• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 12:01 AM

Hi all, what a day, I am getting to old for this, I laid 100 rolls of sod this afternoon, but im pushing 60 and that's a young mans game, didn't help that they were wet and heavy and I had to carry them over 75 feet over soft muddy ground but the price was right at $2 a roll delivered, enough of the complaining and to the problem at hand I have a weed/vine that wraps itself around everything, growes twice as fast as anything in the garden, over the last couple of years I have pulled it out, tilled it under, sprayed it with glyfoss (roundup) farm duty at 2-3 times recommended strength, this only slightly yellows the leaves but seems to make it bounce back even more aggressively any other products you think might work? I will have to drive down to the states to get it as most of the good products that worked have been banned,
  • hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 12:17 AM

A farmer buddy of mine told me that if you mix roundup to strong it acts more like a fertilizer than weed killer. Maybe try using a different type of weed killer. If the weeds aren't dying after you spray them they could be somewhat immune to that type.
  • Alc, boyscout862, farmer john and 2 others have said thanks

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 04:24 AM

Can you use a propane torch in the area and control the weeds by flaming. They will grow back after awhile, but you then give them another heating. Noel
  • boyscout862, farmer john and chieffan have said thanks

#4 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,869 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 05:14 AM

IMG_1010.JPG I don't have weeds I till my garden and lay down black plastic woven tarp like material punch holes for what I'm planting and that's it. No weeding rolls are 6' by 100'

• Alc, farmer john, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 05:15 AM

I have several types of pests  but they are only in a few small areas. Cutting them and pulling them out of the ground gives me alot of satisfaction. Let them grow abit then, pull them out. In some places it has killed them. Good Luck, Rick

• farmer john and propane1 have said thanks

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 05:27 AM

2-4-D is good for woody vines/plants, but may be getting harder to get.  Also I believe it requires an applicator's license to purchase.  It does NOT harm grasses at all.  Maybe a farmer friend can pick you some up?

• Alc, farmer john, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 06:17 AM

Can you take a photo?" weed/vine that wraps itself around everything, growes twice as fast as anything in the garden," is kind of vague.

If it is a perennial bindweed, they are just about immune to everything. And when you till, it cuts up and spreads the roots around.  I've been told to keep pulling them until they get tired and die.

• Alc, boyscout862, farmer john and 2 others have said thanks

#8 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 06:32 AM

This may not be the answer to your particular problem cuz it depends on where your using it. Go over to your feed mill and get a bag of CORN GLUTEN MEAL. You can put it anywhere you want, even on the grass. It will not kill anything but works like preen. It will prevent seeds from germinating, so don't use it anywhere you may want to plant seeds. We use it in the flower beds around potted plants. Side benefit is it also provides nitrogen.
  • farmer john, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 07:18 AM

Your vine is apparently growing back from the root.  to get rid of it you have to kill the roots.  Nato77 was right on to strong a mixture of Round-up.  Mix it the regular strength and add about 1 cup/3 gallon sprayer of liquid nitrogen, fertilizer type nitrogen (N28).  I use this on thistles (Canadian, Musk, Bull mostly) with good results.  The N28 will open up the leaves for faster absorbsion of the Round-up.  Got this information several years ago from professional sprayers when I drove tender truck for them at the local Ag-Chem company.  Good luck.

• Alc, Nato77, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 08:15 AM

I have a couple questions. You say this is in your garden so your looking for a selective method of eliminating this plant without killing off your garden produce? Do you have the garden planted? Chemicals are sometimes needed, but in my garden I try to use as little as I possibly can
As was mentioned pictures would be helpful.
The vines that would wrap around and strangle your garden plants would most likely be Morning Glory and Bind Weed in my area. I understand they grow from risomes underground and can take years to eliminate completely.

I have the same issue with Morning Glory in my strawberry patch and it is planted with small holes in plastic mulch for the plants.
The only thing I caN do is pull them. Anything that would kill the Morning Glory would kill the strawberries.

If you identify it as Morning Glory or Bindweed you can do a google search and find tons to read on eliminating it.
It seems to be a problem all over the continent.
  • farmer john said thank you

#11 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 09:11 AM

Sounds like bindweed/wild buckwheat to me too, and it is a pain. Hand pulling is about the only sure way I know of to get rid of it but it seems to take forever. We haven't been able to (legally) use 2-4-D in Sask. for a while now. The cynical members here will probably agree that that is because it works too well, lol. I agree with Chiefftan, with Round-up more isn't always better. I've spent hours cutting bindweed of the tines on the Honda walk-beside tiller because I thought it would get chewed up when I worked the garden----- it doesn't. I wish you luck and many happy hours pulling weeds, there definitely is a lot of satisfaction in tracking down the last scrap of the roots and yanking the little devils out. And burning them, nya ha ha!

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 09:24 AM

Here's a trick I've used in sensitive areas on vine crap.

Small plastic bowl with a half inch of roundup in the bottom. On calm day, set next to weed and place the vine in the bowl and let it sit there all day. Remove from dish and watch it croak.
  • Alc, LilysDad and farmer john have said thanks

#13 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 09:39 AM

Slightly off topic... has anyone read up on the origin of 2-4-D? It has changed in the last few years. Prior to that, they said it was developed during WW2 to increase farm produce by making the crops grow faster. Now they are saying it was developed as a cancer causing weapon used in chemical warfare and is/ was an ingredient in agent orange

• farmer john, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 09:53 AM

We can still buy 2-4-D over the counter here. Just sprayed the yard to eliminate weeds for the summer. Stuff works good.  :D

I like to spray the evening before it rains to help keep animals from coming in contact with it. 

Use Round up in a spot sprayer only. Sprayed vines out by the garden and it looks like it's doing the job. Only follow directions when mixing though and haven't tried it stronger. 

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 10:28 AM

Slightly off topic... has anyone read up on the origin of 2-4-D? It has changed in the last few years. Prior to that, they said it was developed during WW2 to increase farm produce by making the crops grow faster. Now they are saying it was developed as a cancer causing weapon used in chemical warfare and is/ was an ingredient in agent orange

I think there is a partial truth in both those statements. It was and is an effective deterent for weed control when used properly.
Last summer I was in the farm supply store buying Roundup and ran into my wifes uncle and we were talking about it,
he is a farmer going back into the 40s. He said I alway figure if a little is good, more is better.
it was used commonly until there was evidence that wild birds were not hatching due to thin eggs and was exposed in the documentery film Silent Spring.
As for the chemical warfare thing, 245T was used in Viet Nam as a jungle defoliate so the Viet Cong moveents could be seen.
The billions of gallons used was in excess of anything humans should be exposed to, and yes cancer has been attributed to it.
My generation was there and a goodly number either have cancer or have passed due to it.
I do not believe it was deliberate or malicious, I think the decision makers had no clue what they were getting into.
Like any tool if used improperly it is dangerous.
  • Alc, Cvans, farmer john and 2 others have said thanks