• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:10 PM

A few years ago my Dad had replaced the 8 hp Briggs on my Panzer with another that was on a Kemp Chipper because it had low hours,,,now i always remembered that had a set throttle when it was on the chipper,,, I have never been able to get thiis to run right,,, the carb is new last year and clean, he used all the carb linkage and what not off the the original engine,,, my questioin is did the engine with set throotle have a different governor? Or did he use the wrong rod from the carb to the governor ?

• classic said thank you

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:19 PM

Was the governor lever with the numbered holes removed from the governor shaft? If you haven't adjusted the governor lever after installing another carb, that might be your problem. Whenever anything is removed or replaced from the engine that affects the governor linkage, the governor lever should be reset after assembly.
  • Lmiller3358 said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:35 PM

Is the engine from the Kemp chipper a Briggs model 190402?

#4 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 06:54 PM

I'll have to double check the model # Classic,,,I'll see if i can get pic of the governor area tomorrow also

• classic said thank you

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 07:06 PM

Sounds good. You should be able to find a diagram of the engine to make sure the governor is set up correctly. I have some Briggs books that may show the set up and how to adjust it, depending on what model number your engine is.

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,718 Thanks
  • 4,276 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 07:36 PM

This is one of my "rules of thumb" on setting a governor. It will apply to about anything you work on and at least get you in the ball park. With the engine not running and the gov rod removed, move both the throttle and gov rod to its WOT stop. That's the distance you need between the two. I would make the rod fit beween the two at that setting. If the arm is adjustable on the shaft, you need to mak sure the shaft is abe to bottom to the gov. I check this measurement against the one at closed throttle for the gov and carb. sometimes its a crap shoot whether you move the arm on the shaft or change the rod. Whatever you do, you want to make sure that the gov lever is bottomed against the  gov when the throttle plate hits WOT. If you are moving the arm on the shaft, make sure you have a hold of the shaft and make sure its turned all the way against the gove before you tighten the arm to it.The rest will be working with the external spring tension to fine tune it to do what you want.

• Lmiller3358 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 02:35 PM

20150606_144407.jpeg Ok, unable to find the model number right now, but I took a pic of where the governor is when at idle 

#8 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 03:49 PM

These are from a 194000 series,same part throttle cable is run from other side.noticed the same bracket but option to hook cable from either side.If you need me to take pictures of the backside i can do that

001.JPG 003 - Copy.JPG 004 - Copy.JPG  

• classic said thank you

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,718 Thanks
  • 4,276 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 06:14 PM

attachicon.gif20150606_144407.jpegOk, unable to find the model number right now, but I took a pic of where the governor is when at idle 

If you pull the arm down you go to wide open throttle? Unhook the spring between the cable bracket and the arm. Loosen the arm from the shaft and pull the arm down and make sure you can get all the way open at the throttle. Then use a screwdriver in the shaft and turn it all the way clockwise until it bottoms. hold it all in position and tighten the arm to the shaft. That should be the first step to setting the governor.

• Lmiller3358 and classic have said thanks

#10 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 07:07 AM

Here are some pictures with the control bracket and carb unhooked

IMG_0626.JPG IMG_0627.JPG

this picture is where your model number should be stamped in just below the decal

IMG_0628.JPG

• Lmiller3358 said thank you

#11 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 07:16 AM

If you pull the arm down you go to wide open throttle? Unhook the spring between the cable bracket and the arm. Loosen the arm from the shaft and pull the arm down and make sure you can get all the way open at the throttle. Then use a screwdriver in the shaft and turn it all the way clockwise until it bottoms. hold it all in position and tighten the arm to the shaft. That should be the first step to setting the governor.

Thanks, I'll try that today Doug