• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 09:08 AM

I have a 14 hp OHV engine on an MTD LT that the starter gear decided to part company. Looking online, some places are saying the plastic gears are no longer available. Replacement is aluminum. Will the aluminum fit the bendix for the plastic gear? This is the 497595 starter. Seems the aluminum would last longer, but is on a plastic bendix. Anyone else ran into this?
KennyP

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 12:12 PM

I have a 14 hp OHV engine on an MTD LT that the starter gear decided to part company. Looking online, some places are saying the plastic gears are no longer available. Replacement is aluminum. Will the aluminum fit the bendix for the plastic gear? This is the 497595 starter. Seems the aluminum would last longer, but is on a plastic bendix. Anyone else ran into this?
KennyP

When you say Bendix are you referring to what would be the flywheel? Sorry if it is a dumb question as I don't know how the Briggs are setup.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 12:46 PM

It's the spring loaded piece that moves the gear in and out, much like a car starter.
KennyP

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 01:28 PM

The old ones had plastic Bendix & Steel Ring gears. I think the reason they tried the plastic rings was the bendix gears would wear out relatively quick. May buy a couple extras of those.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted March 28, 2011 - 03:38 PM

Your probably right on all counts. I'm going to try my local small engine repair and see what they have to say. This is my 4th year with this LT mowing, and the first gear that broke.
KennyP

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 06:56 AM

I am going to get the starter gear today. I found a video on adjusting the valves, and this may have something to do with the gear breaking, so that will be added into the mix. I have a lot of oily dirt around the mounting base and am wondering where this could be coming from. I plan to clean this up and look over everything real well, but if someone has an idea where the leakage originates and how to fix, I would be very happy. There is no residue near the valve cover, only around the base from the starter around to the carb.
Thanks for any comments.
KennyP