Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Cyclone Rake

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 07:32 PM

So I got this new Cyclone rake to use in the fall because my old vacuum trails behind like a trailer which gets me into trouble at times. It works fine but I wanted to try something new. I tried it out tonight because I had a lot of grass laying around and the grass itself needed cut. We're having a grad party this weekend and I didn't want people tracking grass into the house. Well this thing works fantastic but I have a question for any of you who own one of these. Does your Cyclone Rake have its way with your tractor? Steering became an adventure and a little unnerving at times. I guess I need to get used to it but it can't just be me having this issue. I'm thinking it having beet juice put in the fromt tires to help remedy the problem. Anyone else have this issue? If so, what did you do about it?
  • Chopperhed and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 08:18 PM

Picture of an cyclone rake, please. Don't know if I ever saw one. Thanks, sorry for not knowing, Noel
  • David Brown said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Picture of an cyclone rake, please. Don't know if I ever saw one. Thanks, sorry for not knowing, Noel

Here's the website. That will tell you more than a simple picture.

www.cyclonerake.com

Edited by David Brown, June 10, 2015 - 08:25 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#4 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 09:40 PM

I've wanted one for years but could not justify the price.  I hear they work great.  I think your right, load the front tires, or depending on your tractor, put a couple weights on a bar that would be easy to remove when not using the rake.  Good luck with it.

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 05:57 AM

Nice machine, not what I was thinking of. It looks like it does not swivel where it hooks to the tractor, like a trailer. So that would make it hard to turn to more weight that gets into it. Extra wight, front rib tires or larger tractor. Thanks , noel

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 06:44 AM

Nice machine, not what I was thinking of. It looks like it does not swivel where it hooks to the tractor, like a trailer. So that would make it hard to turn to more weight that gets into it. Extra wight, front rib tires or larger tractor. Thanks , noel

That was my thought as well.  I think I will have the front tires filled by fall.  Maybe an extra set so I don't have to have them on all the time.  Hmmmm, something to think about.

You're right about no swivel.  It has castor wheels and a two point hitch to make it more maneuverable.  You can get around trees like you're not towing anything.  I couldn't do that with the old one.  I didn't count on my tractor being man handled though.  It may not be so bad with dry leaves but the grass really gets heavy.

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 07:08 AM

What tractor are you using it with?

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 07:20 AM

You can't be the only person with your problem. Have you contacted the manufacturer for advise?

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 07:21 AM

What tractor are you using it with?

It's a Toro/Wheelhorse classic 315-8 (pic below).  They show my particular model of Cyclone Rake being used with smaller, lighter tractors.  Higher horse power but lighter machine.  My neighbors both have Cyclone rakes.  One has a tractor that I know out weighs mine but the other pulls his with a box store Cub Cadet.  I'll have to ask him if he has any issues like this, especially since he hardly has a level spot in his yard.  His rake is a little smaller but there isn't that much difference in them that it wouldn't be heavy.

Tractors 011.jpg

Edited by David Brown, June 11, 2015 - 07:21 AM.

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 07:25 AM

You can't be the only person with your problem. Have you contacted the manufacturer for advise?

No, not yet.  I wanted to talk to some rake owners before I go that route.  My tractor falls under the parameters needed for this model rake but it is on the small end.  I think the loaded front tires will make a big difference.  This wont be something that causes me to get rid of the rake.  It's like plowing snow where you spin a lot or can't push as much snow as you think you should be able to.  You just add weights and maybe chains and try again until you get it right.

• LilysDad and propane1 have said thanks

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 06:15 PM

I can under stand the part about getting around trees or what ever. That would work good. Have to watch in close areas that the cyclone, when it swings out from turning, it does not hit some thing. Great idea, Noel.

#12 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 08:06 AM

I got a used one last fall and its worked VERY well so far. It's the larger bag size and I've had it FULL. I'm pulling it behind the GTX-18 which is an 800+ lb tractor. No issues with steering but when it's full you know it's back there. Not so much with difficulty pulling it but you can feel its affect on the rear end a little. Kind of the tail wagging the dog. Especially when the castors (mine has the double wheels) are swinging around changing direction. That causes the rake to really move around and you definitely feel it. Overall I like the solid mount (they call it a two point hitch) but there is a small learning curve when maneuvering around tighter objects especially when turning away from them. You tend to forget the tractor is now 10 foot longer and the rear swings around fast as you turn. While going around a small flower bed and concentrating on where the deck was, I smacked the side of the rake against a nearby tree pretty good.

I have read of people trying to move sideways across a slope with a full bag having issues with the rake wanting to pull the tractor's rear down the slope but that's just common sense.

Performance wise the impellor does a serious number on leaves, litterally turning them to dust. My tractor mower deck doesn't really mulch them much so it's all the Cyclone Rake. That leads to my only real complaint, they expel a HUGE amount of dust. My wife shot some video of me using it and it looks, no joke, like a steam train rolling along with a 30 foot column of dust shooting out the top. On a breezy day all that dust was blowing around the neighborhood and I had some folks that were none too happy about it. Every time I used it for leaves the tractor, Cyclone Rake, and I were completely covered in dust. I even had the brown face with clear areas from the safety glasses look going on.

Mine is kind of a hybrid with the smaller diameter hose but the bigger bag. I didn't check this out as thoroughly as I should have as it was the middle of leaf season and I was desperate to find one quickly. It has some rust issues on the underside of the frame and the plate on the blower housing. I liked it's performance enough that I'm in the market for a newer one with the larger 8" hose now.

Edited by Canawler, June 12, 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 09:07 AM

I got a used one last fall and its worked VERY well so far. It's the larger bag size and I've had it FULL. I'm pulling it behind the GTX-18 which is an 800+ lb tractor. No issues with steering but when it's full you know it's back there. Not so much with difficulty pulling it but you can feel its affect on the rear end a little. Kind of the tail wagging the dog. Especially when the castors (mine has the double wheels) are swinging around changing direction. That causes the rake to really move around and you definitely feel it. Overall I like the solid mount (they call it a two point hitch) but there is a small learning curve when maneuvering around tighter objects especially when turning away from them. You tend to forget the tractor is now 10 foot longer and the rear swings around fast as you turn. While going around a small flower bed and concentrating on where the deck was, I smacked the side of the rake against a nearby tree pretty good.

I have read of people trying to move sideways across a slope with a full bag having issues with the rake wanting to pull the tractor's rear down the slope but that's just common sense.

Performance wise the impellor does a serious number on leaves, litterally turning them to dust. My tractor mower deck doesn't really mulch them much so it's all the Cyclone Rake. That leads to my only real complaint, they expel a HUGE amount of dust. My wife shot some video of me using it and it looks, no joke, like a steam train rolling along with a 30 foot column of dust shooting out the top. On a breezy day all that dust was blowing around the neighborhood and I had some folks that were none too happy about it. Every time I used it for leaves the tractor, Cyclone Rake, and I were completely covered in dust. I even had the brown face with clear areas from the safety glasses look going on.

Mine is kind of a hybrid with the smaller diameter hose but the bigger bag. I didn't check this out as thoroughly as I should have as it was the middle of leaf season and I was desperate to find one quickly. It has some rust issues on the underside of the frame and the plate on the blower housing. I liked it's performance enough that I'm in the market for a newer one with the larger 8" hose now.

Excellent, thank you.  What you say above is just what I am experiencing.  Tail wagging the dog.  I'm sure a little weight up front will make this unit much more enjoyable to use.  I too have no problem pulling it even when it was near full but I have to get the sloped part of the yard done first which is what I always do anyway.  I did opt for the double wheels as I knew weight could be an issue.  Yes, there is a lot of dust coming out the top but with the neighbor on each side of me having one, who can complain?  Seems like the exhaust will keep me warm in the fall.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:37 PM

my best guess is full of grass you would be carrying in excess of 300 lbs. It sure will effect the handling of your GT.
My 318 has the powerflo two bag unit and I sure can tell when the bags are full.