Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone know where to get a Ford 75 blade spindle?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Fox OFFLINE  

Blue Fox
  • Member No: 71570
  • 6 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 06:30 PM

I acquired my late father's Ford LT75 garden tractor and mower.  The tractor is in great shape, I fixed a gas tank pinhole, replaced the brake pads with a work-around from a Honda CX500 motorcycle, and restored the charging system.  Where I am foundering is that one of the blade spindles has gone to heaven, (perhaps a bit lower), and I have exhausted the internet, 4 Ford dealers, 12 lawn mower shops, 2 bone yards, many bearing shops, e-bay, and have not found a replacement.

It is a one piece (water pump style), 4-1/2 shaft length, 2" barrell length, and threads for pulley mounting.  There seems to be nothing out there.  I am considering mounting a replacement spindle under a wood spacer disc on the lower part of the deck and rigging the pulley to line up.  If anyone has one of these decks, or spindles laying around, or have jerry rigged a replacement, I would be most appreciative.  The grass is growing more every day!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00026.JPG
  • DSC00029.JPG
  • DSC00036.JPG
  • DSC00037.JPG
  • DSC00043.JPG

• boyscout862, propane1 and laurarg3 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check with our sponsors(on the Forums Page). Several have tractor junk yards with useable parts. I just got some from Joes. Sometimes you can disassemble the old one and replace the bearings to get it working. I've got two similar tractors that are out in the woods. One may have a deck under it. I just don't remember. Check our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

You can have both of these for $50

SD530843.JPG SD530844.JPG SD530845.JPG SD530846.JPG SD530847.JPG SD530848.JPG SD530849.JPG

Edited by boyscout862, June 05, 2015 - 08:10 PM.

• Blue Fox said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Nice looking tractor, other than the John deere seat. Just joking. The deck looks almost the same as the deck on my LT81 Ford tractor. My tractor was made in 1982/83. I have no idea if they would be the same. I have never had a tractor like yours. But it might be something to look into. Sounds like you have tryed a lot of places. Hope something turns up for you. Noel

#4 Blue Fox OFFLINE  

Blue Fox
  • 6 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 09:44 AM

Thanks, Boyscoudt.  I have been a Scout leader for the past 18 or so years, with both of my sons attaining the Eagle rank.  I'll try some of the sponsors and see what I can come up with. 

The old bearing cannot be refurbished, and I can't even buy bearings to fit the existing shaft (.728")and then also fit into a 1-1/2" OD sleeve to mount between the deck and stump jumper.  From what I can determine, the tractor is a 1970 model, made by Jacobson, and the Jacobson manual for the GT750 seems to desccribe my mower. 

If you happen into your woods (and we have a major bone yard also in our woods at our farm), and see that one of the tractors have a deck, if you can wiggle the spindle, I might be interested in acquiring it.  Not the whole deck, but just the spindles and associated parts.  I know how rusty these become outside, so there may be no way to resurect one.  Don't go to a bunch of trouble.

Thanks guys for the input, I'll not give up on this quite yet.  If I exhaust all other possibabilities, I'm going to cut a 9" spacer disc about 7/8" thick out of Osage Orange, and rout it out to set flat under the bottom of the deck.  Then cut 2-1/4 holes thru the deck and spacer to allow a standard spindle to go thru.  I'll have to access (or make) different blades and pulleys to make everything align, but I think it is doable.  We shall see!

• KennyP said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 11:12 AM

Scouting teaches boys to be men that can stand on their hind legs not like the normal sheep of our society. My father made Eagle in 1931. I made Eagle in 1969. My son made Eagle in 2011. Dad made CPO in 30 months in the USCG. I made SSG in 15 months in the big green machine. It helped my son get a college scholarship. As scouts we got lots of help from adults and now we help the kids. I'll let you know about the deck. Good Luck, Rick

#6 Blue Fox OFFLINE  

Blue Fox
  • 6 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 11:56 AM

I agree about the Scouting program.  I was raised on a farm, and there wasn't a Scout troop within 40 miles.  But my sons, now 30 & 27, have often remarked that they use everyday, the things Scouting taught them.  I too received E-5 rank in Nam in about 15 months, in 1970.  The military was a great experience for me, but many were not so lucky.  And today is D-Day too. 

Edited by Blue Fox, June 06, 2015 - 11:58 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 01:28 PM

My father was there. We went to a D Day memorial shoot this morning. Good Luck, Rick

#8 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 355 Thanks
  • 257 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 08:53 AM

By any chance would this spindle work.

Mower.jpg

It is from the 42 inch mower deck that are used on the Ford LGT from 1972 to last LGT that Jacobson made. The reason I am asking is that the picture of the mower deck you have the mounting look very similar. The mower deck that this spindle came from the body was very badly rusted & since I have a good mower deck of the same type I decided to save all of the good parts for future use in case I need parts for the other deck. 

Mower 1.jpg

Mower 2.jpg

If you think this might work for your mower deck let me know.

Charlie

#9 Blue Fox OFFLINE  

Blue Fox
  • 6 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 11:07 AM

Thanks, Charlie.  Mine is completely different.  My spindle is clamped between two flanges, one on the top of the mower deck, and one moulded into the stump jumper cone.  The shaft and bearing are one piece and they cannot be taken apart.  A bad design, maybe that is why I am having such a hard time locating a good one.  One of the pictures show the shaft and what is left of the outer race, I split a complete section out trying to remove the bearings before I figured out their system. DSC00003.JPG DSC00006.JPG DSC00009.JPG DSC00045.JPG

#10 Blue Fox OFFLINE  

Blue Fox
  • 6 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 07:32 PM

OK, guys, I have officially given up on trying to find the OEM part.  I visited a neighboring town this morning and talked to an old timer who reconized the orginal part.  He found a old Jacobson book and located the bearing number.  If anyone needs it, it is:  JAC351204.  The part showed up on New Holland's computer system and indicated that there were two in stock in River Valley New Holland in New York.  These were the only two showing available in the U.S.

When I got back home, I called River Valley and after a bit of confincing that this was indeed a good part number, the guy went into the back and came back to the phone saying, "I found the bin, but it was empty."  Bummer!  I thanked him and put the model number of the deck (09JC9528) in Messick's part finche, and got a hit also.  The price shown for a bearing was $85.00 plus shipping.  And it was no longer available.

Now is time to do a little farm engineering and see what I can do with a couple of existing spindles I dug out of our tractor bone yard.  I may post some pictures of the process, if it goes as expected.  If it doesn't, I'll just rethink and try another idea.

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 06:09 AM

If you can get some dimensions of the existing spindle, maybe we could cross it to a newer one that might work.

#12 Blue Fox OFFLINE  

Blue Fox
  • 6 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 09, 2015 - 05:14 PM

I have probably spent 25-30 hours on the internet sites.  Bearing, lawnmower, Ford, New Holland, E-bay, Craigslist, and many related sites.  And at least that much time at local mower, parts, bearing, and machine shops.  These do not exist in the real world.  The original spindle/bearing was a 4-1/2" x .728" shaft that protruded out of a 1-1/2" dia by 2-1.8" long outer bearing race.  The shaft stuck out 1/2" on the blade end, and 11-7/8" on the pulley end, which had a Woodruff key and was threaded for a nut.  Original Federal number was pf 6044. 

But I am wiithin hours of chawing a 2-1/4" hole in the deck to allow a conventional spindle to be inserted.  I am just needing a 4" x 12 pt hex pulley, and the nerve to make the hole.  Can't go back from there, so I want to be sure I have all the calculations in order.

Thanks everyone for their help, If this works, I'll share the details.

Edited by Blue Fox, June 09, 2015 - 05:15 PM.

• KennyP said thank you