• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• Member No: 4033
  • 30 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 03:18 PM

Been kinda on the look out for awhile for some info on the LGT18H Ford. I have had one for several years but rarely see anything written about them or pictures of them. It seems to be a fairly capable tractor. Mine has the 42" deck which is too small for it but other than that it seems to do well pushing snow or tilling. I would like to find out if there are any others around with one of those. Always up to exchange ideas or maybe parts if you have something.

Just throwing a query out to see if this model has any other followers.

Stay safe out there.

• tinbender7 and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 31,403 Thanks
  • 41,589 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 04:42 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! We have a few YT owners here, but the list is growing. I try to keep manuals for these rascals, but hard to find them. Post some pics if you would. Pic help can be found in the link in my signature.

• blacktruck, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• 30 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 10:09 PM

I'll have to work on that. Not sure yet how to post pics but I haven't looked much yet. Amazingly, like most people, we all carry camera/phones all the time but I just don't seen to get it out when I'm at home working on my stuff. I've had Ford tractors for many years. I guess I would have to admit a weakness for them it seems. I'm looking forward to finding out more and maybe even seeing a few others on here..

Thanks for the reply..

• Alc said thank you

#4 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,479 Thanks
  • 2,521 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 12:54 AM

Hello and welcome to GTtalk, blacktruck!  Glad u found this site.  Great bunch of folks here! 

I owned a LGT18H a couple of years ago, and now I own its cousin, a LawnBoy GT18H.  Mine has a 48 inch deck on it.  Great tractor, lots of power in that 18hp kohler magnum.  There is some information about them in the manuals section here and online. 

007.jpg

Edited by Delmar, June 06, 2015 - 12:59 AM.

• blacktruck said thank you

#5 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• 30 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 05:43 AM

Hello and welcome to GTtalk, blacktruck!  Glad u found this site.  Great bunch of folks here! 

I owned a LGT18H a couple of years ago, and now I own its cousin, a LawnBoy GT18H.  Mine has a 48 inch deck on it.  Great tractor, lots of power in that 18hp kohler magnum.  There is some information about them in the manuals section here and online. 

attachicon.gif007.jpg

I did know that many of the garden tractors that were sold by Ford was made by Jacobsen but did not know that Lawn-Boy ever sold garden tractors. Interesting. I would agree completely with what you said about them. Piques my curiosity about them even more. I had/have a number of the old Fords in the 14-16 range but this is the only 18HP model.  I appreciate the responses. Great to see a place where I can share some info on the GTs I have had over the years. Not to get off topic here but the GT seems to be an overworked and underappreciated piece of equipment around many homes. Not sure why but I do enjoy using mine when I can.

• Delmar said thank you

#6 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,673 Thanks
  • 3,306 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 06:00 AM

If you are using your Gilson built tractor hard ,like ground engaging, (tilling 0r bottom plowing) look at your frame in front of the rear wheels (upper front transmission mounting points both sides) for cracking . This was a weak spot for them (and the Jacobsens as well) with hydro transmissions.

Those were nice looking tractors !! And a very capable machine!

• blacktruck and Delmar have said thanks

#7 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• 30 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 03:21 PM

Curiouser and curiouser....

Am I to understand that Gilson made my LGT18H tractor? Recently bought a green tractor but didn't get rid of any of the Fords. I did use the 18H hard for a number of years. I'll have to check the frame when it's in the shop next. Does anyone have a recommendation on a source for parts for the blue tractors? I am truly amazed at the number of people selling every conceivable part for a JD.

Thanks guys.

#8 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,912 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 04:11 PM

Yes, the LGT-18 was made by Gilson. There are also green Lawn-Boy versions out there as Lawn-Boy owned Gilson at the time... before they were in turn bought by Toro. I almost bought the LB version a few years back.

#9 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• 30 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 06:27 AM

Yes, the LGT-18 was made by Gilson. There are also green Lawn-Boy versions out there as Lawn-Boy owned Gilson at the time... before they were in turn bought by Toro. I almost bought the LB version a few years back.

Thanks for the reply. I had no idea it was built by Gilson until reading the posts here. Also didn't know that Lawn-Boy ever sold a tractor. I had wanted to sell that one and the more I think about it, I think it will stay around for a good tinkering. I mowed a lot of ground with it and it's in need of some updates I'm sure. Probably see if I can find more attachments for it too. Funny how that works out.  

Thanks again Canawler..

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 31,403 Thanks
  • 41,589 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 06:31 AM

We have a few folks here with those Gilson built Fords. We're learning more about them as we go.

#11 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• 30 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted June 26, 2015 - 07:05 AM

We have a few folks here with those Gilson built Fords. We're learning more about them as we go.

When I bought mine, I had no idea how it would be. It was in good condition and mostly I just wanted the bigger engine. Had LGT145's for many years. It turned out to be a very good tractor and it was the only one of those that I ever ran across. I'm glad to have found this site with others that share the interest.

I appreciate the comments.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 314 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 08:04 PM

I have one that looks exactly like Delmar's.  I talked a buddy of mine into the GT world the other day and he picked up his first LGT18H the other day with a tiller attached, this coming week he is heading out to pick up another one, I think he is hooked :D

With the 3pt on the back and good AG tread ATV tires mine turned into a full-on work mule.

• Delmar said thank you

#13 blacktruck OFFLINE  

blacktruck

• 30 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 06, 2015 - 07:16 AM

I have one that looks exactly like Delmar's.  I talked a buddy of mine into the GT world the other day and he picked up his first LGT18H the other day with a tiller attached, this coming week he is heading out to pick up another one, I think he is hooked :D

With the 3pt on the back and good AG tread ATV tires mine turned into a full-on work mule.

Please post a picture of it if you can. I've got a tiller for mine but no 3pt. I would like to see how the 3pt is arranged.
Thanks..

#14 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 314 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 11:55 AM

Here is a picture of the 3pt.

Attached Thumbnails

• 140319_0001.jpg

• blacktruck and Delmar have said thanks

#15 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 314 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 12:37 PM

Here is a picture of the 3pt.

This is a old picture, now the GT has 25" ATV AG bar tires on it.

• Delmar said thank you