10 replies to this topic

#1 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 07:23 AM

After several months, from the beginning of this problem, I am finally attempting a repair. Trying to keep it short and simple...

Briggs model 24341 has no spark. Removed engine from tractor (Simplicity 101). Removed shroud and, as suspected, found mouse nest (huge)!!! Sheet metal ring attached to flywheel is completely rusted through at one bolt hole.  Installed new points and condenser. Cleaned flywheel magnet and bottom of armature. When spinning flywheel (by hand) I get no spark.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 07:46 AM

Those magnetos die somethimes. Probably an internal short cause by the mouse piss. Before giving up on it check the magneto's ground, the points resistance, the condensor, the plug, and the plug wire. The best tool will be an ohm meter. I have a Big Ten laid up with the same conditions. When I took the 23D engine out of my son's B-10 there was a mouse nest and snake skin in the engine. Good Luck, Rick

http://gardentractor...ere-is-justice/

Edited by boyscout862, May 31, 2015 - 07:56 AM.

• Bill56 said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 07:59 AM

If the coil come back bad then try switching over the external coil for now until a good mag is found.

• Bill56 said thank you

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 08:04 AM

Oops... That was supposed to be Model 243431.
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 09:25 AM

Fixed it for you.

• Bill56 said thank you

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 09:42 AM

Did you clean the points before/after installing them?

New points often get oxidation on the contact surfaces which needs to be removed by drawing some clean paper between the contacts while they are closed.  ....A piece of brown paper bag works very well. 

Are the points gapped properly to .020"?

Flywheel key perfect, with no nicks?

Armature air gap at magnets should be .010"-.014".

• Bolens 1000, Bill56 and classic have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 11:18 AM

I've found on many Briggs, just the grounds are gunked up. Where points mount to block, clean good, mag mount and ground wire ends, clean good. Make sure those very fine wires aren't broken at ground and where it goes to screw on back plate. Screw on backplate can be in need of cleaning, AND, make sure it is insulated from the tin, or it is grounded and won't fire. That screw is Just a connecting point, not to be grounded to metal. The other fine wire from mag goes there, and one from points, and another goes to the ground switch for shut-down. THat one may be on a tab attached to same contact screw.  Mouse piss and just plain eating of wires is common problem with critters. Sometimes they eat the wire insulation of the plug wire too and it gets severed from the mag or even halfway out to plug. CLEANING is best bet.

• Bill56 and classic have said thanks

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 11:19 AM

I thought I had a bad coil on a Briggs 23D, since the points looked in new condition, and I knew the condenser was good. I ordered a new coil right away, then I decided to try the old coil on another engine. Well, the coil was fine and the problem turned out to be with the points, even though they looked fine. Did you clean the flywheel and coil? If so, make sure that there are no rust or metal flakes sticking to the flywheel magnet. Only use sandpaper to clean the flywheel and coil,and do not use a wire brush or steel wool. Make sure the flywheel and coil are completely clean and that the armature (coil) air gap is within spec as mentioned.
  • Bill56 said thank you

#9 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 06:12 PM

Thank you everyone, for all the help. Greatly appreciate it!! Just came in from another round of cleaning and adjusting. Everything is set as specified. Insulation was worn by points cover. I didn't have the correct gauge of wire on hand, so just cut the bad spot out and reattached for now. I had a weak spark for a bit, but then nothing. Checked and cleaned everything again and had the same erratic results.
On another note... Model number 241431, in my Briggs manual, is listed as a rope start. Model 241434 is listed as a belt driven starter/generator model. Number on my engine is the 431 number, so I'm a bit confused. Will the different model number make any difference if I should go on a search for a new coil?

#10 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 09:16 PM

Thank you everyone, for all the help. Greatly appreciate it!! Just came in from another round of cleaning and adjusting. Everything is set as specified. Insulation was worn by points cover. I didn't have the correct gauge of wire on hand, so just cut the bad spot out and reattached for now. I had a weak spark for a bit, but then nothing. Checked and cleaned everything again and had the same erratic results.
On another note... Model number 241431, in my Briggs manual, is listed as a rope start. Model 241434 is listed as a belt driven starter/generator model. Number on my engine is the 431 number, so I'm a bit confused. Will the different model number make any difference if I should go on a search for a new coil?

maybe it means you CAN start with a rope. the fly wheel probably has a notch for hooking your rope ( a knot )most of mine do

• Bill56 said thank you

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 09:47 PM

.....if I should go on a search for a new coil?

The correct coil for your model 243431 engine is B&S part # 298968.

These are available from some of the GTT sponsors.

• Bolens 1000, Bill56 and trowel have said thanks