• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 20, 2010 - 08:26 AM

Oh I knew he was a "Cat Man", but if it were me, and wanting to depict a Cat, I'd one-off the sheet metal work to truly look like a Caterpillar instead of trying to make a Bolens look like one. Still a nice piece of work.

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 01:50 AM

cool machine, I remember seeing that in a Farm Show I think, not sure. I think it looks pretty nice as a Caterpillar, not sure it it is any better than this one..... mine. This is what my 88 Craftsman GT18 looked like when I bought it, been working to improve it though.
Cat3.jpg

#18 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 09:42 AM

This is what my 88 Craftsman GT18 looked like when I bought it, been working to improve it though.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9448[/ATTACH]

When you said it was Yellow, and you referred to it as the Caterpillar, I guess I didn't completely follow. NOW I understand. LOL Did the previous owner give you a back story?

#19 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:24 AM

I didn't really look at this tractor as a Cat/Bolens issue when I first replied about it last spring. I think it's a great job of fabricating. I envy people (including a lot of people on this site) that have the talent, ability, and equipment to make these machines. It doesn't bother me to see someone make a few alterations as long as some of the original tractor is still usable.
On the other hand, seeing videos of people driving good tractors into creeks or smashing them up against one another is very upsetting.

Not trying to make a rant about any of this. I just enjoy seeing you guys put your talents to work.

When I look at this "Bolens", with the front axle removed, it reminds me of the story of the Le Tourneau earth scrapers that were made this way. Most of the scrapers, at the time, were coupled to 4 wheeled vehicles. Everybody thought Le Tourneau was nuts with this design... until they saw how fast his scrapers could haul dirt around.

#20 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:45 AM

I think this is the same " cat" piece of equipment a saw several years ago at a show in Rice Lake, Wisconsin. If I remember correctly the steering was a chain and sprocket setup with a small sprocket on the steering shaft. It seemed the steering was geared down quite a bit as it took lots of turns on the steering wheel to turn it all the way from left to right.

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 12:45 PM

When you said it was Yellow, and you referred to it as the Caterpillar, I guess I didn't completely follow. NOW I understand. LOL Did the previous owner give you a back story?

Yea, he bought it already painted up like a Caterpillar to haul logs up a hill LOL. He put the ags on it though, they were free to him, and uh... junk lol. It has 18 HP B&S opposed twin horizontal shaft and it has the Hi/Lo transaxle, which when he bought it... was stuck in low... and when I bought it... it was stuck in low... By the following weekend I had the range selector pin freed up cause the tractor was so slow in low that by the time I got to the shop on the PO's gas it died 10 feet from the door (300 yard drive). And worse was I didnt have any gas left in any cans so had to push it in... oops lol.

#22 bolens1053 OFFLINE  

bolens1053

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1997
  • 53 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 06:57 AM

Looks like it could be a 1053 or a 1254 going by the rear fenders.

I have a 1053 and that looks like it could he one.......... Wish that thing was my mine :)

#23 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 02:05 PM

Its not the only one around, here my 1886s-05 a former PO painted cat colors.
l 008.jpg

#24 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

twowheeler63

• Member No: 3509
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 11, 2011 - 07:05 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I saw a Bolens tractor like this one at TOTFS in 2000, painted the Bolens colors. Almost has to be the same tractor. I have a "hard" picture of it somewhere.