3 replies to this topic

#1 Canawler ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:14 PM

I'm in the market for a nice used self-propelled walk-behind mower and I'm primarily considering Ariens Classics without the swivel wheels and Snapper mulchers (old style, not the Walmart line.) I mainly use the walk-behind to trim and hit the hill that is the front yard. Pretty much always mulch except in the spring if the grass is too thick to mulch, I'll side discharge but never bag.

From what I understand they use the same drive system? Anyone that's had both, which is better built? Which cuts better given my useage? They both seem to run about the same prices on CL in this area but there sure are wide price variations.

Edited by Canawler, June 04, 2015 - 06:16 PM.

• holdenboy1960, laurarg3 and georgepf11 have said thanks

#2 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,361 Thanks
  • 8,696 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:33 PM

I've used the Ariens before, thought it was well built and cut very well. I did not own it, however. No experience with a Snapper.

Like this one:

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,781 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Which ever you decide on be sure you get on with the large (10" +) back wheels.  You will be amazed at how much easire they are to handle.  They travel over the ground smoother, pull backward easier and push easier.  You will not be usding slef prpelled all the time.  We bought a new on last year for trim work where my 48" can't get to.  Other half run is and has the large wheels on back bu no self propelled.  She loves it and does about 45 min of work with it each mowing.  We all have our own ideas as to what we want/need so these are our opinions.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#4 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62113
  • 1,465 Thanks
  • 812 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 08:32 AM

here is a thought , the longer the wheel base between front & back wheels the more uneven the cut will be on rough ground ,

the shorter the wheel base the smoother the cut 

An elder Gentleman yrs ago put me onto that 1 as he used to enter his yard & garden's in competitions 

Edited by holdenboy1960, June 23, 2015 - 08:35 AM.