MTD Farm King

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bwfultz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 71612
  • 11 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Recently purchasedarrow-10x10.png a Farm King 16HP Hydro Static, with I think a 50" deck and tiller box. Old tractor seems to be in really good condition for its age. I think it is a 1978 model by the model # 148-990-205, serial # 41-006-4469. Has a 16 HParrow-10x10.png B&S engine model #326431, type #0228-01, code #7802171. Havent been able to find any numbersarrow-10x10.png on the tiller box, but it is 3 point hitch drive shaft driven as is the deck, no numbersarrow-10x10.png on it either.

Havent been able to get it to startarrow-10x10.png, no sparkarrow-10x10.png to points or plug. Change condenser , key switch, checkedarrow-10x10.png all the wiring, cleaned the flywheel and magneto with no luck so far. Thinking it might be a bad magneto, but haven't been able to figure out how to checkarrow-10x10.png that so far.

Was wondering if anyboy knows where I might find any implements that might work on one  these type tractors (front loader, plow, cultivator, roller, aerator, log splitter, front weights, etc.)  Any info or helparrow-10x10.png with this would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1301.JPG
  • DSCF1302.JPG
  • DSCF1303.JPG
  • DSCF1305.JPG
  • DSCF1306.JPG
  • DSCF1307.JPG
  • DSCF1308.JPG
  • DSCF1310.JPG
  • DSCF1311.JPG
  • DSCF1312.JPG
  • DSCF1313.JPG

• Alc, KennyP, Traill95 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 03:58 PM

Welcome to GTT. Nice machine. Check the flywheel key. If it is partly sheared the spark may not work. You can download the manuals you need from our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day). The B&S Repairmans' Manual is excellant with a troubleshooting guide. Attachments are hit or miss. Watch CL, EPAY, and our sponsors. I just bought some parts for my 1969 MTD from Joes'. Ask when you have questions. Good Luck, Rick

There will be many generic attachments that will fit your 3 ph.

Edited by boyscout862, June 08, 2015 - 04:00 PM.

• holdenboy1960 and bwfultz have said thanks

#3 VTXrider OFFLINE  

• Member No: 16031
  • 459 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 03:58 PM

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum and the 990 family.

If you read through past MTD posts, many are about the 990 and 960. There is a lot of information on this forum and on MyTractorForum.

The 3pt is a cat 0 but some cat 1 implements will also work with modification. Most are found locally or on Craigs List. Manuals can be found at the top of the MTD forum. It looks like yours does not have the deck lift carriage.

I have a B&S service manual you can DL from my MS OneDrive. It includes the 16hp for the 990. 

You may have spark but don't see it. You have it apart far enough to do the "grab hold test" and rotate the flywheel past the magnets. You should feel it.

Edited by VTXrider, June 08, 2015 - 04:08 PM.

• boyscout862 and bwfultz have said thanks

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 08:23 PM

Nice Mtd & welcome to the family. Have you checked your safety switches. You should have two one next to the PTO lever & one activated by the brake. If their bad check with our vendors. I had to buy mine new on ebay. Check out the other info on here....plenty to look at & study.
  • bwfultz said thank you

#5 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 09:39 PM

Disconnect the Black wire that is attached to the Coil and then see if you have spark.  All the black wire is used for is to kill the engine if the Magneto is good then with that wire disconnected and the flywheel key isn't sheared then  you will see spark,

Almost forgot my manners, Welcome to gt talk,  That is a work horse of a tractor, get it running and you will love it.

Edited by Arti, June 08, 2015 - 09:40 PM.

• bwfultz said thank you

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,042 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 06:24 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Nice looking tractor.

On the spark, take some sand paper to the flywheel and clean the rust off. May need to do the same for the.ends of the mag toward the flywheel. Some times you can get some fine paper to slip through that little gap and clean enough to see if it will get fire. I think that gap is about a business card thickness.

If you could, get some dimensions of the drive shaft for the tiller. I have one here that needs the drive shaft.

• bwfultz said thank you

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 07:21 AM

Welcome and nice find.

As far as implements and attachments go, you've already got one of the more desired items:  the tiller. :smilewink:

Are those 15" wheel weights actual MTD items?  I can't tell from the pics and I haven't seen any in real life.  They would have MTD cast into them if so.  They could also be Bolens weights as well but I'm not familiar with what they look like.

• bwfultz said thank you

#8 Gabriel OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 09:30 AM

Welcome to GTTalk!

• bwfultz said thank you

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,244 Thanks
  • 29,698 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 10:57 AM

Hello fellow Hodgenvillian!  I remember you in school if you are who I believe you are.  You graduated in 77.  Not seen you since school days.  The guys have already given you some info to work with.

• bwfultz said thank you

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 07:12 AM

Remove the mag coil and clean mounting posts on block, and clean rust off the mag itself and especially where the ground wire goes to mount screw. Clean up the mount screws too. This is to get better ground. Remove the points set and clean block to fresh metal and back of points set, again to get good ground. Make sure the wires going back thru the tin on back of flywheel area on the nut connector there are clean and not touching on metal. One of those wires comes out to the points box and usually is on a little insulater tab on top points cover screw. IF that is broken and wire touches ground, will not spark. This is the kill wire.  I've also had trouble with the little Breaker that is on bottom of the center hood brace, near the dash end. Remove the two wires off it and join and see if any difference. OR, maybe wires are pulled off the same breaker and need reconnection? These are what I have found for no spark on some of my 990's in past. Applies to many Briggs engines really. Try new plug too.

• bwfultz said thank you

#11 bwfultz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 71612
  • 11 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 11:06 AM

Update: Finally got her running. It was the points after all. Runs great. Hooked the tiller to it and it seems to work really good also. Recently picked up a Cub Cadet 2084, am in the process of trying to put it back together at this time also. Still looking for any additional attachments for the 990 and now for a Cub 2084. Real interested in finding some type of front end loader for either of these. If any one has any info on one, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the help and suggestion I have received on here.

• Bolens800uk said thank you