LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:40 AM

If you hook a short black rubber tie down on the front and back of their shell, you can carry them like a suit case. Well, not exactly like a suit case.

• WHdbJD said thank you

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 07:04 AM

If you hook a short black rubber tie down on the front and back of their shell, you can carry them like a suit case. Well, not exactly like a suit case.

I won't want that sucker anywhere near any of my body parts!

• WHdbJD said thank you

#18 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 584 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 07:05 AM

I'd like to see the TSA at the airports inspect that suitcase! :D

• KennyP, Delmar, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#19 DennyIN ONLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 07:48 AM

Whed I was a kid I went with my uncle and he would wade along the creek banks feeling for turtles, it was my job to carry the burlap bag. You carry the bag out away from you so they don't snap at your leg if it brushes up against you. He cleaned and ate his catch. I remember putting one of them in the back of a pickup, and stuck a rake handle in front of it. He locked onto it before I could blink an eye. I couldn't shake that thing off.      

#20 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Been a long long while since I had seen this move, but it's the first thing that came to mind lol

https://youtu.be/Fw_8j3MwfZo

• Sawdust said thank you

#21 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 08:55 AM

Snappers can jump straight up and spin completely around and grab you before you know it. As a kid in NC I've seen alligator snappers jump 12" off the ground and spin to grab at something behind them. They taste like oily fish to me, the old black men use to buy the ones I caught, they made soup with them.

That happened to me too one time. I was messing with one in front of the kids. Between the height of his jump & the length of his neck he almost got me. He tore a chunk out of the stick just a few inches from where my hand was.

Edited by Sawdust, June 04, 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#22 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 12:36 PM

Whed I was a kid I went with my uncle and he would wade along the creek banks feeling for turtles, it was my job to carry the burlap bag. You carry the bag out away from you so they don't snap at your leg if it brushes up against you. He cleaned and ate his catch. I remember putting one of them in the back of a pickup, and stuck a rake handle in front of it. He locked onto it before I could blink an eye. I couldn't shake that thing off.      

Did they ever lock on to your uncle?

#23 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 01:07 PM

Been a long long while since I had seen this move, but it's the first thing that came to mind lol

https://youtu.be/Fw_8j3MwfZo

hahaha great movie.

The one that latched onto my nose was around 10" across it's back.Picked it up while digging Freshwater Mussels out of the freshly drained Shawnee Lake.They drain it every couple of years to help control the algae and sea weed? Dang thing bled for a long time.Still got a scar on my nose from it.I'm just lucky it let go.Some of them will lock there jaws and you have to cut it's head off to get it to release.

I ate many a turtle down at the farm.There is a spring fed swamp down in the bottom that's roughly 200 yards long and 30 yards or so wide and around 6-8 foot deep at the deepest part.Some of those snappers were pretty big around 2 foot across but most were around 14-16" across.

I ate a bit of everything.Even groundhog is good tasting if properly cooked.

#24 DennyIN ONLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:45 PM

Whed I was a kid I went with my uncle and he would wade along the creek banks feeling for turtles, it was my job to carry the burlap bag. You carry the bag out away from you so they don't snap at your leg if it brushes up against you. He cleaned and ate his catch. I remember putting one of them in the back of a pickup, and stuck a rake handle in front of it. He locked onto it before I could blink an eye. I couldn't shake that thing off.      

Did they ever lock on to your uncle?

Not that I remember.