#1 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 11:44 AM

I posted about this in the Facebook for these tractors as I needed more general info on them since I have never really had an interest in the tractors but I found a pair of tractors as stated. Both tractors appear to look the same from a distance and the attachments seem to be in fair condition and complete since they are still on the tractors. Both tractors are sitting outside rusting away but the owner says that most of the stuff he is collecting :( .

Here is my situation I am 15 and would love these tractors to use around my grandparents farm. What are some tips to talk him out of them? Thanks

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 11:56 AM

Ah...I know the type well.  Quite honestly, I have been successful in purchasing items from such men, but it takes TIME and PATIENCE.  Best thing I have been able to do thus far, to really move a stubborn fella, nudge him to stop by MY PLACE, or to visit a local show where I am exhibiting.  Seeing the care and appreciation I put into my collection has won over several stubborn collectors.  After being told NO, I will also offer my assistance in finding parts, manuals or fixing any tractor issues he may have.  Everyone 'collects' in their own way, so sometimes it just takes a little sharing/caring to bring home the iron.  I'm not just out to grab as much as I can...I'm looking for a fair buy on something I'd like to have, and I will look to make a new friend in the hobby.  Local allies can go a long way.

Something else I like to do, and for no other reason than to be personable and friendly, send them an email or call them about a year later.  I mark the anniversary of such 'wins' on my computer calendar.  I fill them in on how their old equipment is holding up, or what I have done to improve it.  Recently, I sent out an invite to an older gentleman who met me at a local show, before agreeing to sell my his old Landlord...to come visit me at that same show this year, to see his old tractor on display, decked out with factory accessories and attachments.

After all this, next thing you know, that stubborn guy may or may not sell to you, but it's likely he begins telling you of his 'friends' who also have machines of interest!  :thumbs:

• TomLGT195 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 01:37 PM

Before you talk him out of those tractors, you better talk to him to find out what kind of condition these things are in.  Being Power Kings and the fact they are sitting outside, you really need to be concerned with the transmissions.  When these tractors are left out uncovered, they most certainly will have water in the transmissions.  It's just the design of everything, water rolls right down the shifter and right into the tranny.  You would be surprised at how much will get in there.  If they have been outside for a long time (years) then I would worry that the trannys are shot.  Aside from that, look at the normal stuff like pitting on the hydraulic rams and such.  If you appear knowledgeable, he may feel more comfortable selling them to someone who he knows will take care of them.  Get the serial numbers so we can pin point the years of manufacture.  You can use all of this information in making a deal should one materialize.  Most guys like that would rather leave them out to rot away before letting go of them.  I never could understand that mentality but whatever.

One thing you could do is try and assure him that they would be fixed up and put to use on the farm.  Some of these guys will let go if they know the machine will be put to good use.  He may actually be worried that someone may buy them to part them out.  Assure him you won't do that.  It's sad to say this but we have to be real here, you are 15 and he may not take your word seriously because of your youth.  Perhaps take dad or even grandpa along to show him that you are indeed serious?

• TomLGT195 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#4 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 03:30 PM

OK guys. I just called him and he said he will part with the one with loader. Going off of what David Brown said, how much would a tranny cost to replace? Thank you. Hopefully later this week or next week I can get back to his place(13 miles away) and look it over, take some pics, and see what he was thinking on price. Then I will come back to you guys with all the info to see what you guys think they're worth. Thanks

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#5 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 08:29 PM

I'd love to have wheel weights on this tractor if I can get it. If it dont have weights on it now how much do they cost? That way I can factor them in when giving an offer.

#6 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Hi,

Wheel weights for the 16" rear wheels are typically $150-175 used. New ones are $250 ish at Mission Mfg in Indiana.

If 24" rear wheels they can be had for slightly less as Farmall Cubs used the same and are more readily available.

Good luck.

Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, June 10, 2015 - 09:00 PM.

• Alc and VintageIronCollector have said thanks

#7 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 03:33 PM

What's a fair offer?

Trans shifted good and steering had no slop engine was free.

Tractor # 60315
Power King Brand Loader # 35-02609

left side of hood said 1614 but right side said 1416. Also it has 14hp k321 engine.

0612151356-00.jpg

0612151402-00.jpg

0612151402-01.jpg

0612151407-00.jpg

0612151408-00.jpg

#8 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 07:49 PM

You may be able to pick up a set of weights at a farm auction cheep. I got a set of spit weights for 35 or 40 dollars a few years ago and they are 100 lbs per wheel. I think the factory PK weights are only 65 lbs.  DSC01696.jpg DSC01697.jpg

#9 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 12:11 PM

Ok asked seller and he wants $2500. Guess it will keep sitting where its at.

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 12:39 PM

Ok asked seller and he wants $2500. Guess it will keep sitting where its at.

You did the right thing.  He has one too many zeros in his price for that tractor.  There are projects and the are PROJECTS.  Dude,  THAT is a PROJECT.  Extended shifter.  Would love to hear the story behind that one.  Decals saying 1416 on one side tells me that the tractor has possibly been refurbished once already... and it still looks like that!?  I haven't checked the SN yet but it's somewhere around an 81 to 83 made right before the fiberglass models took over.  Just because the shifter shifts smoothly doesn't be it doesn't have water in it.  Try it when the temps are 20 degrees or colder and see what you get.  I guess on the plus side, it's all there and the sheet metal seems to be in good shape.  The loader is the good loader.  Sitting outside for as long as this one has, I would be pretty leary of the whole thing unless I could get it for a really good (can't say no) price.

Edited by David Brown, June 15, 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,014 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 01:22 PM

Hi I agree that's way too much for that tractor sitting out in the elements, maybe the extended shifter was to shift with your mouth when driving and running the loader? :D :dancingbanana:

#12 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 02:49 PM

I will agree that $2500 is too much but $250 is too little. What do you think is a reasonable price?
imo $1000-1200 is where I think it should be, to be a good risk to buy and get running/useable.

Edited by EconChuck, June 15, 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 08:51 PM

I will agree that $2500 is too much but $250 is too little. What do you think is a reasonable price?
imo $1000-1200 is where I think it should be, to be a good risk to buy and get running/useable.

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, you're right. $250 is too low. I was just expressing the fact that the price as is is way too much. I guess $1000 would be fair given the fact it's all there with a FEL. I guess it doesn't matter anyway I guess.