16 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 03:17 PM

Hi Guys,

I've admired Shaw Du-All tractors at shows for years but have never had one nor know much about them...I'm eager to learn though!

I was contacted recently by a gentleman offering me an R-7; what I'd say is a project tractor. The way he described it is that it's all there but has a replacement engine in it.

-When were the R-7's manufactured?

-What was the original engine used in an R-7; Briggs ZZ? 

-Were hoods an option? (He mentioned that this tractor doesn't have a hood.)

What were the various Shaw Du-All models? I've heard of an R12 with a twin cylinder Wisconsin engine, R6, R8 and now this R7 but honestly don't really know the differences between any of them. 

Thanks in advance for any education!

Rob

#2 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 03:25 PM

The R series had  gear reduction drop downs to the rear wheels. the N series didn't. The number represents engine HP. I believe they all had a hood. Maybe Cliff will stop by and fill you in on the rest. If not, I can check my notes and give you more info later tonight.

• oldiron1 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 03:28 PM

Check these out: http://gardentractor...ruction-manual/  , http://gardentractor...sales-brochure/   and http://gardentractor...or-catalog-no7/   Good Luck, Rick

#4 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 04:11 PM

Here's a link to three Shaw catalogs you can look at, Catalog Numbers 20, 21 and 23.  I also have 22, 24 and 25, I think, but haven't finished scanning them in yet.  It takes forever.  Catalogs 20 and 21 are very interesting but pre-date the tractors that you're looking for, so if you're looking for info on the R series, then you may want to look at number 23.  There is also more good and relevant info in two of the other catalogs that I have yet to scan in (the other one is just on walk behinds).  There are other scans of literature on that page too, but I just pointed out the stuff having to do with riders.  Like I said, I have more to add that you'd be interested in, including some other pieces of literature, but just haven't gotten there yet.  Maybe I'll work on it this week so you can peruse it sooner rather than later.  They're still my favourite garden tractor, and I don't even have one, well, not anymore.  I need to find another one.

http://www.oldironga...om/shaw-du-all/

Edited by jtrojek, June 01, 2015 - 04:12 PM.

• Alc and oldiron1 have said thanks

#5 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 04:17 PM

There are also a few for sale right now, just for comparison's sake.

An R12:

http://youngstown.cr...5027026147.html

An R7:

http://reading.craig...5044741359.html

An R7 and R8:

http://cnj.craigslis...5038213405.html

#6 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:02 PM

The first Shaw Riding tractors were the RD-series which were offered nationally
starting around 1938. These were based on the D-series walk behinds. The trans-
mission and final drives were the same, but the frame and belt case were extended
and a front end and steering gear were added. These were available with 3 to 8 HPengines.

The second series of riding tractors was the HY-series. These also started in
1938 and used a conventional drive train with an inline engine, disc type clutch,
Three speed T-84 Trans, cut down model A Ford rear differential, and two drop
down final drive bull gears. These were available with 5 and 8 HP engines. These
tractors are much wider than all other models of Shaw Tractors.

In 1940, the RD-series were replaced by the R7 Shaw. The R7 was the same as an
HY tractor except it was much narrower in width and used a 7HP Briggs ZZP engine.All of these models used 6.00 X 22 rear tires and 4.00 X 15 front tires standard with steel tires optional.

1942 comes along and WWII screws up everything. A few tractors are produced from
what parts are available that the ration board allows to be sold. Most of Shaw
production is now small parts for the war effort.

1946 is a time of constant material shortages for all manufactures. A handful of
HY8 and R7 tractors are completed with leftover parts. The HY8 is replaced by
the Model R9. The R7 is replaced by the R7A. Most of late 1946 and 1947 product-
ion is walking tractors as less material is required for production.

1948 brings the riders back in production. The R7A is replaced by the R6 and the R9 is replaced by the R12T. The R3 and R5 are introduced. All of these used 3.00
X 12 front tires standard and 6-24 rear tires standard. R7A,R6,and R5 models had
7.50 x 16 rear tires optional. R3 used 5.50 x 16 rear tires. Engines were R3
Model B Briggs, R5 Model 14 Briggs, R6, R7A Model ZZP Briggs, R9 Wisconsin AHH,
R12T Wisconsin TF

Cliff
  • Alc and oldiron1 have said thanks

#7 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 11:19 PM

Cliff & Jamie,

Wow...thanks so much for all the great info!! I really appreciate it.

Shaw's are new to me. I've always admired them, but haven't known anything about them until now. I'll keep you posted and let you know if anything pans out...

Where did the N-series fit in? They look like a little more modern, smaller version of the R-series; am I in the ball park?

Jamie, if you don't mind, I'd love to see some of the literature that you've collected!

Thanks again, Rob

#8 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 09:04 AM

N-series were produced in 1954 and 1955 and used complete 1937-1939 Ford V-8 power trains from the flywheel to the rear wheels.

Shaw built a transfer case to reduce speed from the engine to the flywheel that bolted to the engine and the Ford V-8 transmission. 2

through 8 HP engines were used. All front tires were 3.00 X 12 and rear were 5.50 X 16 to 8-24 as options.

The R-8 replaced the R-6 in late 1950 as Briggs replaced the ZZP with the Model 23.

All models had hoods as standard equipment.

Cliff

• Alc said thank you

#9 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Cliff,

Turns out the tractor Im looking at is actually an R5 rather than an R7 as he thought so it should have a Briggs 14 engine? . It doesn't have a hood...how often do hoods come up? Was the same hood common to multiple models?

Besides the R5, he has an R12T and a N8 he's parting with too...wish my checking account was alot bigger! They are all interesting to me.

Is there literature or pictures of the Red series model lineup to compare them? The R9 seems especially interesting with a Wisconsin AHH...I really like Wisconsin engines.

#10 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 06:23 PM

The hoods are different on all models as the engines are different.  The front is a casting and the top is sheet metal.  They are very

similar looking, but do not interchange.  There were only 51 R9 tractors produced and there was no literature published on them.  I

have knowledge of five and have one.

Cliff

#11 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 07:27 PM

Sounds like finding a hood for the R5 will be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Wow, only 51 R9. .guess that's another needle in a haystack. If you don't mind posting or sending me a picture I'd love to see your R9. It sure sounds neat.

Is there anywhere online or a book with good Shaw tractor info...different model info as you've explained, production numbers, etc?

Thanks, Rob

#12 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 08:49 AM

Here is the N8 that I was offered. It certainly needs some TLC but it almost looks to me that it has a Wisconsin engine by the air cleaner being on the left side. Interesting little tractor to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000753.JPG

#13 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 09:03 AM

Here is the R5. I realize the Kohler engine is a replacement however what do you make up that interesting looking bellhousing between the engine and transmission?

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000765.JPG

#14 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 09:55 AM

The bell housing is open and covered with sheet metal sides. That looks original to me.

#15 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 10:17 AM

The R12T is my favorite as I love the 2 cylinder Wisconsin. I wish my wallet and she'd both were bigger! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000760.JPG