Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Kohler Myth or Fact?

kohler rebuild fact myth

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Kohler Myth or Fact (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Rebuilt Kohler is not as good as original

1. Myth (25 votes [86.21%])

Percentage of vote: 86.21%

2. Fact (4 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

How to rebuild the Kohler

1. Kohler NOS components only (14 votes [48.28%])

Percentage of vote: 48.28%

2. Compatible rebuild kit available for around $100 on auction sites (15 votes [51.72%])

Percentage of vote: 51.72%

Shop rebuilt or Home rebuilt

1. Shop (9 votes [31.03%])

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

2. Home (20 votes [68.97%])

Percentage of vote: 68.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 03:31 AM

Ok, I want to pose a question for everyone to answer. I have heard both sides of this 'argument' and have no hard evidence, just multiple sources, and limited personal experience with the following question regarding Kohler engines, specifically pertaining to the K series lineup.
Feel free to vote and comment on personal experience, I want to lay this to rest one way or the other.

Better to find another running Kohler (K series) that has never been (or need to be) rebuilt than to rebuild the Kohler. The issue being that rebuilt Kohlers (regardless of who rebuilt it or parts used) do not last as long as an unrebuilt Kohler, and can not perform to the same reliability.

Let the fence riding begin. I added two more questions to capture best practices, because I know price is usually decision to rebuilding.
  • Chopperhed and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 05:00 AM

i really can not debate this as i have not dealt with them enough , but in saying that i got 1 kohler 17.5 in JD sabre , done near 600 hrs & no spanners to it yet so to me there good 

• wvbuzzmaster and Chopperhed have said thanks

#3 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 05:06 AM

REBUILD IT CORRECTLY!!!!!! And it will last as long as you maintain it properly!!
You just can't wash parts off, change the rings and maybe the rod, and! Gaskets and think it will last??? Your dreaming, when done correctly they will usually run better and last longer, at least that has been my experience.
Yeah, it might cost more, but the end results speak volumes! And get it done by a good engine machine shop, not some fly by night hack want a be.... Sometimes you need to send it to the pros if their is no local guy to do it , but in the end , it will be your most dependable engine in your fleet.
  • Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 06:47 AM

Definitely rebuilt can be as good or better than new.  And even though I've almost always bought aftermarket kits, I also know OEM are superior.  I had an aftermarket valve fail in an engine shortly after I rebuilt it, evidently not having it's face hardened.  Home rebuilt is perfectly fine, long as you have proper tools, especially micrometers & such for measuring out of round/etc.  But there are usually no home shops that include a boring bar & crank grinder when needed.

• Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 07:02 AM

REBUILD IT CORRECTLY!!!!!! And it will last as long as you maintain it properly!!
You just can't wash parts off, change the rings and maybe the rod, and! Gaskets and think it will last??? Your dreaming, when done correctly they will usually run better and last longer, at least that has been my experience.
Yeah, it might cost more, but the end results speak volumes! And get it done by a good engine machine shop, not some fly by night hack want a be.... Sometimes you need to send it to the pros if their is no local guy to do it , but in the end , it will be your most dependable engine in your fleet.

Very well said

• wvbuzzmaster, Chopperhed and classic have said thanks

#6 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 07:18 AM

There is no way to give black and white answers to those, there are far too many variables. A poor shop rebuild is not as good as a proper home rebuild, a rebuild with high quality parts is better than new with a faulty crank or something like that. As for components, I can't speak directly to small engines, but many automotive aftermarket parts are far superior to factory parts, ie, Moog front end components are for better than almost any factory front suspension or steering part. So, with this many variables all I can say is a properly rebuilt engine with quality machine work and parts would be at least as good as new, maybe better.

• Gtractor, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 11:15 AM

I've only rebuilt a couple dozen and know my way around a K series but some things are better left for a professional.

That being said.

#1,2 Rebuilt Kohlers will last only as long as the parts that you use.If you use Cheap parts it will not last as long as OEM.

#3 Alot of things to consider having done by a Professional Such as

(A) checking the crank for bends,cracks,and journal being out of round or worn.

(B) Block cylinder bore,If it has "ANY" wear send it in and have it Professionally Rebored.

© Remove balance gears or Replace Bearings and Shafts.(Can be done at home)

(D) If the engine has Alot of hours or had overheated or Blown a rod Check or Replace both Crank bearings.(This is Always overlooked)They do develop flat spots and do Wear out.

(E) Have the cylinder Head trued up (this can be done at home depending on how Warped it is)

(F) Check the Camshaft for excessive wear on the Lobes AND check the Camshaft Pin for any signs of scoring or wear.(Worn or scored Cam Pin are signs of a Bent or cracked CamShaft)

(G) Have new hardened Valve seats and bronze valve guides installed and regrind the valves.Also install Valve rotators.

It's a bit of work and a good bit of money to Properly rebuild a Kohler but in the long run it is cheaper and they will outlast ANY newer engine currently available in todays market.If done correctly a Rebuilt Kohler will Outlast an OEM Kohler. 

• wvbuzzmaster, superaben and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 12:33 PM

My small experience;   Why  wouldn't NEW be better than old? Of course it is!  I have built at home,  course, you need shop for bores or crank turning and such. Never have done much to valves then turn and lap, or again the shop can do. I have used kits from epay and YES, the pistons/rods might be diff than orig, but did fit and work fine, gaskets are all good. Most items on these engines show little wear cept the bore and rod big end. Have put a few together with just rings and new rod.  I've never kept anything long enough to wear it out, so can't tell on longevity really!  NOW, starting to work on old Cast Briggs. Think will be same ideals, but don't really know yet.

• wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks