• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • Member No: 65961
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 11:18 PM

OK, I know that most of the rigs here on the forum are GT, not LT and they are mostly older rebuilds. However, I could use some help with my anytime use 2007 JD X320. It has a 48" mower deck and that is where my problem is occurring. I had an idler pulley lock up and it smoked the belt. Got a new pulley and a new belt and it keeps jumping track. Pulled the whole deck off and checked all of the blade hubs and idlers with the belt off and they feel good. When the PTO switch is turned on, it instantly jumps an idler pulley. The belt is a brand new Gates and feels plenty tight when pulling on the tension idler when installing. Could the PTO cause some type of jump or slippage to make it jump track? The pulley that it keeps jumping track on, I even moved the belt guide in as close as I could and it still managed to squeeze through it. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Barry

Edited by txdieseldog, June 05, 2015 - 11:20 PM.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 01:33 AM

Are all of your deck pulleys aligned with each other?
  • tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 05:17 AM

Might also want to double check the belt routing . I ran into this on my son,s tractors drive belt , seemed right ,pretty tight but was slipping ,got a pic of what it should be and put it on correctly that did it
  • MH81 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 05:26 AM

Do you have the JD part # for the belt? JD uses belts and pulleys with a custom angle to them, which is why off the shelf belts usually do not work well or last very long.

• MH81, Alc, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#5 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 07:08 AM

Have one that did the same thing. Finally carried it to the dealership after 2 belts and they put a new belt on and leveled the deck to J.D. specs and it has never did it again. The deck has to be leveled to their specs with a gauge. The gauge is available for purchase.

#6 txdieseldog OFFLINE  

txdieseldog
  • Member No: 65961
  • 56 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 08:06 AM

Are all of your deck pulleys aligned with each other?

I can answer some of these but not all. The pulleys should be lined up. The one is brand new and all of the others felt good in the mounting realm. no jiggle in the bearings with smooth rotation.

Have one that did the same thing. Finally carried it to the dealership after 2 belts and they put a new belt on and leveled the deck to J.D. specs and it has never did it again. The deck has to be leveled to their specs with a gauge. The gauge is available for purchase.

I'm afraid cootertom that this will be the case. The Gates belt really..............fits the grooves tight and snug and as I type here, the action it is displaying is similar to the belt getting stuck and then popping and it is jolting to the point of jumping pulleys. I'm afraid as well that the lesser expensive Gates belt was a poor investment.

#7 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 08:32 AM

Do you have the JD part # for the belt? JD uses belts and pulleys with a custom angle to them, which is why off the shelf belts usually do not work well or last very long.

^^ exactly what he said^^   I learned this lesson the hard way,Deere likes to spec their own belts and can cause some headaches if you don't use them. On a good note for they aren't that much more expensive and they do hold up quite well.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 08:50 AM

Always use an OEM spec belt on these, JD has special material and angles like most mentioned , there are aftermarket companies that replicate the exact JD belt but you need your JD part number to cross it with.

Gates belts are just standard size and are a crap shoot and not worth the hassle. The only time I recommend gates these days is for fan belts /light duty farm equipment and automotive applications, never Lawn mower equipment.

• tinbender7 and Cat385B have said thanks

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 12:39 PM

Lots of those little rod/wire belt keepers on my JD and you need them to keep belt on when not being used. They are PIA tho, need to come off when changing the belt. You keep those on yours?  BUT, that should only be for non-running belt I guess, not a powered one, so may not apply?

#10 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 06:31 PM

I can answer some of these but not all. The pulleys should be lined up. The one is brand new and all of the others felt good in the mounting realm. no jiggle in the bearings with smooth rotation.

I'm afraid cootertom that this will be the case. The Gates belt really..............fits the grooves tight and snug and as I type here, the action it is displaying is similar to the belt getting stuck and then popping and it is jolting to the point of jumping pulleys. I'm afraid as well that the lesser expensive Gates belt was a poor investment.

I tried one aftermarket belt and it ran for about 15 minutes before it destroyed itself. The Deere belt cost about $45.