• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zake1000 OFFLINE  

zake1000
  • Member No: 71332
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hi, I have an ariens 46" riding mower with a Kohler vtwin engine (I purchased it last year).   I performed the service on it yesterday (changed oil and filter, gas filter, air filter, and spark plug).  After doing all the work, I tested it by just riding it on my lawn and it worked fine, tested the mower part and it engaged fine as well.   I pull the wheel lock lever out and pushed it into the garage.  Today, I pulled it out and when I went to start it, it would not start.  I had the battery checked and trickle charged (as suggested by my local Ariens dealer).  Got back home and same thing, it made a sound like it wanted to start, and the air intake on top of the engine turns, but the engine never starts.   The local guy told me to pull the spark plug out and test starting it.  Same thing.  I removed the air filter and there is a lot of gas in there, enough to get the filter a bit wet on one side.   So I called the dealer again, and he suggested I bring it down.  I said ok, and when I went to push it again, the rear wheels were locked (parking brake is off and the wheels are disengaged from the lever in the back).  I now can't move the riding mower away from in front of my car.  I will look into using a car jack on the back and rolling since front wheels spin freely.

What can I check tomorrow to fix the issue?  If anything , at least be able to push it on the back of my truck with ramps (I have a higher side of the lawn where the ramps will barely be at an incline so it should be easy to push).

Dealer also asked me to check the transmission belt to make sure it hadn't jumped off track and maybe locked up the wheels, but belt was in the pulleys correctly.

Thank you.

• RogPlew said thank you

#2 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 03:41 AM

Hello and welcome to GTtalk!  Sorry to read about your ariens.  sometimes those wheel locks stick...you might try spraying some sort of lubricant in there to free it up, might even tap on it lightly with a soft hammer or something.  

you might have flooded the engine...try to see if it will fire without choke and no gas... might need to pull the spark plug and dry it out, or maybe a safety switch is activated, i.e. mower deck, clutch, or seat switch.  hope this helps.  there are a bunch more folks with more knowledge than me on here who will see your post and can maybe help out.    good luck!

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 07:00 AM

Welcome to GTT. It sounds like the wheellock lever isn't doing what it is supposed to and that may be the culprit for all the problems. Try to follow the linkage and gently get it to engage and disengage. Sometimes, if there is a stress on the the tranny they will jam. I've seen a stuck parking brake cause this too. Good Luck, Rick