- - - - -

Another Father Lost Using Cell on The Road

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 08:32 PM

The cop can always look at the phone and see when the last text was sent. They were trying to pass a law here to make it illegal to receive a text if you are driving. How stupid is that. Do I have to inform the whole world I am going to Autozone to get something before I leave. It didn't pass.

The first thing Law Enforcement does in a personal injury accident in Iowa is confiscate cell phones.
It is an intergal part of their investigation.
  • laurarg3 said thank you

#17 JBRamsey ONLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 887 Thanks
  • 545 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 08:24 PM

They do the same thing here--get all the cell phones when there's an accident. I see people all the time with their eyes down texting away. A couple of years ago a 30 year old woman walked in front of a moving car because she was looking at her phone and not where she was going. She was killed.

Two years ago, my uncle who was a lifelong truck driver hit a man that stepped out on front of him. He wasn't on a phone but he died in the accident. My uncle took several months off and tried to go back to driving but ultimately retired because it was so hard after that. He was a great driver. Never had an accident. When I was growing up he used to take me with him on his Saturday run. Then he had a cabover GMC. We had a steer tire blow out one day. My uncle was standing up in the cab wrestling the steering wheel for all he was worth to keep us out of the ditch. There was no power steering back then and most trucks weren't running steer axle brakes.

I have empathy for the families of the people that die in those accidents, but it takes a huge toll on the poor soul driving the other vehicle. The words "it wasn't their fault" only go so far.

Hopefully your son's friend can eventually move past it.
  • Gtractor, superaben and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,391 Thanks
  • 3,812 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 08:53 PM

A second cousin of mine was killed on his Harley about 2 years ago because a teenager was texting and pulled out in front of him.   The bike hit right in the drivers door of the car, both drivers were killed instantly.

#19 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 08:59 PM

I have empathy for the families of the people that die in those accidents, but it takes a huge toll on the poor soul driving the other vehicle. The words "it wasn't their fault" only go so far.

You are exactly right.  You never really get over something tragic like that.

Ben W.

#20 tater195 ONLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,253 Thanks
  • 896 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 09:18 PM

I friend of mine struck a MC rider after he was thrown from it after being hit from behind by a girl texting (3rd offence for her). He still cant drive buy that spot and gets nervous around cycles after a year. 

I keep my cell phone in my front pants pocket while driving. No distractions, not tempted to use it. Too damn hard to get it out of my pocket.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#21 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 07:50 AM

Cell phone usage usage in North Carolina cause more highway deaths than drunk drivers and guns combined.

#22 chieffan ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,770 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for all the comments on this.  Glad to say my son was back on the road again after a few days off.  Company councilors helped a bunch.  The other driver was back about the same time, started as a rider and after a couple days was driving again.  My son has not mentioned it and I haven't either but I am sure that section of road will not be forgot. 

• Alc said thank you