31 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 07:09 PM

A few years ago I was given a decent sized pop up trailer. It was beyond use for camping, but I thought it would work for a trailer. This weekend I stripped it down , a few ants and a couple mice lost their home. It appears to strong enough to support a tractor. 2x10 deck boards will be used, that should work just fine.

Here's the question; it has a torsion axle. Is this strong enough? Or should I convert to a leaf spring setup? The tag said 2245 GVW . So a 800lb tractor should be no problem, but how about my LGT195 with a loader and counterweight, probably 1800+lbs.
Thanks in advance , Tom

Here's the stripped trailer and a close up of the torsion setup .
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
  • hamman, johndeereelfman, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 07:19 PM

If wanting to transport the LGT195 with that much weight, I think I would change to leaf spring set up. The torsion axle were good for the camper weight, but if adding anything heavier, I think you might have issues down the road, mostly with handling. Those pop ups were made with the bare essentials, mostly to keep them light weight and in-expensive. Just my two cents, but you can do as you want. Good Luck! 

• grnspot110, tinbender7, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Your LGT 195 is going to really push the weight limit.  It only allows for 450 lb. for the trailer weight.  The GVW is underrated for safety reasons but then take age into consideration.  I would try and find another torsion axle and put it under and make a tandem out of it.  Will ride much better and pull better and will increase your GVW considerably.

• tinbender7, Chopperhed, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 07:35 PM

GVWR ratings can be interpreted both ways with the trailer or without. Not all states rate them the same way. I have heard horror stories of loads being within their GVW in one state & being over loaded in another with severe penalties. To be on the safe side I would change to leaf springs & go HD on everything. You can get whole axle assemblies pretty reasonable if bought together. Looks like a good project.
  • tinbender7, Chopperhed, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 07:45 PM

Tom ,can you get a brand name and model # from the axle itself ?
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#6 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 08:17 PM

That is a camper frame not a flat bed. It was designed to support the load of a camper spread out. As far as axles go I would not use spring ride on any small trailer. The torsion axles are far superior to the spring suspension system. It is too light to use for that much weight so don't try to bandaid it to work as suggested. A trailer needs to be over built not under built. With 40 years in the trailer industry I have learned a little. Oh yea, when you start with junk it is always junk.

Edited by Kurtee, June 08, 2015 - 08:20 PM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#7 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 08:21 PM

Would it be too much trouble to connect it to a tow vehicle, clamp two 2x10's  on it, load the tractor and see how far it sets down ? That may be the answer to  your concerns.

Good Luck

Gratton

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 09:20 PM

I'm an outsider on this one. 

I say since some of your load will be on the towing vehicle,  you would be fine. 

A trailer that is loaded with no tongue weight pulls like crap so you want the tongue a little heavy.  That gives your axle a decent safety margin with the weights you are figuring on.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Gtractor, June 08, 2015 - 09:21 PM.

• grnspot110 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 09:30 PM

For what you could invest to make it haul more than 1000 pounds of anything... You can buy a nice used or new trailer that fits the need.

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 03:59 AM

I made a utility trailer out of an old pop-up camper.

It was ok, but about 1000# is all it would take.

Be careful in what you do here, as an accident isn't worth a small price for a good trailer!

#11 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 04:46 AM

Yep, that trailer frame was made to haul 1000lbs spread out over an even surface.  when you change it around like that you risk way more than you can gain, leave it alone and use it the way it is but don't overdo the weight limit.  I would stay well within the limits if it were me, putting the 2x10 boards down will help to distribute the weight but not much.  good luck with it.

Pete

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 07:08 AM

I made a utility trailer out of an old pop-up camper.

It was ok, but about 1000# is all it would take.

Be careful in what you do here, as an accident isn't worth a small price for a good trailer!

I agree with this.  I've seen it done, it worked ok, but don't load them up.

Around here a fella can pick up a brand new 5'x10' trailer for under a grand, $995 was the sale a few weeks ago.

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 07:36 AM

It really don't make any difference that it was a camper frame or what it was.  Bottom line is the weight will be on the end of the tongue and the two torsion springs.  The spread of the weight has no bearing.  Weight is weight, weather it is down the center or spread over the whole frame.  Definitely going to need 6 ply tires if you can find them in that size.

Edited by chieffan, June 09, 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#14 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the all the input.

I will keep it that way it is with the new tires i have for it, most of the time it will be for regular garden tractors that I pick up when I can't get everything into the truck. Once done i will try the 195 on it, but don't plan on using that for any lengthy ride, maybe just across town. I have access to a couple small car trailers if I really need to haul the 195 anywhere . I will probably use this a couple times a year at best so keeping it simple is my plan.  

A wire diamond mesh rear gate. The mesh and all the angle iron are compliments from the job site, I  rescued them from the dumpster.

IMG_1409.jpg

2x10  for the deck.Just a front frame, welded  and stake pocket type sides if needed. Also plan on welding on D rings to secure the load. And of course a new set of lights all the way around. My goal is to invest under $200. 

• Gtractor, Alc, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#15 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 05:04 PM

The great thing about a  trailer like that is that it will be light weight, you wont even really notice it back there.  I have seen lots of campers made into flat deck trailers very successfully you just have to know your limits when loading it.  one other nice thing about the torsion spring setup is that it will ride over bumps better, you wont get that clang bang like in a normal axle setup.  Send pics when you get it done, I like to see projects come together.

Pete