Speed' configurations.  Sounds like you have a 6-speed on your hands.  It's a very reliable setup.  Simplicity made that cast iron, adjustable slip differential transmission, in-house, and with little modification from 1959-2000.  Hydrostats use a modified version that takes power from a Sunstrand belt driven pump.

The 6-speed is basically a belt driven 3 speed (plus reverse) gear shift transmission with foot clutch, that has a second set of pulleys that provides a low range of a little less than half speed in each gear.  It's a pretty bullet proof design.  The idler/tension pulley on the drive belt simply shifts from one pulley set to the other when shifted from high to low.  No planetary gears etc to care for or worry about.

GROUND SPEED - SIX SPEED TRANSMISSION

Gear:  Lo-Range   /   Hi-Range
First:     0.7 mph     /    1.6 mph
Second:1.7 mph    /     3.7 mph
Third:    2.8 mph     /     6.1 mph

These tractors did have optional electric power lift, and were Kohler K series powered.  A rough one without power lift and with only a deck in good running condition should run in the $150-350 range.  They are quite common and not as popular as the hydros.  I wouldn't give the blower a whole lot of value...$50.  The hitch (if correct), however, can fetch up to $100 when the snow flies.

• daytime dave, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 08:30 PM

Thanks fellows.  

Rick, I always forget about the manual section here, thanks for the link.

From what I have learned here, I'm going to pass.  He wants way too much as far as I'm concerned.

• boyscout862 said thank you