Engine acting strange.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 breimer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Mowing lawn today with my Ford 120 with Kohler 12 HP engine. Ran perfect for about 20 minutes.Then it began to labor abnormally. It got worse and worse. Turned the mower off. No difference. Pressed the clutch pedal disengaging the transmission drive.No difference. Pulled the throttle back about half way.Ran perfect. Full throttle again and immediately it began to labor again. Tried mowing at half throttle, soon it began to labor again. Shut it down and let it cool down. Tried again and it worked perfectly till it warmed up and same thing happened again. Any one have an idea what's going on with this thing?
  • georgepf11 said thank you

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 09:02 PM

coil or condenser going bad  or dirt in fuel line getting sucked to pickup point then settling while tractor is allowed to rest

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,263 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 09:48 PM

Try removing the gas cap when it starts getting weak.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 alexbenton92 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 70681
  • 18 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 12:24 PM

Sometimes the pin the float in the carb pivots on gets corroded and won't let enough gas in the bowl to run full throtle but enough for idle. Something to check

#5 saskfarmer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 71850
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 02:13 PM

Mine was doing very similiar first time out this year ,turned out to be corrosion/rust on the needle valve. Replaced fuel line and filter , cleaned bowl and float valve no effect. Shined up needle valve and cleaned  the tiny fuel ports ,runs perfect now. This is on a  Wisconsin but I if I remember correctly the Kohler we had at one time used a very similiar type of carburation. Todays fuel causes all sorts of headaches on the small engines on our farm. Hope that helps.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Really have not been into my garden tractor carbs.
But I once had the carbs off a Honda CX 500 and found what looked like lime deposits in the high speed jets.
My theory is that Ethanol being its nature alcohol collecting water allowed enough to cause lime deposits?

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 12, 2015 - 08:07 PM.