wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 09:17 PM

So here's the challenge, and my approach. Many of my Springfield 36 tractors come in missing something, or even broken/cobbled. Sometimes I have an extra, sometimes I don't think I will have enough to go around. I have one springfield that is not perfect, and it's throttle and choke assembly (control lever assembly) was missing and they "made something work". Well, I don't have enough assemblies (or do depending on how many tractors I want to make), so decided to hunt the Internet for "close enough" and no matter how I sliced it I was not paying $50 or more for something I have to adapt still. So here is where I am so far in building my own. It will mount the same way and function the same way as original, but I will be using throttle cable mounting clamps to mount the cables, and not sure about bump stops yet (if I will add any or not). So far the base is made to where I need to make my levers now. Started with 1.5" box tubing. This is a function over form build, but not going to shortcut on the craftsmanship, since I want it to seem OEM, even though it won't look original under the hood. I'm off to the internet to source similar (adaptable) levers before I attempt making my own. Please note the original assembly I am copying is missing the choke lever on the other side.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433124965.960820.jpg

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, May 31, 2015 - 09:20 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Looks good, Casey.

Maybe the solution to not having enough cables is to stop buying tractors?  :poke:

Ben W. 

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 10:09 PM

Looks good, Casey.

Maybe the solution to not having enough cables is to stop buying tractors?  :poke:

Ben W.

Well, I am at capacity currently, but if someone were to visit with his checkbook I would have room for at least one more lol. :poke:
  • Alc said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 10:31 PM

Nice idea Casey!
Those will work out well.

Hey, the stops are easy. Two more 1/4 20 bolts per side, strategically place.
  • Alc, wvbuzzmaster and superaben have said thanks

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 10:46 PM

Nice idea Casey!
Those will work out well.
Hey, the stops are easy. Two more 1/4 20 bolts per side, strategically place.

Ya, strategic placement of smaller than 1/4" bolts, that's all that holds the lever on lol. A pair of 10-32 bolts holds the bracket to the hood. I think the hard part right now is I will have to Dremel slots in a piece of metal to make a full surround, because I have to be able to cover the hacked out parts on the hood.... I hate stupid people. The debate on stops depends on my surround doing that work or not lol.
  • MH81 said thank you

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 10:25 PM

I went shopping at Ace today and located a piece of 1/8 thick metal to make into levers, and neoprene washers to use as friction elements, like the factory. Tried to make two levers tonight but uh... Instead messed up 10 inches of metal by drilling holes off center.... By a lot... So unhappy about that, but never should have tried to stack and drill.... So when I do this tomorrow... I will get it right... Really wanted to make my levers tonight....
  • Alc said thank you