Going on Vacation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 11:49 AM

I havn't been on a vac. in years,,,   Are there any tips that you weary travelers can give ...    Best way to travel with cash...  check,, cash,, travelers check,, credit card,,...

Pay for gas with credit card or cash...

Most hotels don't take cash anymore,,  So  C-card will probably have to do..

Any other advice..????

I'm heading from   Wis.  to  Ocala fl.

• Texas Deere and Horse and tinbender7 have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 12:35 PM

I use cash a lot, but at the gas pump I use a Debit Card so I don't have to go in and out of the store a bunch of times to prepay to fill up.

You will need a Debit/Credit card for reservations made online for hotels and such. Have a GREAT Trip !!

• tinbender7, sodisr and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,048 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 12:45 PM

I've never encountered a hotel that would not accept a cash payment.  ...However, it is almost impossible to reserve a hotel room without a credit card.  .....I often reserve with a credit card, but pay with cash upon check-out.

I haven't seen travelers' checks used in years, but i guess they still exist.

Many scams are sourced at gas stations when a credit card is presented.  .....If you handle the card yourself at the pump, there is less chance of fraud.

Cash is still king!  .....During power outages after storms here, many stores could not process credit cards.  .....Some people don't carry enough cash to buy a cup of coffee or a tank of gas.

Also, if travelling with cash, I like to divide it up into several places.  ....I carry some, my wife carries some, some hidden in vehicle, some in luggage, etc.  ....If I lose my wallet, all is not lost.  ....If the vehicle gets stolen, not all is lost. .....I just don't leave cash in any hotel room, even if it has an in-room safe!

If I have a large amount of cash with me, I apply it to my hotel stay "on account" and get a receipt showing the transaction..  ....I only do this at a large, name-brand hotel that will allow this.  .....It is then their responsibility if the money is lost, stolen, or mis-placed.  .....Upon check-out, I get the excess payment returned in cash.

Debit cards are at more risk than a credit card.  ....At least, with a credit card, you can dispute charges when the bill comes.  ....With a debit card, the money can be gone from your account before you realize you're a victim.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Traill95, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,668 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 12:57 PM

If going to be out in tourist trap area, I always put a bill in my sock as a what if fund.
I agree with above, card at pump, split up cash, sometimes I will get a prepay card with what i figure for fuel. Then if someone gets that number, its not all gone.
Don't carry wallet in back pocket

Have a great time.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, sodisr and 2 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,483 Thanks
  • 7,354 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 01:38 PM

I always wear Wrangler jeans. The watch pocket holds a spare house key, a spare car key, and a folded up $100 bill(when away from home).

Debit cards are a bad idea and now the banks are proving it. It is much better to use a credit card and dispute fraudulent charges than to beg a bank to give you money that someone took from your account with your debit card number. For travelling, a separate card with a low credit limit can help make you less vulnerable.

Two years ago when we were in LA for a month, we opened a local bank account and did a bank to bank transfer so that it was easy to get cash(an ATM would have worked too).

Don't forget to service the car. I like having  AAA when travelling. I hope that you have a safe and fun trip. Good Luck, Rick

• Texas Deere and Horse, sodisr and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#6 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62323
  • 199 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 02:36 PM

Lots of good tips already

I'd say within the US, you're perfectly fine with just a credit card and cash

Internationally you need to be much more careful with handing credit/debit cards and there's some places that won't accept them. In FL you should have no problems at all

Have fun!

• sodisr and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 DougT ONLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,520 Thanks
  • 4,177 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 03:17 PM

there are a lot of places that won't take traveller's check because of fraud. Also tell your bank or crdit card people if you are travelling and where you are going. Making charges away from home can be a red flag for suspicious activity and will get your card blocked until you call and verify.

• sodisr said thank you

#8 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,252 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 03:43 PM

I have not had a bad experience with the debit card. I was notified by both of my banks that they suspected fraudulent activity and blocked the transactions. Any money that was used was returned to me without any work on my end.

If you do use a debit card, make sure you let the bank know a few days before you leave. If they notice any activity outside of your normal area, they will deactivate it.

• boyscout862, sodisr and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,630 Thanks
  • 39,004 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 06:14 PM

What's a vacation?

• sodisr, superaben and karl have said thanks

#10 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 886 Thanks
  • 544 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 07:39 PM

I don't carry a lot of cash. Just enough for incidentals. If you use your debit card to pay for hotels, keep in mind they are putting a hold on your funds when you check in. This will initially be more than your hotel bill to cover any incidentals you may charge to the room while you are there. When you check out it will settle to the final dollar amount but it could be a couple of days before the hold clears your bank. During that period you can not get to that money.

Just use a credit card. I travel all over the US and deep into South America and always use credit cards. Do cover the keypad when doing your PIN or zip code at pay at the pump.

Have fun and enjoy your time off.
  • sodisr said thank you

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 07:54 PM

What's a vacation?

Good question, Kenny.  I used to know but I forget now.

Ben W.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 Bmerf ONLINE  

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,667 Thanks
  • 1,421 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 08:38 PM

Keep only a few small bills, one bank card, and your license in your front pocket. I don't carry a wallet (nothing to put in there) My bank card is a debit/credit card. Credit comes out of my checking account just like a debit card. Use the credit option; It will offer you protection from lost or stolen numbers. A debit card will not and you will be responsible for charges. Pay for gas at the pump using credit option. Need to go into the store? Only pull out enough to pay the bill. Never show a lot of cash.

Travel with the doors locked and never less than 1/4 tank of gas; you may make a wrong turn and find yourself in the wrong part of town.

Leave plenty of time to get to your destination; you will find a few interesting places along the way. Stop and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Bmerf, June 03, 2015 - 08:39 PM.

• sodisr and karl have said thanks

#13 karl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38218
  • 923 Thanks
  • 698 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 04:12 AM

credit is exceptable,but cash is king.plus you never know what kind of good deal you might meet up with for sale on the side of the road,and they won't take plastic.
  • sodisr and oldedeeres have said thanks