5 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 05:55 PM

I had to deschmuck my ZTR (Derby/Ferris/Simplicity 23/54) due to the yard being a swamp for the last 6 weeks. Power washed the thing from every angle. When I fired it up to bring it back in the shop, it had no power. I grabbed the IR and found it was only lighting off on one cylinder. One spark plug wire was pinched between the voltage regulator and a hose to the wheel motor. I freed that and found it to be worn 20%. wrapped it with 6000v tape. It fired up and ran a lot better with no load, but when I let the brake off and took the handles out of neutral, it started cutting out. I suspected water in the kill circuit plugs/ switches somewhere. A day later it fires up and runs good with no load, Bogs down while moving and wont hit 2000 with the PTO engaged. drained the carb bowl but that didnt help. Choke doesnt do much either. *(only makes it worse)*

Did I kill the mag? I hate to start parts swapping without a better guess than what I have now. The yard needs mowing (again) and I hate to put it off, but I might give it another day or two to fix itself and it will take me that long to get the parts anyway.

Edited by tater195, June 10, 2015 - 05:58 PM.

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 06:21 PM

It looks like I still have a weak ground in the kill circuit, it sputters when I pull the handles but not as bad as before. Does the "WD" in the WD40 even work any more? It looks like I need to pull all the plugs and shoot them. Cant do much for the switches but wait.

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 07:45 PM

First thing I would check is the push rods to see if one is bent. Will not cost a thing to rule it out. I have had a run on bent push rods lately from briggs, kohlers and Kawasaki. If it tuns out to be a push rod change the lifter two. The cheap oil will cause the lifters to plug up and stick.

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 10:05 PM

I wont rule out the p/r clearance, just kinda weird that it started when it got wet. I hate to be that guy that asks for advice, then argues with the answers. It did strip out the exhaust valve rocker a few weeks ago, but that is the side that is firing good now.

#5 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 10:10 PM

First thing I would check is the push rods to see if one is bent. Will not cost a thing to rule it out. I have had a run on bent push rods lately from briggs, kohlers and Kawasaki. If it tuns out to be a push rod change the lifter two. The cheap oil will cause the lifters to plug up and stick.

Not sure this one has lifters. I have been in a few that it has happened... bought them cheap!!!

#6 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Verdict is a wet switch... it runs like a top today.

Now I gotta finish scraping the deck and sharpen the blades. Mid mount deck and there is a lot more to dropping the deck than just pulling a few pins. Gotta get (or build) one of those MO-JACK things