#121 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 11:31 AM

Seems funny to me that a few guys think nothings rare if they made more than a handfull,yet there the ones trying to find the stuff,if it's not rare then there should not be any issue in finding it and owning it,IMO

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, April 17, 2016 - 06:40 PM.

• OldBuzzard, LPBolens, Chubien and 3 others have said thanks

#122 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 01:06 PM

I stopped using the word rare, problem solved. Sometimes I dare to say "not so common" and hope for the best.
  • 1967bolens collector, blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev and 2 others have said thanks

#123 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 01:41 PM

Not so common works. For me, so does rare. Both might end up meaning that although there were some when they were first made, few survived for us to collect now, I think the Bulldog trencher specifically made for the Large Frames fits into that category. Most of the few sold new have probably been worn out and sent to scrap. I personally know of only three. As for the Danuser CD1 post hole digger? Glenn Danuser, grandson of the founder and the current CEO of Danuser, seemed to think that there are only a few around. He was certainly excited to hear about the one I have for a Large Frame.

• blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#124 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 02:22 PM

Seems funny to me that a few guys think nothing rare if they made more than a handful,yet there the ones trying to find the stuff,if it's not rare than should not be any issue in finding it and owning it,IMO

Yea because people like me pay up for things an others get mad thinking that it inflates the price of this stuff. If u want something bad enough then u have to pay up or someone else will
  • LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, Chubien and 1 other said thanks

#125 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,194 Thanks
  • 5,214 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 02:36 PM

Well Tube frame are not rare.     In the last 5 years I have ruled out tons of bolens things that people think are rare.

1050 192-02 around 17,000+ made
1050 192-01 around 8,000+ made
G10 around 7,300+ made
1254 around 7,200+ made
H16 around 6,800+ made
1256 around 6,600+ made
G14 around 6,600+ made
H14 around 4,900+ made
1000 around 4000+ made
G9 around 1,400+ made
G12 around 1,000+ made
G11 764+ made

Edited by wilberj, April 17, 2016 - 02:38 PM.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#126 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 03:54 PM

Well Tube frame are not rare. In the last 5 years I have ruled out tons of bolens things that people think are rare.

1050 192-02 around 17,000+ made
1050 192-01 around 8,000+ made
G10 around 7,300+ made
1254 around 7,200+ made
H16 around 6,800+ made
1256 around 6,600+ made
G14 around 6,600+ made
H14 around 4,900+ made
1000 around 4000+ made
G9 around 1,400+ made
G12 around 1,000+ made
G11 764+ made

I agree with some of this but I haven't seen a lot of g11's probably because there was no point in makein models 1hp apart. That's the only TF u don't see a lot of

#127 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 03:59 PM

To me the word "Rare" has been beat to death and has no meaning anymore, this is not just Bolens this goes for all brands heck how many "Rare" 1050's have we seen listed and how many 'Rare' Round fender 'JD's we have seen listed.

Its a shame as the stuff that actually is Rare really doesn't have the meaning it used to.

• wilberj and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#128 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,194 Thanks
  • 5,214 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 04:13 PM

I agree with some of this but I haven't seen a lot of g11's probably because there was no point in makein models 1hp apart. That's the only TF u don't see a lot of

Agree with it or not these numbers are from me collecting serial numbers for the last 5 years.  More G11 pop out of the wood work every day.  

Edited by wilberj, April 18, 2016 - 05:37 AM.

#129 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 04:22 PM

Agree with it out not these numbers are from me collecting serial numbers for the last 5 years. More G11 pop out of the wood work every day.

Maybe so I don't look for them. I just go by how many I seen on forums an what pops up on eBay an Craigslist. One TF attachment I have never seen is a trencher
  • LPBolens said thank you

#130 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 04:41 PM

Usually when someone claims that something like a 1050 is rare, it's someone that really doesn't have a clue about either garden tractors or Bolens.

For me, rare is this definition from FreeDictionary.com:

rare    (râr)

adj. rar·er, rar·est

1.  Infrequently occurring; uncommon: a rare event; a plant that is rare in this region.

2.  Excellent; extraordinary: a rare sense of honor.

3.  Thin in density; rarefied: rare air.

The part I bolded is the key.

If something is hard to find, and/or is seldom seen, it's rare, no matter how many may or may not have been manufactured.

I've seen it claimed that no tube frame tractor or attachment is rare.  Really?

Take the 1257 tractor, how often to do see one? Or the G11? By the definition above , they ARE rare, whether you choose to believe it or not.

As for attachments, there are a number of those as well. Any of the front mounted generators, the RoWay 540 RPM front mounted PTO, The Danhouser posthole digger, and Haban Flail-Mo are just a few that come to mind.

The same thing goes for the Large Frames.

The HT20D, HT22 and HDT1000 are all hard to find. By the definition above they ARE rare.

For attachments, there are a lot of rare ones there as well.  ANY of the rear mounted PTO units, the Haban and Mott flail mowers, the Bulldog trencher, the rear mounted post hole diggers, the Johnson Forklift, and a number of others.

To say that NOTHING in the Bolens world is rare is just not true.

I think that some of the "it's not rare" talk is sour grapes from some that don't have some of the rare goodies, and just want to make themselves feel better by claiming that they aren't rare.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#131 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 04:43 PM

Yea because people like me pay up for things an others get mad thinking that it inflates the price of this stuff. If u want something bad enough then u have to pay up or someone else will

I agree with that, I have paid above value for some of the stuff I have AND driven crazy distances to get it.
  • LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#132 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,194 Thanks
  • 5,214 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 05:33 PM

Why does this always have to be a debate?  This guy said they are this guy said there not.   Who care whats rare and whats not just be happy there stuff to collect.   I never had to ask whats rare, whats hard to find, I don't have to because I can find out for my self I have done this on my own and determined value on my own.  I feel like I have to hold some ones hand all the time when they can take there own time and do the research on there own just like I have.   Now don't get me wrong I like helping people I do it every day.  Ever day I get home from work there always a email in my inbox of some one looking for help or looking get rid of something.   

I own over 85 bolens tractors that range from the late 40s to the 80s stuff some people will never find any were else I have a small idea what is out there and what is not.   I don't run around telling people whats things worth and what hard to find because I dont need to. I know what it takes and some are just not willing to take the time I have to find what I have.  

I am collector! Not a parter, Not a seller, Not a dealer, and I am not looking to get rich off something I know I cant.  I do buy and sell a little to pay for stuff I will keep but I don't live off it.  I work a steady job of 40+ hours a week but I still have bills to pay everyday like anyone else. I spend wisely and I can wait for another to turn up if I had to, because I know there more then one out there for 99% of this stuff. 

#133 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Interesting post, I guess it's each to their own. I'll pay whatever I want for a piece that I want rare or not. I wish I had more of the old hard bound service manuals and catalogs. They are so interesting reading and full of good information. 

• blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#134 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted April 17, 2016 - 07:13 PM

Usually when someone claims that something like a 1050 is rare, it's someone that really doesn't have a clue about either garden tractors or Bolens.

For me, rare is this definition from FreeDictionary.com:

The part I bolded is the key.

If something is hard to find, and/or is seldom seen, it's rare, no matter how many may or may not have been manufactured.

I've seen it claimed that no tube frame tractor or attachment is rare. Really?

Take the 1257 tractor, how often to do see one? Or the G11? By the definition above , they ARE rare, whether you choose to believe it or not.

As for attachments, there are a number of those as well. Any of the front mounted generators, the RoWay 540 RPM front mounted PTO, The Danhouser posthole digger, and Haban Flail-Mo are just a few that come to mind.

The same thing goes for the Large Frames.

The HT20D, HT22 and HDT1000 are all hard to find. By the definition above they ARE rare.

For attachments, there are a lot of rare ones there as well. ANY of the rear mounted PTO units, the Haban and Mott flail mowers, the Bulldog trencher, the rear mounted post hole diggers, the Johnson Forklift, and a number of others.

To say that NOTHING in the Bolens world is rare is just not true.

I think that some of the "it's not rare" talk is sour grapes from some that don't have some of the rare goodies, and just want to make themselves feel better by claiming that they aren't rare.

I didn't mean it literally Dave. It was sarcasm. just said that because there's people that don't seem to think there is anything that's hard to get.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#135 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted April 18, 2016 - 12:25 PM

I have janitorial duties this week in this forum, which includes mopping floors. So if this pissing contest continues, I'm just going to nuke the whole damn thread.

More pictures, less opinions; if you could please.
  • shorty, TomLGT195 and AA Hayes have said thanks