• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 170 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 04:59 PM

1. Do you enjoy or participate in the Tractor Games? Are prizes important to you if you win?

Prizes are kinda neat, but not really necessary.  Avoid the details that you don't need, setting up a show is enough work as it is.

2. Do you like getting Trophies for your Tractor Restoration abilities, or are these now a thing of the past?

Same as #1.  Most guys (IMO) would rather talk about their machine than take home a piece of wood.

3. Would you rather set up your display on grass or blacktop? 

Grass, but it would be nice to cruise around the grounds from time to time.  Machines are kinda boring when they are mistaken for art.

4. While attending a show that is more than one day, what types of food would you like to see offered? 

I go wherever there is coffee, especially if it is free.  I only eat kosher food but that is not anyone else's responsibility.  I won't buy the $5 cup of fries anyway.  Let me bring a cooler!

5. Is a DJ fine, or would a live band be more enjoyable? 

Either is good as long as I can hear myself think.  My hearing is half gone and I still can't stand the live music at most car shows.  Music is background noise for me, something low volume on a PA system is plenty.

6. How often do you listen to, or pay attention to the commercials on the Radio while driving your car/truck, or working in the shop?

I bet I catch 1 in 20, and usually only the tail end.  Recap the what, when and where at the end, that drives me nuts.

7. Do you buy or enjoy homemade baked goods if offered at a show? 

I would if it were also a farmers market.  That would be pretty cool.  Local produce is the way to go.

8. Which would you rather attend, a one day show, a two day show, or a three day Holiday weekend show? 

I would show for one day only, but a two day show would make it available for more folks to attend.  Lot of weddings, birthdays, etc. in the warm months.

9. Which season of the year would you rather prefer to set up at: Spring, Summer, or Fall?

I like spring/fall best, summer is just hot...although the weather is less likely to cooperate.

10. If attending a show that you really liked, how likely are you to support the Sponsors that made the show happen?

Depends on if they provide a service I need, and the price.  I would say it has nothing to do with their sponsorship.

• Alc, johndeereelfman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#17 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 170 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:20 PM

I will tell you this:  I went to a local plow day this year to check it out and join the hosting club.  I don't have a lift/hitch/plow so I left the Cub at home.  I walked around the areas wehere there were people, got not one hello, howdy, or whatever, even while looking at the goods at the club table.  Only words I heard said were from a member complaining to another guy about how things were not going how he wanted them to, might have been the pres or something, I don't know.  I was there a total of fifteen minutes and did not inquire about membership.  If I want to spend time with unhappy antisocial people I will put in overtime at work.  Make people feel welcome, whether they have a tractor or not, and they might come back again.  This is supposed to be fun.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,918 Thanks
  • 6,887 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 05:24 AM

1. Do you enjoy or participate in the Tractor Games? Are prizes important to you if you win?  I'll watch but it's something I don't go out of the way to watch

2. Do you like getting Trophies for your Tractor Restoration abilities, or are these now a thing of the past? NO

3. Would you rather set up your display on grass or blacktop? At Roots it was black top and was fine , but it wasn't hot either

4. While attending a show that is more than one day, what types of food would you like to see offered? I'm not fussy but go to non-profit , church groups or similar first  

5. Is a DJ fine, or would a live band be more enjoyable? Either is enjoyable if not too loud

6. How often do you listen to, or pay attention to the commercials on the Radio while driving your car/truck, or working in the shop? I Do

7. Do you buy or enjoy homemade baked goods if offered at a show? YOU BET !!!

8. Which would you rather attend, a one day show, a two day show, or a three day Holiday weekend show?  It doesn't matter to me

9. Which season of the year would you rather prefer to set up at: Spring, Summer, or Fall?  Either is fine

10. If attending a show that you really liked, how likely are you to support the Sponsors that made the show happen?  I have in the past

I enjoy the displays that have a little info on what it is , whether it's a tractor , attachment ect. not everyone  knows that the JD your showing is a certain year and it's was a one year model and only a few made  ,  I haven't made one yet  , but a note book with some history in more detail about what I'm showing .  Everyone enjoys working displays too .

Edited by Alc, June 01, 2015 - 05:27 AM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#19 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,508 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 05:56 AM

If you really want the ultimate experience at a show, especially for GTs, have a place to work them.  Many people look down on these machines and view them as toys that can't do much in the way of work.  I always thought it would be cool to have a field to plow (or disc if you want), maybe a dirt pile so the guys with little front loaders could play, perhaps a place where backhoes could dig.  There were many unique implements for GTs throughout the years and I just think a place to see them work would be awesome.  That said, the logistics of it all would be a nightmare.  You would need a larger chunk of land than you might think. There's a show about an hour from me (I have not personally attended this show but know folks who have) that has construction equipment and a place to work it.  Being that I've never attended I really don't know how they have everything set up or how much ground they have but I know it's a real attraction for those into old iron.  I just think a similar well thought out show geared toward GTs would be something that would gain notoriety very quickly.  After all, it seems to be the age of the GT.  Just a thought.

• MH81, KennyP, truck21 and 1 other said thanks

#20 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,508 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 06:08 AM

OK Guys,

1. Do you enjoy or participate in the Tractor Games? Are prizes important to you if you win?

The games are fun but the dash plaque has always been enough for me.

2. Do you like getting Trophies for your Tractor Restoration abilities, or are these now a thing of the past?

No, this will ruin the hobby by knocking the small money guys out of the game.  This hobby is about learning history, not a fashion show.

Grass any day of the week.

4. While attending a show that is more than one day, what types of food would you like to see offered? 

I'm usually good with anything but a variety (from healthy to heart attack) would be best.

The sound of the engines is music enough for me.  Perhaps music later in the evening.  More on that later.

6. How often do you listen to, or pay attention to the commercials on the Radio while driving your car/truck, or working in the shop?

Not often.

Darn right.  Home made stuff enhances the experience you are after at these shows.

8. Which would you rather attend, a one day show, a two day show, or a three day Holiday weekend show? 

These days I think two day maximum.  Going back to point 5 I think a two day event with a meet and greet for the exhibitors in the evening would be great.  You could have some music then but it might be tough to hold a conversation with the music going.  I guess it would depend on the set up.

9. Which season of the year would you rather prefer to set up at: Spring, Summer, or Fall?

Doesn't much matter to me.

10. If attending a show that you really liked, how likely are you to support the Sponsors that made the show happen? 

Always try to support the folks who made it possible.

Thanks for the help, and again, if I missed something, please feel free to post your ideas, comments, or concerns. 

My other suggestions are in my other post.  Probably not real feasible but, if we are dreaming, we may as well dream big.

• MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#21 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,014 Thanks
  • 4,424 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 04:37 PM

jd.rasentrac thank you for the video....I really enjoyed it.

I really like the "scooter" with the 1 wheel trailer.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,391 Thanks
  • 17,472 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Never liked the idea of games or prizes at a tractor show, I just like seeing old iron and History when I go, I am a big advocate for live demos though, Plowing , mowing tilling ect. Like mentioned above most think these are toys and we should demo what these machines can do.

No Trophies

I prefer either or, definitely like the blacktop for the restored machines especially if it rains!

Doest really matter , something simple and not too messy, need an ice cream stand though! :D

I dont like music at shows

While working in the shop I often use the loud tools during commercial breaks :D

I like 1-2 day shows, preferably Friday & Saturday

Summer Always!!!! The fall gets too cold and unpredictable here!

I always pitch in a little money to the grounds owners or help set stuff up.

• grnspot110 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#23 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,446 Thanks
  • 29,126 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 08:48 PM

Games are a hoot and give the spectators another reason to be there.  They dont have to be complicated and are better when corny.  Prizes: NO, bragging rights or a certificate.  If Trophy a must, make it something goofy.  One Idea here was golden kazoos...

No Restoration competition.  If the participants want one, make it an Attendee's Choice award or something to involve more people

Grass.

We do Pancakes and sausage or biscuits and gravy in the morning, Some basics or subs for lunch, and fries& hamburg/hot sausage/etc for supper.

We have live bands.  I would rather they weren't there... but I am a minority.  It's just another time I cant run an engine.

If band, put it at the end of the day so people don't have to stay

OH, and devotions on Sunday are a must, but keep it short and sweet.  Also, any devotional music should be short too.  Seems we lose half our showtime Sunday and sometimes people leave Saturday instead of Sunday because of it.

Our Local Community Calendar (on radio) is a good way for us to get people to attend.

You've met me... Yes and yes.  

We do ours over Father's Day Weekend.  It's a lot of work, so might as well have Friday, Saturday, and half of Sunday

I like the summer shows, but late summer would be OK too.

Getting the sponsor's noticed is a hard thing to do.

heck, we have a great group of sponsors here that we have to constantly remind people about, even tho they post daily.

Thanks for the help, and again, if I missed something, please feel free to post your ideas, comments, or concerns. 

People like to watch demonstrations.

Rope Making

feed grinding

butter churning

ice cream making

Cross Cut Sawing

(GT Games)

etc.

BS tables are always a hit at shows.

a table, under a tent with a few chairs and some scratch paper.  Maybe near a demonstration?

we like to toss a few books on old equipment or the like on the table just for conversation.

make sure you have a note that explains the books aren't for sale or free... just for people to enjoy.

• Alc, shorty and TomLGT195 have said thanks