• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eblanks OFFLINE  

eblanks

• Member No: 2502
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 01:52 PM

Hoping I can get some help before I do something ugly to my carburetor (like shoot it).  I've got a 1050 with Tra-10d engine and zenith carb.  Last winter I noticed the carb was leaking gas.  No biggie, I pulled the carb, disassembled it.  Put the whole thing in carb dip for about 24 hours.  Noticed that the mating surfaces of the top and bottom half were slightly warped so I sanded them down, re-cleaned them and put the whole thing back together.  The leak is fixed, but now I cannot get it adjusted properly.  The tractor will cold crank, but as soon as the engine begins to warm she sputters and dies and will not crank until it gets cold again.  No amount of working with the choke seems to have any effect.  I have the factory manual for the zenith and have followed their recommendations on dialing in the idle screw and mixture screw but still no luck.  I put a new carb kit in it about 3 years ago so the replaceable parts are relatively new.  Any help would be appreciated.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 02:26 PM

I've got to suspect the fuel is not getting to the carb, a carb passage is blocked, or it may be the ignition. Check the spark first. Then check fuel flow at the carb inlet. If you have a fuel pump, it could be the culprit. Lastly you may have to disassemble the carb again because fuel lines and filters fall apart from the "improved"  gas we have now. That will put crap into the carb passages.  Good Luck, Rick 

Edited by boyscout862, June 01, 2015 - 02:27 PM.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#3 eblanks OFFLINE  

eblanks

• 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 02:29 PM

I did put in a new fuel line and filter while I had the carb off, it made sense to do it while everything was drained and disassembled.  It's all gravity flow, there's no fuel pump, but I've never had one in the past.  Are you assuming that I'm just burning up the fuel in the bowl, but not getting enough new gas into the carb to keep it running?

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 02:30 PM

Hello,

Could be an ignition problem as well. have you put a spark tester on it and seen if the spark goes away as it stalls?

How long does it run before it stalls?

Did you install the OEM style fuel valve with screen or did you put an inline filter on it?

#5 eblanks OFFLINE  

eblanks

• 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 02:39 PM

I have not tested the spark yet, I'll do that soon.  I have both the screen type filter in the tank and an inline filter that I bought at tractor supply. 

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 02:45 PM

I would just use the OEm style on the tank as its fine enough to catch particles

Did you get an inline for Gravity fed? There's ones for fuel pumps also that will not allow gas to flow properly.....

#7 eblanks OFFLINE  

eblanks

• 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 02:52 PM

I'll be honest I wasn't aware there was a difference.  I'll pull the inline filter off see I that makes any improvement.  Thanks for the tip.

#8 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Could possibly be a coil, once it gets warm it doesn't wanna work right, I've had that problem before, changed that and didn't have a problem. Not saying that is the problem but could try it if you have one laying around

#9 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 05:39 PM

Had the exact same issue with my 1050 a few days ago, I had run a new fuel line (behind the flywheel) when I had it apart to change the head gasket and I made the mistake of leaving the line too long and it got pinched. I could run for 30 seconds or so before she stalled and I had to wait 20 minutes before it restarted, it obviously took that long to drip feed the carb and fill the fuel line.

Edited by chubien, June 01, 2015 - 08:53 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 07:29 PM

I ran into a similar situation with my 1053 the other day.  Was using the tiller to weed and it would run about 30 ft. under load and then die.  Start right up an another 30 ft and would die.  Put it in the shed and yesterday went down and filled the tank with fuel and back to weeding again.  Worked it hard and had no problem what so ever.  Even stalled it a couple times due to the hard ground.  I have the original filer in the tank fitting and an inline filter for gravity feed. My assumption is that with a full tank of fuel there was enough pressure to push the gas to the carb and keep it running.  When the tank got down to 1/8th or less the pressure went away ant he fuel slow slowed enough to starve the engine.  the in line filter will be removed and  run on the tank filter only.

#11 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 03:44 PM

Run it until it dies. Then take the plug out and see if it's wet. If so, clean it off, put it back and try to start. Happened to my Briggs 12.5 opposed, the head gaskets were bad resulting in bad compression.

#12 eblanks OFFLINE  

eblanks

• 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 03:14 PM

I'm going to re-do the fuel line tonight and pull off the inline filter, I had one on earlier and everything seemed to work fine, then switched to a different style, so that is about the only thing that has really changed.  I'll post an update hopefully tomorrow.  Thanks again for all the suggestions.