• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 132 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 11:49 PM

127 cub. Engine seems to be getting noisier.almost seems worst at idle or half throttle with no load.Definitely worse when engine is warm.One of those cases where I'm not sure if I should keep running it or shut it down and rebuild the engine BEFORE it grenades. This is my main mowing tractor. Its not that noisy but I'm concerned it might not make the season and I don't wanna do extra damage by letting it fly apart.Not even sure if I have a question here,maybe I'm just ranting a little.

#2 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 12:08 AM

First thing you should do if you haven't already is check everything over thoroughly and make sure it's a rod knock and not something else like a loose flywheel or something worn out in the driveline or anything.

If it is a rod knock, well you can pay a little now or a lot later. If you pull it apart now you might not even need to bore it or turn the crank. Just slap a new rod and a set of rings in and go. But if you keep running it and the rod lets go it could wipe out everything. Smash the block, cam, and crank. Not pretty.

If I were you I'd bite the bullet and tear it down. Shouldn't take more than a day to get it out and apart and the good news is when you're all done you'll have an engine you know you can depend on.

• boyscout862, HANKG and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 132 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 05:03 PM

I hear ya. It will just be hard to find the time now in summer. With ordering parts etc, pretty sure the tractor would be out of commission for at least several weeks.(I normally order that kind of parts from eBay way down south from where I am]