The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,578 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 04:28 PM

Bear with me here....

Ok,   Lil brother [he's older, I'm bigger] is not really into garden tractors.  Mom dropped him on his head when he was small and now he plays with airplanes and micro-cars, leaving garden tractors alone for the most part.  He has, however, always has always had a real soft spot for the early riders with round hoods.  His all time favorite is the Bolens Ride-A-Matic. 

Next door to his girlfriends house was a 1959 21HD-01 Ride-A-Matic in kit form and rough as a tractor can be and still exist.  He has eyeballed this tractor for a dozen years or so but the old guy wouldn't sell. 

There seemed to be a few generations of that family living with "grandpa" in that house.

Well the owner passed away not all that long ago and the rest of the family has very recently vacated the house.  Brother was finally able to get the tractor bought and just got it home in the last couple of days. 

Brother lives 2 hours drive from me but I was down that way for my job this morning so I dropped in for a close-up of this "Bolens". 

My first reaction to seeing it was "it's RED!!.

Immediately I start thinking Western Auto Wizzard!  We are near Kansas City afterall.

This tractor has very little of the original paint left but with a close inspection I see absolutely no trace of green paint on the tractor itself.  The serial tag clearly says Bolens so I wonder what it is.  He got most of the parts including a grille and gas tank but I'm not sure if they are red or green.  I didn't find the grille or tank while I was there so I haven't seen them.  He said the grille says Bolens.  I forgot to ask the color of those parts.  I think if they were green they came from a different tractor.  He did NOT get a hood so no way to know if the grille and tank are Versa-Matic or Ride A-matic. If he had recieved a hood in the deal that said Versa-Matic then we'd know its not from this machine.

Being a good GTTalker,  I fired up the camera.  

Bolens Wizzard 4.JPG ,Bolens Wizzard 5.JPG

Also included with the purchase were a few implements.  Those implements are clearly Bolens green along with the usual surface rust.  Some of you will drool on the implement pics so back away from your keyboard just a lil.

Bolens Wizzard 1.jpg ,Bolens Wizzard 2.jpg ,Bolens Wizzard 3.jpg

WHY WAS THE TRACTOR RED??

Edited by Gtractor, June 01, 2015 - 06:37 PM.

• Alc, CRFarnsworth, Traill95 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 04:33 PM

Probably just repainted

The hoods on the wizard branded machines were branded Wizard on the front and ID tag. Someone likely repainted the machine.

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#3 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 06:01 PM

Its a bolens not a wizard it would have a Western Auto tag if it was.   Whats the numbers on the tag? 

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,578 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 06:40 PM

Well, crud  :wallbanging:

The model is  21HD-01

Thanks for the input guys.  Brother said he'd remove something that is bolted to the frame and see what kind of paint is under there.

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Should be the 1957 Bolens Super Ride-a-Matic

#6 Littlebird OFFLINE  

Littlebird
  • Member No: 71296
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 08:54 PM

I am the "lil" brother.  Thought I would mention the serial number is 30173.  I don't know if that helps with anything or not.  The model number is written like this:  21 HD 01 with that spacing, but I when I see it listed online it is written like this:  21HD 01.   I was busy tonight with other projects and didn't remove anything to see if there was green, but will get it done before long.  The hood parts mentioned have been sprayed with grey primer.  I could clean the primer back off with laquer thinner I guess to see if green but either way I suspect this hood/grille to not be original to the tractor.  

One question I have..  Should this have the air cleaner on it that has the curved aluminum snout connected to a large round oil bath air cleaner sticking out a round hole in the hood?  I am missing that air cleaner if that is what it is supposed to have.

Thanks!

Kevin.

• Gtractor and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#7 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 09:41 PM

I am the "lil" brother.  Thought I would mention the serial number is 30173.  I don't know if that helps with anything or not.  The model number is written like this:  21 HD 01 with that spacing, but I when I see it listed online it is written like this:  21HD 01.   I was busy tonight with other projects and didn't remove anything to see if there was green, but will get it done before long.  The hood parts mentioned have been sprayed with grey primer.  I could clean the primer back off with laquer thinner I guess to see if green but either way I suspect this hood/grille to not be original to the tractor.  

One question I have..  Should this have the air cleaner on it that has the curved aluminum snout connected to a large round oil bath air cleaner sticking out a round hole in the hood?  I am missing that air cleaner if that is what it is supposed to have.

Thanks!

Kevin.

Hi and welcome to GTtalk!  21HD01 any way you put it is a 1957 Ride a matic Serial number even makes it one.

Yours should look like my dads here.  

post-51-0-41089300-1413136107.jpg  post-51-0-83249700-1413136300.jpg

• Alc, MailmAn, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 09:48 PM

If the hood has a hole for an air cleaner, it is not the right hood for your tractor.
  • Gtractor and Littlebird have said thanks

#9 Littlebird OFFLINE  

Littlebird
  • Member No: 71296
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 10:10 PM

I removed a few parts from the Bolens today and found everything to be red in color.  There is no sign of green on this tractor at all.  The speed changer decal is still on the chain cover and everything around it is red.  If this isn't original paint, it sure has me fooled.  The paint is very thin and the tractor is mostly rust but it was either completely sand blasted YEARS ago and painted red with new decals or it came out red.  My grille is Bolens, not Wizard and the tin hood is missing, but do have the hanging oil bath air cleaner like Wilberj shows on his Bolens.  Is there any way this could have been a Bolens and still be red?  

Thank you.

Kevin.

#10 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 10:46 PM

I removed a few parts from the Bolens today and found everything to be red in color.  There is no sign of green on this tractor at all.  The speed changer decal is still on the chain cover and everything around it is red.  If this isn't original paint, it sure has me fooled.  The paint is very thin and the tractor is mostly rust but it was either completely sand blasted YEARS ago and painted red with new decals or it came out red.  My grille is Bolens, not Wizard and the tin hood is missing, but do have the hanging oil bath air cleaner like Wilberj shows on his Bolens.  Is there any way this could have been a Bolens and still be red?  

Thank you.
Kevin.

Probably a repaint some time in the distant past, I would think.

#11 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 07:33 AM

Probably a repaint some time in the distant past, I would think.

:ditto:

58 years leaves alot of unknown's in a tractors life could have been repainted red 30 years ago......

• Gtractor and Littlebird have said thanks

#12 rl1973 OFFLINE  

rl1973
  • Member No: 75905
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 09:15 AM

Do you still have this frame i need some parts for my bolens 1957 super ram?

#13 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 09:31 AM

This is way off topic but I'm curious.

What year is the Metropolitan ?

#14 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

• Member No: 6766
  • 28 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 06:51 AM

it could be a wizard i am sure on the one episode of tractor fever they show one. let me confirm this but from what i remember they are rare as hens teeth according to what the guy said, and once again i didn't read the dates o well lol

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,578 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted May 24, 2016 - 03:54 PM

Do you still have this frame i need some parts for my bolens 1957 super ram?

He's going to fix this one up.... someday.  You should PM "Bolens1000"  He may have what you are looking for.  If not then start a new topic asking for the parts.