#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,666 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Place on street by me always has things for sale and a number. Does NOT belong to house next door, many ask.  Now there is an old Farmall with loader and a Massey ten sitting there. No price or number at this time. Pretty rough, but yet the engine is missing, but the start/gen is still setting about in normal place on it. There is some mower belt pulleys on it's side, no deck. Thinking a $50 buy, but that guy knows what stuff sells for and probly wants more. It is a stick but variable drive, the nose plastic is broke and almost gone. Surface rust all over. Tires no air.

Like I need it anyway...............really.........like them..........gotta go back!   Two steps backward?

• MH81, tinbender7, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#2 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 06:04 AM

Did you buy it yet?

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,666 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Yes I did! Figured 4 $35, had to go home with Me! R U F F is the word here. Hard o roll on trailer with all the flats. Didn't even tie it down with 1/2 mile drive home. Real suprised Gen mounts to chassis, not engine. Is rusted tight tho. Raining hard here now, so will stay on trailer, put air in tires maybe b 4 rolling off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150612_183436.jpg
  • 20150612_183448.jpg
  • 20150612_183458.jpg
  • 20150612_183517.jpg
  • 20150612_183602.jpg
  • 20150612_183542.jpg
  • 20150612_183527.jpg

• MH81, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,666 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 05:59 PM

Mama not happy, of course. Told her same cost as meal out, yet can still enjoy this longer, heh!
  • KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 06:05 PM

No Mama here, just me to take the blame! What color is this one going to be?

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,666 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 06:29 PM

You know with that square hood, could be a late model MM for sure, heee! :smilewink:  Can't just build another same/ol Massey like everyone elses!  BUT, sure like the red on those.  If MM yellow, would have to make the silver parts Brown, what think?  This would be long way off anyway, who knows what will happen.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,666 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 12:31 AM

Just a note: Aired up the tires today and one on each end are holding, other pairs are not. Big one in back had big split in it from sitting flat I guess and that one never did catch on. One front one good other held long enough to roll off the trailer, which went well, kinda all by itself. I had trailer off truck and when gate went down whole thing reared up and tractor just rolled off by itself. Kinda funny! Best to unload while still hooked up for the good ones, ha! Rolled over to driveway and setting there now with the two speedex's from last trip. I gotta get them apart or something to get into the garage or shed. Another attic tractor maybe? Will be trying to put the boat in garage this winter and it will take up lots of space, not sure what is going to happen to all the stuff?  Think the tractor lift that I never use anyway might be going vertical for the winter.......mmmm....back-ache getting that up somehow.  Wait! Why not the short way vertical along a wall? That sounds more do-able, just the short way.

Edited by glgrumpy, June 14, 2015 - 12:32 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 08:02 AM

Glad your giving it a home GL
Even if you rebadge it, it's better than going for scrap, once you get it moving on its own, you'll like it with the vari-drive.

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,666 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 04:57 PM

Local guy had GT wheels all over yard for sale. Stopped in and he said wasn't looking for a lot for them......Pause......NOT true I found out. He was asking like $80 for fair pair on wheels (JD of course and worh more he said) and even little fronts like $20 each and some no matches and pretty dried out.  I did find ONE to fit this massey with JD wheel again (yellow) and couple odd fronts that had BIG 1" axle bearings and little bigger hub centers. My Speedex need the 1" holes, so maybe can throw on those to move around for now. Have couple of flats on those.  SO, got home and put the JD wheel on the Massey and more air and good to go for rear now, but fronts had gone down again. Put a litte more air in them and thing rolls around like a new one now, till the fronts go down that is, heh! Sure steers nice, only thing going for it at moment.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 15, 2015 - 06:38 AM

GL, on the ones that leak slow...
Pull them off, let the air out, put in half a pint of green antifreeze and slosh it around.
Air them up and slosh around a couple more times. Then put it back on.
Might just save them. The ethylene glycol will plug the cracks. I don't know how long, I'm just experimenting with this myself after being told... But with positive results so far"
  • limebuzz, KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,666 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Been tearing into the Massey last couple days when  I can.  I'm just tearing it all down, everything is way rusty and needs loosening and rebuilding of pretty much all of it. Major problem now is the steering wheel, like most times on old stuff. Hate that job. I just might get mad and break it off and get out torch for metal center, but trying other stuff first. Right now under pressure with puller and soaking in PB Blaster.  Surprising to me bolts are coming loose, not snapping off. I'm amazed on how many things are bolted on to this frame, instead of just being welded on like most. Many little brackets come loose. Hope I can recall where they all go back when ready!  I will need a parts display for sure. I had Massey books when I did one before, but have let them go with that sale. SO, will be printing out some more now.  I'm wondering about those special clips made with wire, not flat tin on most shafts. Can regular flat ones work in those places? I'm sure no way to find those made with the round wire like those are. Waiting on wheel to attack the dash coming apart. I see it is broken on most of it's mount bolts to center tower. They pack alot of stuff in that tower and dash, hard to get into and see what is needed to remove.  Steering front axle and rear-end are gonna be last things off I'm thinking. These are odd with that long One-piece frame that everything bolts up to. Really heavy metal there, not just some pressed tin thing. Putting it all in boxes for now, working on it much later. Looking like an Attic tractor for awhile, ha!

• limebuzz said thank you

#12 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 864 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Those little wire spring clips are $ 3.40 from MF. And yes they are still avalible. Go figure for that price. 

#13 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 07:49 PM

Those little wire spring clips are $ 3.40 from MF. And yes they are still avalible. Go figure for that price. 

I just use c clips if i break or lose one.

#14 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 864 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 08:20 PM

Thats what i decided to use too,way cheaper

#15 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,666 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 01:04 PM

Darn steering wheel is not going to move, so............I got mad and cut off the spokes with Saw-Zal  and got torch out and carefully whacked off the center hub. By By wheel!  It was all cracked up and wrecked anyway. I had to heat the coupler on the Speedex too, but long as heat on it, it seemed to come off. Soon as it cooled some, no go. Shaft sure was deep into it too. Man, steering wheels are my worst enemy on these old tractors. NOW, can work on dash and tower removal, then axles come out and should be about done with main tear-down.