#16 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 11:59 PM

Sawdust, think should only be about 85% fluid and rest is air pressure, least on big tractor tires. Usually fill those with stem to top and when fluid reaches that stop filling. Rest is air needed to press out on tire better. I was wondering about burping part too. There are fittings to put in fluids that have a fill and then an air release valve all in one adapter.  I've never filled tires either, hate dealing with the ones with calcium in them and they rot anything metal that it touches.  Never had to drain other fluids, but have done the calcium.  Now find best to just take to tire store and let them have the mess and safer for environment that way too.  Also hate that Green slime stuff, what a sticky mess that is when changing. They now have that in tubes you can buy and just put in w/out touching the stuff. I DON"T buy them!

• Sawdust, holdenboy1960 and laurarg3 have said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 12:01 AM

A much easier and faster way is to break the bead in one area on one side only.  Use a screwdriver to hold the tire away from the rim and simply pour in the fluid. A little riser under the tire where your pouring will help get it as full as possible.  When your done remove the screw drive (or what ever you used) and a short shot of air and it's a done deal.

This of course does not work with a tube tire where the jug & hose method would.

I wanted to do it that way, but these tires were a PITA to get seated when I put them on here. They are real stiff in the side walls. Took over 20 PSI to seat them!

#18 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 12:06 AM

I've used washer fluid in tires with tubes using the gravity fed method Kenny describes . I've also done it in tires without tubes . The one thing I would add is liquid doesn't compress , so with little air space you have to be very careful not to over inflate the tires . 10 to 12 lbs. is their normal pressure and a short blast of air will get them to that pressure very quickly .

• Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 01:13 AM

I wanted to do it that way, but these tires were a PITA to get seated when I put them on here. They are real stiff in the side walls. Took over 20 PSI to seat them!

Kenny, I have had a few tires I found hard to seat and I had tubes in all of them. I think the 26x10.5-12 Titan mud monster atv tires I mounted on 12x8.5" cub cadet rims were the worst to seat. If I recall the sidewall says "7 psi max operating pressure and 20 psi max to seat" and I inflated and deflated them multiple times while bouncing them on the ground for 20 minutes each tire and it still took around 30-35 psi to finally seat those monsters on the rims, and I even sprayed the bead with window cleaner. I was definitely getting nervous as I kept ramping up the pressure lol.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, June 07, 2015 - 01:16 AM.

• KennyP, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 02:31 PM

Got tires swapped around this morning. Bubba got the filled tires and 45 lb. weights. Belle got Bubba's old tires and no weight for now.

Here's before.

2015-06-07 09.58.18.jpg

What I use for the 75 lb. weights.

2015-06-07 10.00.16.jpg

After. This puts 170 lbs per side, enough for now.

2015-06-07 09.58.34.jpg     2015-06-07 10.27.56.jpg

I double nutted the weights and will cut the excess bolt off even with that. Should keep someone catching the share end.

2015-06-07 10.28.10.jpg

Here's Belle sporting her new AG's. She seems pleased! Guess I need to buy her some makeup one of these days.

2015-06-07 11.17.28.jpg

• DH1, HowardsMF155 and Sawdust have said thanks

#21 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 02:46 PM

Looks good :thumbs:

• KennyP said thank you

#22 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,886 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 09:17 PM

I need to this to my tires.  :thumbs:

• KennyP said thank you

#23 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 09:38 PM

Sweet you need a scale ro put it on now.
  • KennyP and cadyjames41 have said thanks

#24 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 08:26 PM

If the tire has a small leak does it blow bubbles wherever you go by using WW fluid? Great for birthdays!

• KennyP said thank you

#25 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted June 11, 2015 - 09:45 PM

if I have a hard time getting a bead to seat, I wrap a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire and draw it down tight. Then air the tire. I've never had it fail to work.
  • limebuzz said thank you

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted June 12, 2015 - 03:35 AM

If the tire has a small leak does it blow bubbles wherever you go by using WW fluid? Great for birthdays!

I would think it would just squirt out.

if I have a hard time getting a bead to seat, I wrap a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire and draw it down tight. Then air the tire. I've never had it fail to work.

The main issue was getting them to 'pop' on out and seal. These tires are very stiff, will hold the tractor up with hardly any air in them. In fact, you have to use a guage to see if they are flat. :smilewink:

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#27 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted June 13, 2015 - 09:53 PM

Motivated by Kenny filling his tires ( and the need to move the 400 gallon tote withe 80 gallons of antifreeze from in front of the shop), I decided to fill the tires I have been putting off all spring. The anti freeze tested good, so I cut it 50%, making about 120 gallons. I filled the rears on the Ford 3000 with FEL, front and rear on 2 more GTs. Thought I might throw out a few pointers.

I filled mine with a $15 tractor tire/ garden hose adapter out of a bulk tank, with a "little giant" 110v pump with garden hose threads on both ends. 4' open end hose in the tank and a 6' to the tire adapter. I didnt time it but they filled pretty quick. I stopped the pump at 50 and 75% to bleed air. I marked the tank at start and stop. It helps after you fill the first tire, you get an idea when the second one will get full. 

For the guys with a 3PH, dont forget to fill the fronts, you may need it.

For the guys running rotten tires with side wall leaks... water is thicker than air and may not leak out.

Dont forget to save for 20% for air and expansion.

I gave my son a math quiz on the difference between getting a free tote with 80 gallons (+50% water, 120*9.25#) of antifreeze and buying the equivalent steel weight (at $1/#) and how long you have to work to pay off the steel weights at $8/hr. Then I threw in the  curve ball of the 25% tax rate. Comes out to about a months wages at $8/ hr and I ended up with a free tote I can sell for $80

***CR@P, I forgot the last tip***  Take a 55 gallon barrel to your local garage to get free antifreeze, just make sure to tell them you dont want oil, gas, diesel or other junk in it. They usually will get you what you need within a week or two.

Edited by tater195, June 13, 2015 - 09:59 PM.

• limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks

#28 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 10:01 PM

Bumping this thread back to the top so I can find it this week, not to mention all others preparing for plow days this spring.
  • limebuzz, KennyP and jpackard56 have said thanks

#29 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 09:40 AM

I like your redneck engineering, looks like something I'd do, and I will, thanks!

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#30 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 11:13 AM

I did what Kenny did.

Except I used an old cub cadet 1810 hood with a hole just the right size to hold the jugs of fluid.

Walmart had their winter blend of WW fluid on sale for $1.00.   I bought 18 gallons and filled the tires on my 782. 

I used a bolt on valve stem and some cheap plastic tubing.  With tax I spent about $23.   Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• SUNP0044.JPG
  • SUNP0041 (1).JPG
  • SUNP0040 (1).JPG
  • SUNP0037 (1).JPG
  • SUNP0038 (1).JPG

• ducky and KennyP have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuilled tires, ww fluid & gt tires, tire ballast