21 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 04:20 PM

My one son drives a large dump truck and was traveling with another driver, both loaded on a 4 lane road.  A late model Silverado pickup passed both of them and a short distance down the road started to turn off to the right on a side road, then turned back onto the 4 lane and crossed in front of the loaded dump truck who had moved to the left lane for a left turn further down the road.  Nothing the truck driver could do.  My son witnessed the entire collision as this is a down grade.  The impact put the dump truck on it's left wheels only against the guard rail till it contacted the end of a bridge, which brought it back onto all wheels again and on top of the cab of the pickup.  It was confirmed the follow day the driver of the pickup was using his cell phone at the time of the collision and probably never seen or felt a thing.  Less than 40 years old and left a 3 kids and a wife behind.

People, if you think you have to talk on your cell phones while driving for Gods sake get a hands free head set that works and use it.  And watch what your doing out there on the road.  Those loaded trucks are darn hard to stop when somebody pulls in front of them.  No one else involved this time.  Truck drive had minor bumps and bruises and sprained wrist. He MAY be back on the job Tuesday.  How effective he will be as a driver remains to be seen.  Will probably have a back up driver the first couple loads just in case.  They have over 300,000 tons of asphalt to haul on this job alone so that is a lot of trips he will have to make on that section of highway before the job is done.

• Gtractor, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 19 others have said thanks

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 04:30 PM

There aren't too many things you have to say that are worth your life.

• tinbender7, superaben and chieffan have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 04:31 PM

Amen to the above. How is your son taking it? Will he be able to get counseling if needed? Some companies will supply help in cases like this. It was almost as traumatic for him to witness the whole thing and not be able to do anything about it as it was for those involved.
  • olcowhand, KennyP, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 04:42 PM

Is it not illegal to use the mobile phone whilst driving? It's in the UK and I think in other European countries. It still doesn't stop people using them though.
  • hamman, KennyP, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 05:12 PM

NC is passing a law that says if you are caught holding the phone in your hand you can be fined. No excuse to be so self involved that you can't think for a minute about someone else and let your phone sit.

• hamman, KennyP, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Oklahoma has a 'No texting' law, but nothing about the idiots talking on the phone. I don't know how many folks I have seen running 90 MPH down the highway and dodging through traffic with a phone to their ear!

• tinbender7, WNYTractorTinkerer and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Amen to the above. How is your son taking it? Will he be able to get counseling if needed? Some companies will supply help in cases like this. It was almost as traumatic for him to witness the whole thing and not be able to do anything about it as it was for those involved.

It is hard on him.. Having trouble sleeping at night.  Was back on the job the next day though.  Counseling is available with the company he works for if any feel like they want it.  I think all the drivers had a mini the next morning before they left the shop.  He will never forget it.

He works on a lot of Federal funded jobs so Federal regulations are in effect.  One of those is the drivers are required to have a hands free head set of some type connected to their phone while in the truck.  He has had one for several years now just for the safety & convenience of it.

• hamman, LilysDad, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Oklahoma has a 'No texting' law, but nothing about the idiots talking on the phone. I don't know how many folks I have seen running 90 MPH down the highway and dodging through traffic with a phone to their ear!

The only way they are going to stop this kind of activity is have it built into the cars that once the key is turned the cell phone is blocked. No in or out signal what so ever.  PERIOD.  Anyone caught tampering is automatic 90 days in jail.  Don't do any good to take their license as there are a lot that are driving without insurance or license.

• lyall, KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 09:44 PM

Facebook had a Vetted under tail of Semi. Phone still in hand, Head in back seat!

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 09:49 PM

I have nearly been in two major wrecks that were avoided by the grace of God but no thanks to cell phones.  One was just like you describe, some joker jumped in front of me, a one ton truck, gooseneck and a 10000 pound tractor.  I jumped off the road into the median and ended up rolling the trailer to save that girls tail from being tied around her car's radiator. 

The other one was nearly getting t boned at an intersection.  Same truck, same trailer, but a 12000 pound excavator.  That guy ran a red light and nearly ran into my door.  I thought I was getting in the fast lane to eternity for a second. 

I can't imagine being in the other driver or your son's shoes.  Thankfully they are not at fault, no matter how you look at it, but it still doesn't make it any easier. 

Ben W.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 07:05 AM

its a simple fix, the technology is there, problem is it would cost about a buck to install in your phone, a motion sensor that kills receiving or transmitting data while moving over a certain rate of speed, all info just goes to voice mail, problem solved, I live in the country an see people walking around phone stuck to their ear, enjoy the walk, enjoy the fresh air, enjoy the company your with, basically get a life, enjoy life and relax, and as I say to my kids " GET OFF THE DA#$ PHONE!!!"

Edited by farmer john, June 07, 2015 - 07:06 AM.

• oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#12 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 07:11 PM

I said it before - here is Iowa we do have a hands free law for cell phones.

I see the all different law enforcement using cells phone a lot.  So if they are using cells phone, people think them can use them too.

• propane1 said thank you

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 12:35 PM

Oklahoma has a 'No texting' law, but nothing about the idiots talking on the phone.

Pennsylvania is the same, no texting but you can talk on the phone all you want.  The no texting part is completely unenforceable because even if an officer saw someone looking at their phone texting, they can just say they were finding a contact to call since calling isn't illegal.

Hands free setups certainly help but I find for myself, it's actually concentrating on a conversation that's distracting, not so much the holding the phone part.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 01:29 PM

I have nearly been in two major wrecks that were avoided by the grace of God but no thanks to cell phones.  One was just like you describe, some joker jumped in front of me, a one ton truck, gooseneck and a 10000 pound tractor.  I jumped off the road into the median and ended up rolling the trailer to save that girls tail from being tied around her car's radiator. 

The other one was nearly getting t boned at an intersection.  Same truck, same trailer, but a 12000 pound excavator.  That guy ran a red light and nearly ran into my door.  I thought I was getting in the fast lane to eternity for a second. 

I can't imagine being in the other driver or your son's shoes.  Thankfully they are not at fault, no matter how you look at it, but it still doesn't make it any easier. 

Ben W.

Just because the light is green doesn't mean it's safe to enter any intersection..  Watch out for a-holes like that and your life could very well be saved by that simple action.  As far as the chick cutting me off, she's a free agent and on her own.  If she wants to talk on the phone I hope it's to her estate lawyer because she's gonna need him.  It isn't worth all the damage and the potential for further loss of life sometimes to try and avoid dumb-asses like that.  The same goes for deer and animals.  Sorry animal lovers but just because an animal risks it's life by running out in front of me doesn't mean I have to risk mine to try and avoid it.  Lots of folks are killed trying to avoid the critter when they actually join the thing in the hereafter..  I've sat a more than a few green lights watching some dolt blast through the intersection & I'm sure to wave to them as they pass.  My niece was killed by such a driver who t-boned her truck..  

It's not about how fast you get there that matters..  

Getting there IS what matters..  

I'll step down now..

• superaben said thank you

#15 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted June 10, 2015 - 02:38 PM

Pennsylvania is the same, no texting but you can talk on the phone all you want.  The no texting part is completely unenforceable because even if an officer saw someone looking at their phone texting, they can just say they were finding a contact to call since calling isn't illegal.

The cop can always look at the phone and see when the last text was sent. They were trying to pass a law here to make it illegal to receive a text if you are driving. How stupid is that. Do I have to inform the whole world I am going to Autozone to get something before I leave. It didn't pass. 

• Gtractor and superaben have said thanks