• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#1 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • Member No: 68112
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 04:57 PM

As I spend so much time out of everyday looking at Bolens tractors and implements I may as well know what is hardest to find. Who knows maybe I have seen what you are looking for in my neck of the woods. I would like to make a list of things that are hard to come by and perhaps a list of things other people are looking for. I want to make a spreadsheet of these items as a reference to look at while I am on the hunt, I spend hours everyday on the hunt. Also if you are looking for anything just send me a picture and the part name or whatever and I will put you next to the item and will let you know if I come across it. Key words would be nice as well.
  • WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862, MailmAn and 4 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:09 PM

Any Bolens Diesel is going to be desireable. What I need most is time to play with them. Good Luck, Rick

• Delmar, WrenchinOnIt, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#3 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Any Bolens Diesel is going to be desireable. What I need most is time to play with them. Good Luck, Rick

hd20d?
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:27 PM

HT22 - Export version of the HT20D.  I don't know of anyone that has actually even seen one.

HDT1000 - Export only.  Basically an HT23 with a Mitsubishi 3-cyl diesel.  I know of 4 here in the states, and 1 in Canada.  Even overseas they aren't very common.

G11 - Last of the 'new' tube frames models.  Only made in 1978.  I've never seen one with a 4 digit Serial Number.

HT20D - Basically an HT23 with the Wisconsin/Ducati 2-cyl diesel engine.

1257 - Basically a 1256 with a Tecumseh engine.  Only made one year. Another one you don't see too often.

Now, there will be some that say "It isn't rare if they made hundreds/thousands of them".  I say balderdash.  It doesn't matter how many were made, it matters on how many still exist.

You may not be old enough to remember them, but Log Cabin syrup used to come in a metal container that looked like a log cabin.  Lord only knows how many of them that were made, but now they are rare as they were so common in their day that most were just thrown away.

Edited by OldBuzzard, June 05, 2015 - 05:32 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 11 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:36 PM

You may not be old enough to remember them, but Log Cabin syrup used to come in a metal container that looked like a log cabin.  Lord only knows how many of them that were made, but now they are rare as they were so common in their day that most were just thrown away.

I remember the original cans and I remember the "limited edition" cans in the 80s or 90s or was it the 70s. The old stuff seems to blend together now. Why are the older memories clearer than the newer? Good Luck, Rick

• Delmar, WrenchinOnIt, superaben and 3 others have said thanks

#6 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,205 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:45 PM

HT22.....

http://gardentractor...-2288/?hl= ht22

All bolens are rare look at craigslist lol.  

Find me a 35AC01 Ridemaster thats a rare bird only 4 were made none known of.  

Last thing I say are any tube frames are rare some of the attachments yes but none of the tractors.  Large frames are the same maybe two of the 3 diesels are rare but the 3td modal is hard to come by. I know rare I have rare in the barn out back like 1 of 3  or  # 29 of 199.   

Lets talk test tractors/prototypes if you like to talk the word Rare.   

• Bolens 1000, Delmar, WrenchinOnIt and 5 others have said thanks

#7 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:47 PM

Good question RICK 40 YEARS AGO NO PROBLEM 5 MIN AGO UH
  • Delmar, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 06:37 PM

Here is an ht23 in flagstaff.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00G0G_kTrqoVPqqes_600x450 (1).jpg

Edited by accidentalchild, June 05, 2015 - 06:38 PM.

• WrenchinOnIt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 07:01 PM

I remember the original cans and I remember the "limited edition" cans in the 80s or 90s or was it the 70s. The old stuff seems to blend together now. Why are the older memories clearer than the newer? Good Luck, Rick

I had one of those that was full and sealed. About a year ago it started leaking the syrup out of the bottom. Hated that happened.

• WrenchinOnIt and accidentalchild have said thanks

#10 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 07:40 PM

As I spend so much time out of everyday looking at Bolens tractors and implements I may as well know what is hardest to find. Who knows maybe I have seen what you are looking for in my neck of the woods. I would like to make a list of things that are hard to come by and perhaps a list of things other people are looking for. I want to make a spreadsheet of these items as a reference to look at while I am on the hunt, I spend hours everyday on the hunt. Also if you are looking for anything just send me a picture and the part name or whatever and I will put you next to the item and will let you know if I come across it. Key words would be nice as well.

Well, opinions, religious denomination, politics and so on ,I guess fit the definition of rare in there somewhere and expect similar results in the debates that ensue. One man's trash..... I say this , it's good of you to offer your findings or willingness to 'be on the lookout' for others wants. A far as a list some things are unobtainable, some hard to find and ,some misrepresented by uninformed owners or individuals looking to flip 'barn finds or 'estate sale gems' etc . You see something you find interesting post a pic, if it's for sale post it under the appropriate heading. Give a heads up if it's a Bolens or fits one . I'm pleased to acquire one owner original machines , unmolested, original paperwork, sales slip etc. Your 76 whether or not it was a one owner machine it is clean and by its appearance was well taken care of.To me that is getting 'rare' . So keep posting, keep asking , and many thanks for your volunteerism ! Now get out there and find me a nice Bulldog Trencher for a Large Frame.( There will be a finders fee in it )

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, June 05, 2015 - 08:16 PM.

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, LPBolens and 6 others have said thanks

#11 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 08:59 PM

OB,well stated,IMO
  • accidentalchild said thank you

#12 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 09:19 PM

Well, opinions, religious denomination, politics and so on ,I guess fit the definition of rare in there somewhere and expect similar results in the debates that ensue. One man's trash..... I say this , it's good of you to offer your findings or willingness to 'be on the lookout' for others wants. A far as a list some things are unobtainable, some hard to find and ,some misrepresented by uninformed owners or individuals looking to flip 'barn finds or 'estate sale gems' etc . You see something you find interesting post a pic, if it's for sale post it under the appropriate heading. Give a heads up if it's a Bolens or fits one . I'm pleased to acquire one owner original machines , unmolested, original paperwork, sales slip etc. Your 76 whether or not it was a one owner machine it is clean and by its appearance was well taken care of.To me that is getting 'rare' . So keep posting, keep asking , and many thanks for your volunteerism ! Now get out there and find me a nice Bulldog Trencher for a Large Frame.( There will be a finders fee in it )

and you see there, I will remember the bull dog trencher.

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 09:26 PM

According to many folks on Craigslist they are all rare! LOL

Many of the Bolens tractors were mass produced and still kicking around today , just because there are none in your particular area does not make a machine rare in my books if they are plastered all over the other side of the country. For me personally any proto type tractor or many of the older "One hit wonders" Bolens did such as their Convertibles , trim master , Till master ect. would be considered as rare to me.

I wouldn't consider any tube frame rare , but a few attachments , Largeframes have a few models and a few attachments. Most of the stuff that people look for is the 20's to 50's where most didn't survive the war scrap drives or were only manufactured a year or two before they disappeared from production.

I know when alot of guys start out in this hobby not knowing much about these machines they often think of stuff as rare (Myself included) Once you been around them long enough to see the market you realize what you thought was "Rare" is very common.

Wrechingonit brings up a great point that is truly rare these days to find an original non molested machine , finding the original sales receipt is also something thats hard to find when buying one these days.

• wilberj, Delmar, MailmAn and 3 others have said thanks

#14 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 11:57 PM

According to many folks on Craigslist they are all rare! LOL

Many of the Bolens tractors were mass produced and still kicking around today , just because there are none in your particular area does not make a machine rare in my books if they are plastered all over the other side of the country. For me personally any proto type tractor or many of the older "One hit wonders" Bolens did such as their Convertibles , trim master , Till master ect. would be considered as rare to me.

I wouldn't consider any tube frame rare , but a few attachments , Largeframes have a few models and a few attachments. Most of the stuff that people look for is the 20's to 50's where most didn't survive the war scrap drives or were only manufactured a year or two before they disappeared from production.

I know when alot of guys start out in this hobby not knowing much about these machines they often think of stuff as rare (Myself included) Once you been around them long enough to see the market you realize what you thought was "Rare" is very common.

Wrechingonit brings up a great point that is truly rare these days to find an original non molested machine , finding the original sales receipt is also something thats hard to find when buying one these days.

maybe I should have used a more delicate combination like sought after or important to someone. I have seen recently a two wheel Bolens tractor with implements. I didn't know that they made any of those.

Edited by accidentalchild, June 06, 2015 - 01:19 AM.

#15 accidentalchild OFFLINE  

accidentalchild
  • 365 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 01:27 AM

I wonder how much Bolens stuff has hit the scrap yard out here as there are way fewer people that collect them here. Predominantly I have looked only at large frame stuff. I do see mostly tube frames out this way.
  • Bolens800uk said thank you