7 replies to this topic

#1 Medic13 OFFLINE  

Medic13
  • Member No: 71323
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 09:13 PM

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and sort of to lawn and garden tractors.  I have had my 1980's Yard Man garden tractor for about 5 years now and its 18hp B&S Vanguard is still running smooth and strong.  The rest of the tractor however is showing it's age so I started looking around for a newer tractor with a blown motor.  I found a 2005 Husqvarna 20hp tractor with a blown 20hp Kohler engine, and I was hoping to transplant my motor into the Husqa. 

What I am looking for is some idea as to the level of difficulty of doing this transplant.  Is it a fairly simple conversion? Do I need to buy some type of kit? 

thanks for the help.  

• MH81 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 09:28 PM

:welcometogttalk:
Is it gear or hydro?

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 10:21 PM

Welcome to GTT. We seem to be attracting alot of our neighbors to the north this month. I hope you enjoy your visits. The main problem may be the hookup of the charging system. I take projects like this as a "fix it as I go". You can download three free manuals per day from our Manual Section. There are three comprehensive manuals for the MTDs. Good Luck, Rick

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 11:52 PM

Both engines have mags? If not, wiring is diff for a battery ignition, but maybe this modern is not that type. Are these both Vertical shaft or Horizontal?  The size of the shafts might differ and need some diff pulleys, hoping not some of those dual or wide spaced kind?  I would think I would look into rebuilding the 20hp engine and keep it right for the tractor. What are problems for it? These things are getting like modern cars, not so easy to just pull and swap as it once was with all the controls and electronics on the things now. Some have fuel shut-off, oil level reading and ignition boxes that won't work w/out being in proper sequence and other items. 

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 06:20 AM

If you can get a service manual for both engines or alternatively both tractors you should be able to sort out any differences in controls and electrical. Physical fit would be the first thing to look at. Overall size, mounting bolt pattern, position, diameter and length of crankshaft, exhaust port location etc. If these 2 engines were designed for the same market my guess is they will be pretty close in terms of the basics. 

#6 Medic13 OFFLINE  

Medic13
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 08:59 AM

thanks guys.  Not too sure about whats wrong with the Kohler, just found it online locally & the owner said that the motor's blown.  I guess I'll do some more research on the motors before moving on with the project.  

#7 Medic13 OFFLINE  

Medic13
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 09:02 AM

BTW my yardman is hydro & & it looks like the Husqa is as well.

#8 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,490 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 06:54 AM

thanks guys.  Not too sure about whats wrong with the Kohler, just found it online locally & the owner said that the motor's blown.  I guess I'll do some more research on the motors before moving on with the project.  

It's probably the "courage" motor, notorius for being "blown". 

A local parts guy told me he gets LT's that are just a 5-10 years old for parts cause of this issue they had