#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Well, an announcement just came out from the Ohio extenstion office the the Ohio Dept of Ag has cancelled any poultry shows, poultry at fairs, market sales or swap meets due to the avain flu outbreak. Ohio has had no virus reports, but hey have made this decision to prevent any outbreaks or spreads, Ohio is the second largest egg producer in the country. Our small animal barn is going to be empty as 1/3 of it is chickens, turkeys and ducks.

I understand the issue and reasoning, but we are really PO'd right now. They didn't do this with the swine flu 2 yrs ago and our county had major outbreaks, people even got sick at the fair, but the piggies were still there.

We bought our turkeys in March, been feeding them out and we just purchased 15 market chickens last week. We are out that money, plus the kids were counting on the money from the sales, each kid would have averaged about $225-250 from the sale a 1 turkey and 3 chickens. Just sucks.

I guess on the bright side, I won't have to spend much more feed costs on the turkeys. They will all get butchered 2 months earlier than last year which mean soon, that feed is $18 per 50# and they eat a lot!

http://www.ohioagric...t Avian Flu.pdf

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 08:24 AM

May be that they learned from past mistakes?  Had the pigs there and people got sick at the fair?  Just my thoughts on the situation.  Sorry the kids don't get the money from the sales but life goes on, hard and soft times.

• tinbender7 and TAHOE have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 08:32 AM

Sorry to hear Marty. I guess it's one of those many reasons most people choose not to farm anymore wether it's fields or pens farming is a risk every way you look at it. So much appreciation for those that do farm & those that teach the life of a farmer.

• tinbender7, TAHOE and propane1 have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:01 AM

They just announced that here in Michigan yesterday also. I think they are trying to be proactive. I know kids work hard to raise groom and prepare their animals for show. They said here that the kids would still be able to participate by telling about their animals and writing about them. They just wouldn't be able to have them at the fair. My suggestion was that they should let the kids video all aspects of the process and then let them present the video, just fore the visual affects< at the fair just as if they were there with the animals. Always liked looking at the animals at the fairs a lot of proud kids, that show a lot of hard work, care and pride.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Roger

• olcowhand, tinbender7, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:29 AM

They said here that the kids would still be able to participate by telling about their animals and writing about them. They just wouldn't be able to have them at the fair.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Roger

Yea, we got that too which at our fair is a bunch of bull. The kids are "supposed" to fill out feed records, weigh them, etc as record of the project, but it's not judged so majority do not do it. Our fair is about showing up with your animal, showing in a ring before a judge, then selling the market projects at the end. Not having them at the fair and not showing is no project participation for our kids.

My kids said they have learned that mom /dad are out animal and feed costs and they are out sale money at the end.....typical teenagers! :D

• olcowhand, hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:36 AM

So sorry guys....truly sucks.  

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 11:23 AM

May be that they learned from past mistakes? .

Yup! It's good your kids didn't have pigs.

#8 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 11:48 AM

Announced that here several weeks ago, I remember the outbreak 7or8 years ago, there was a person testing all fowl coming into the auction, got to the point where we had to read our own electric meter and send it in as they wouldn't come onto any farm that had any kind of fowl.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 03:25 PM

Yea, we got that too which at our fair is a bunch of bull. The kids are "supposed" to fill out feed records, weigh them, etc as record of the project, but it's not judged so majority do not do it. Our fair is about showing up with your animal, showing in a ring before a judge, then selling the market projects at the end. Not having them at the fair and not showing is no project participation for our kids.
My kids said they have learned that mom /dad are out animal and feed costs and they are out sale money at the end.....typical teenagers! :D

As long as they learned something

I cant remember why we had an issue with the dairy cattle up here one year. They were talking about doing something like this too.
The plan as I recall it was: let the leaders of each club pick the rep from the animals that was to be shown and then a judge went and looked at each of those animals. Winners to be announced at the fair.
It never had to happen... Thankfully
Wouldn't know how you could do an auction without the animals tho.

Tell the kids, we hope they are able to do something next year
  • TAHOE said thank you

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 06:40 PM

not to be little the kids, but this bird flu thing is big, and if they have to do without prizes,  so be it. Most of the western half of Iowa is killing birds off by the 1000's. Guys that raise these birds are losing 10, 000's of dollars. Some might face bankruptcy do to the loss of all there animal's and wont be able to start more for a while.  Just last week another growers turkeys were found to have it, and his 17,000 birds will have to be killed. There have even been report of private flocks having to be put down. Back when I was raising 1800 hens for eggs, this kind of thing would have been unrecoverable.

I do feel sorry for the kids, I used to do 4-H myself when younger, but there's a lot more at stake here than a couple blue ribbons and a fair premium.

• KennyP and TAHOE have said thanks

#11 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 07:31 PM

not to be little the kids, but this bird flu thing is big, and if they have to do without prizes,  so be it. Most of the western half of Iowa is killing birds off by the 1000's. Guys that raise these birds are losing 10, 000's of dollars. Some might face bankruptcy do to the loss of all there animal's and wont be able to start more for a while.  Just last week another growers turkeys were found to have it, and his 17,000 birds will have to be killed. There have even been report of private flocks having to be put down. Back when I was raising 1800 hens for eggs, this kind of thing would have been unrecoverable.

I do feel sorry for the kids, I used to do 4-H myself when younger, but there's a lot more at stake here than a couple blue ribbons and a fair premium.

So they have caught it in small flocks now, then it's really, really bad, usually small flocks tend to be a little safer.

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:25 PM

I understand the bigger picture of the national chicken industry and how this avian flu affects it.

I can still gripe to you all though.  :smilewink:

I found out today through someone else that the 4H and people in the industry has known for a bit that this ban was going to happen.

What a coincidence that is was announced the day after the deadline that we had to have all our 4H birds in our possession,....maybe a little helping the hatcheries and screwing the kids/parents.  :mad2:

Guess we fill the freezers 

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 10:19 PM

They are doing it here as well.
I'm surprised, but if it means the difference between a few blue ribbons and no KFC...
Just kidding, but I guess if its for the greater good. I didnt realize how bad the epidemic is until I started reading.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 12:59 PM

My nephew had 20K pullets coming in last week. He had quarantined his property for a while in advance and is very diligent about who or what comes on property.  These birds have to be ordered a year in advance so you lose a flock your year is done!,,no phoning in to reorder for next week...

• Lauber1 and TAHOE have said thanks