wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 11:52 PM

We are definitely coming. As long as they are calling for 30% or less chance of rain we will be there. We are going to make it a one day thing and leave early in the morning and come back the same night. Haven't decided what tractors we are bringing yet.

Awesome George, can't wait to meet and greet, I will be floating around there. Probably be seen pulling in and then this large group of GTtalk guys will gather round the truck when I am getting out lol.

#32 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 07:52 AM

I have decided to bring the Bush Hog and dad is going to bring his Bolens 800. We got his fixed on Sunday and ended up being something as simple as set screws coming undone. I got the Bush Hog running and have a couple of odds and ends to take care of before I bring it for sure.

#33 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 09:06 AM

Word of caution George, you may ought to pull the shift cover off the D4-10 before going plowing with it. You need to check the main slider gear to be sure it's not in bad shape. This single gear is the weak point in these transmissions. Many will have teeth worn to a severe angle, chipped or missing teeth. Very quick job to check it out. What happens is the detents wear and don't keep the gears fully meshed, running them with teeth only partially engaged. The engire pull being only on the edges of the gear teeth cause them to literally bend the teeth over time. Left that way, they almost always end up breaking, especially when plowing. No parts available at all for these things unless you get lucky & find a parts machine with good gears.

#34 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 09:09 AM

Word of caution George, you may ought to pull the shift cover off the D4-10 before going plowing with it. You need to check the main slider gear to be sure it's not in bad shape. This single gear is the weak point in these transmissions. Many will have teeth worn to a severe angle, chipped or missing teeth. Very quick job to check it out. What happens is the detents wear and don't keep the gears fully meshed, running them with teeth only partially engaged. The engire pull being only on the edges of the gear teeth cause them to literally bend the teeth over time. Left that way, they almost always end up breaking, especially when plowing. No parts available at all for these things unless you get lucky & find a parts machine with good gears.

I will check it out then, don't really wanna hurt it but would love to pull a plow with it. The good thing is the detents do feel like they are working pretty good from the little bit of driving around I did and checking out all the gears. I will definitely pull the cover off and check the gear though.

#35 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 04:39 AM

Thanks for the advice Daniel. Sounds like something to definitely check. Lack of parts can be a BIG problem. I am looking forward to plowing with the 800. It's a shame that it was actually such a small problem at PA Pow Day, but such are the joys with older equipment.

#36 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 22, 2011 - 09:25 AM

Just checked the ten day forecast and I hope that they're right! Looks like up to a 50% chance of rain EVERY day until Thursday, but only a 10% chance for Friday and Saturday! :dancingbanana::yelclap::dancingbanana::yelclap: May be too soon to celebrate, but here's hoping that, for once, they know what they're talking about!
  • MH81 said thank you

#37 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 26, 2011 - 08:28 AM

Yes the weather looks to be very promising for the weekend :D

#38 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 03:43 AM

Man I'll be envious if you guys get to plow.....but happy for you too. Bad enough I've had my plow day flooded out this weekend, but with how my hydro went on me at the Ky plow day, that makes the flood-out even harder to take. Now I just want it to dry up so I can plant our corn crop.

#39 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 01:56 PM

Alan, is everything still good to go? I didn't know if you guys were going to check the field(s) with all of the rain we have had recently. I am guessing we will still be alright since we should have today and tomorrow for everything to dry out.

#40 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 02:27 PM

So far, everything is a go. I will try to call John tonight & make sure.
Working till 7 tonight, so may try to reach him from work.

#41 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 04:54 PM

Please find out as soon as you can, I load the trailer tomorrow. I am going back out to finish getting the Caterpillar ready, the alternator is mounted and spinning, just need to hook it up, then onto the winch lift to the sleeve hitch.

#42 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 05:26 PM

Left message on answering machine for callback. That's actually a good sign as they are probably outside getting ready.

#43 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 08:17 PM

Just got off the phone with the owner of the Farm. Looks like there will be just a little shy of 20 acres usable for Plow Day. :rocker2:
They will try their best to give us a little leg room. We may a little close quartered, but it should be a good day anyways.

I have one more phone call to make to an organizer to get a feel on expected turnout. As soon as I get a return, I'll post.

#44 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 08:21 PM

That sounds great Alan, can't wait to get there.

#45 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 09:24 PM

I got the phone call. They are expecting a slightly lower turnout due to Weather & Gas prices. They did ask if this was the same group as came a few years ago.
About 3 yrs ago, there was a larger group (for our event) of GT's that came. One gent in particular came on a bit strong. I had to laugh & assured them that this was a group of stand up individuals with good manners.

Looking forward to seeing you all. Let's turn some dirt.