• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Chicken, afraid to put the plants out, or just cautious?  Last few days we have had nite temps in the upper 20's, forecast for the next week in the low to mid 40's.  They said we had lots of frost, some freezing those nights.  I don't want to put the plants out and have to go to the big box stores to replace them after these die from the cold.  What temps do y'all wait for to plant plants?  We put all the seed in the ground last week, the ground was pretty warm and it was hitting 70s daytime/50s nite time.  This weather is nuts, I've usually got the plants in long by now.  (ND)  I've got the bug so bad I can taste it.... LOL

• hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 06:09 AM

Even here near the Atlantic ocean we can get frost in early June. With the crazy temp. swings we have been having this year we haven't put any plants out yet. Lows here are forecasted to be in the 40F range for the next couple of days. We live in a shallow valley between 2 lakes and when conditions are right it can get up to 10F cooler here than near the coast for a few hours just before sunrise. I've found that the growing season temp. wise seems to have shifted a bit towards the fall here. The hours of sun stay the same of course but temps in the fall seem much milder with less frost early in the fall than say 30 years ago. 

• oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,740 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 07:11 AM

We don't have temp issues, but I've been fighting for three day to get plants in the garden. Went 2 weeks without rain while the tiller was broke down, now that I have it tilled up, it's too wet.

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#4 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 07:16 AM

We've had lots of rain for the past 2 weeks and finally got the beans, squash etc in the ground Sat. About a week later than normal.
Mike

#5 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,187 Thanks
  • 2,781 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 08:31 AM

Frost here again last night, and going to frost again here tonight, below 32* F ! We still haven't put a single plant in the garden. Not going to chance it. Lost so much last year due to frost that it's to expensive to do it again. Going to wait until later this week and plant. Not going to as big as last year but will have a few things. Good Luck.

Roger

#6 dlang94 OFFLINE  

dlang94
  • Member No: 63471
  • 245 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 09:00 AM

I got my garden in about a week and a half ago now, in RI, we finally got good rain yesterday and more today. I'm waiting for the pumpkin seeds I put in the ground a week ago to pop up. I don't think I would chance it if I were you I wouldn't want to lose the plants to cold. Happy gardening..when it warms up

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,026 Thanks
  • 5,878 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 09:33 AM

This weather is nuts, I've usually got the plants in long by now.  (ND)  I've got the bug so bad I can taste it.... LOL

Welcome to global warming. If it get's any warmer I'm going to have to take my Long Johns off.  :smilewink:

Our sweet corn has been up for three weeks now. Sure is slow growing though.  :(

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,730 Thanks
  • 4,451 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 09:52 AM

You beat me to it Cvans! I was gonna say, welcome to global warming. Truth is the climate is always shifting and the weather is like a fickle teenage girl and always has been. Our lifetime is such a small sample that we are mistaken to use it as much of guide for overall climate.

• Cvans, oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 11:15 AM

We usually wait until the last week of may or the first week of June.
With the water we got this past weekend, we will be trying Wed... Maybe the weekend.

#10 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,861 Thanks
  • 1,248 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 11:24 AM

The seasons are late,there has been a polar change,the native people of the arctic have noticed it the most.their lives revolve around nature and its cycles,THEY WOULD KNOW!

#11 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,730 Thanks
  • 4,451 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 01:07 PM

The seasons are late,there has been a polar change,the native people of the arctic have noticed it the most.their lives revolve around nature and its cycles,THEY WOULD KNOW!

They would know what they've seen in their short lifespan, I agree. Maybe the seasons have shifted a few weeks back since the end of the Little Ice Age in the mid 1800's, it would be natural for warming to last several hundred years after a cooling event such as that. But the changes we see in our lifetimes are nothing more than blips.

Edited by toppop52, June 01, 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#12 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,290 Thanks
  • 4,271 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 02:10 AM

Heavy frost here last week, checked the long range forecast again today, no sign of frost so I replanted some tomatoes. We'll see what Murphy will about it, lol.
  • KennyP and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#13 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,861 Thanks
  • 1,248 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 06:02 AM

I agree!

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 07:17 PM

Seasons vary a lot across the country, so it is hard to advise someone half way across the continent.
My tomatoes have been in the ground for 3 weeks. My potatoes were hilled for the last time Monday(tall enough they were rubbing on the belly of my tractor, I think it has 14 inches of clearance. The blooms are forming and a couple plants have open blooms.
The rasberries are forming on the vine.
I am in planting zone 5. I think there are 3 planting zones in my state alone.

I would be way late if talking to someone in the SE US?
Weather is unpredictable? Everyone in the central part of the continent is complaining about too much rain. Right now I have a sprinkler going on the tomatoes and my great granddaughter (2) is standing at the back door watching the watty in the Gordon" . Seems the rain storms split and go about 20 miles north or south of me.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 05, 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#15 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 648 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 10:47 PM

Well, in the end it has not mattered if I was chicken or not.  Between the hot sun/dry soil, storms with wind ya can't stand up in, my garden has had the snot beat out of it.  This is going to be the first year I have not had tomatoes, wind has destroyed all my plants.  My corn, what is left, is growing laying down on the ground, beans, how the deer got to them is beyond me, but they got them.  I am getting a few cuckes, and some leaf lettuce, bout it.  The weather is a MEAN old man this year.  Heck, I even have a timer on water hoses to water a couple hours before dawn and the soil is dry and cracked up.  My worst year ever in gardening.  Depressing for sure.  Heck, even my ruebarb and horseradish plants have just wilted and are dying.  The chickens I put out in the garden, with lots of water and shade, have even had a couple of those die.  Just not a great year for me.  On the other hand, I'm looking forward to next year already!! 

• Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks