johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 05:31 PM

OK Guys,

What are some of your favorite things when participating at a Tractor Show? I'm looking for suggestions that would make exhibitors feel like they were at the Ultimate Tractor Show, and ideas that would make you want to attend or tell a friend about the show. I just have a few questions that I would like some input on, and if I don't have something covered, please feel free to list other things that you would enjoy seeing.

1. Do you enjoy or participate in the Tractor Games? Are prizes important to you if you win?

2. Do you like getting Trophies for your Tractor Restoration abilities, or are these now a thing of the past?

3. Would you rather set up your display on grass or blacktop? 

4. While attending a show that is more than one day, what types of food would you like to see offered? 

5. Is a DJ fine, or would a live band be more enjoyable? 

6. How often do you listen to, or pay attention to the commercials on the Radio while driving your car/truck, or working in the shop?

7. Do you buy or enjoy homemade baked goods if offered at a show? 

8. Which would you rather attend, a one day show, a two day show, or a three day Holiday weekend show? 

9. Which season of the year would you rather prefer to set up at: Spring, Summer, or Fall?

10. If attending a show that you really liked, how likely are you to support the Sponsors that made the show happen? 

Thanks for the help, and again, if I missed something, please feel free to post your ideas, comments, or concerns. 

• truck21, tinbender7, shorty and 2 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,946 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 05:42 PM

Good questions Troy. It will be neat to hear everyones thoughts.

• johndeereelfman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:06 PM

I have never been to a GT show, since I dont know about any local shows, so advertising has to be the top priority. The closest thing I can compare it to is a BBQ contest. Live music is nice, if you like the style they are playing. I like old country/ blues/ classic rock, but that might turn off the metal heads.  As far as food... not an issue at the BBQ contests. Dont listen to radio, mostly stored Ipod stuff, cant stand the force fed top 40 country crap and 40 year old classic rock get boring. If I have to travel , I would rather make a weekend out of it. Late summer stuff when forced to buy $3 bottled water can be a turn off. I like trophies. Hard to remember the dinner you took your wife out to 10 years later with what you won.

Edited by tater195, May 30, 2015 - 06:18 PM.

• johndeereelfman, tinbender7, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:11 PM

I'll come back to this later. But I like what you have asked about!

• johndeereelfman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:11 PM

I attend shows and parades in my area, what I like to see is tractors on display, but also realy like to see the tractors doing some thing, what ever it is, love the sound of them. I also like to see restored attachments. Not many restore them. They are just as important as the tractors. Just my thoughts, Noel
  • Alc, KennyP, truck21 and 5 others have said thanks

#6 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 917 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:47 PM

1. No games, I want to sit and talk and walk around and look.

2. Don't need a trophy Just tell me what you think.

3. Grass and Shade.

4. Some "Carnival" food and a homemade booth like Chicken Noodles or Ham and Beans.

5. & 6.  Don't matter to me either way or none.

7. Love Homemade bake sales, I go to the Sheldon, IN. show just for the  homemade Blackberry Pie!

8. One to two days works for me.

9. All three.

10. Very likely.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,663 Thanks
  • 7,683 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 08:45 PM

Our Lions Club has had a one day tractor show for 15 years. We keep adding more different things to it. Last year we started having stock class and antique tractor pulls. We have made a point of not giving trophies for tractor show categories. We want to avoid arguments and hurt feelings. We give awards for peoples choice, president's award and such. Otherwise, everyone gets a nice magnetic plaque for attending. These can be produced on a printer. The Lions make most of their money from serving food. If it's a GT show, you could do games like polo, but not so much with full size.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 09:17 PM

I prefer 2 day shows. I also like when owners sit with there tractors ,that way questions can be directly asked to them. Most importantly I think there should be activities for kids there , it is very important to get children interested and involve to keep our hobby alive. Lastly a show needs to have Ice Cream , yeh ice cream is key to a successful show. Great question thanks for asking.
Tom
  • Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Most importantly I think there should be activities for kids there , it is very important to get children interested and involve to keep our hobby alive. 

I like the idea as far as kids activities. I was kicking around the idea of cutting a bunch of scrap pieces of wood, and making some kits available so that kids could assemble a bird house, or a 3D version of a Farm Tractor or Combine. I was also wondering about how some Carnival type games would go, like ring toss on 2 liter bottles of sodas, balloon/dart toss with random door prize tickets concealed inside some of the balloons, face painting, and the softball at milk bottle throw. I just don't think the kids pedal pull is enough to keep the kids occupied. If we can keep the kids interested, then Mom's and Dad's will have a hard time getting them to leave. 

• Gtractor, Alc, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#10 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 10:09 PM

I like the idea as far as kids activities. I was kicking around the idea of cutting a bunch of scrap pieces of wood, and making some kits available so that kids could assemble a bird house, or a 3D version of a Farm Tractor or Combine. I was also wondering about how some Carnival type games would go, like ring toss on 2 liter bottles of sodas, balloon/dart toss with random door prize tickets concealed inside some of the balloons, face painting, and the softball at milk bottle throw. I just don't think the kids pedal pull is enough to keep the kids occupied. If we can keep the kids interested, then Mom's and Dad's will have a hard time getting them to leave.

All your ideas sound great . Carnival games are fun when they are free. Also the Pedal tractor pull is nice but a lot of waiting around for a short turn , you may try instead a open pedal pull where it is just walk up and try you best at it with no tournament competition . Then maybe getting a sticker or something small. It is a good link from tractors to kids.
Tom
  • Alc and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#11 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 12:16 AM

1. Do you enjoy or participate in the Tractor Games? Are prizes important to you if you win?

I enjoy them but seldom partake or watch because I prefer to look at others tractors and talk with their owners.

2. Do you like getting Trophies for your Tractor Restoration abilities, or are these now a thing of the past?

Never cared much for trophies,  besides,  I have too many now.   I don't like competition.  Car shows are ruined by trophies and who's is "best".    A "peoples choice" and/or  "sponsors choice" trophy is fine - but not 30 trophies for 30 different categories.  

Grass.  I take a Quick-Up 10 X 10 shade canopy to all shows and its much easier to stake down when not on asphalt. 

4. While attending a show that is more than one day, what types of food would you like to see offered?

Need food that is not on a bun.  The MRS is an insulin dependant diabetic and can't have much bread.  If she has a burger at lunch she can't have any bread at dinner. 

I'd prefer no music at the show.  The music tends to be overly loud and there is no conversing with others while the music is going. 

6. How often do you listen to, or pay attention to the commercials on the Radio while driving your car/truck, or working in the shop?

I channel surf when a commercial comes on.   Commercials drive me insane.  [thats not a very long trip!] 

only occasionally

8. Which would you rather attend, a one day show, a two day show, or a three day Holiday weekend show?

When I was younger I loved three day-ers.  I'd take vay-cay from work on Friday and spend the weekend.  Now days my body won't hold up to that much "fun".  One day is prefered,  two days is plenty if long distance travel was involved.  If its a 2 day-er I prefer Friday/Saturday.  Sunday I can mow the yard or rest up for work on Monday morning. 

9. Which season of the year would you rather prefer to set up at: Spring, Summer, or Fall?

With my job,  spring already keeps me way too busy.  Summer slacks off at work and I like to attend a show every weekend.  Fall seems to have plenty of shows already.  [at least around here]

10. If attending a show that you really liked, how likely are you to support the Sponsors that made the show happen?

very likely

Some things that always need to be done:

Make exhibitors feel welcome and appreciated. It doesn't take trophies or cash awards.  They brought their toys out to share with everyone.  Have a show official stop by and thank them personally. Shake their hand and show interest in the display,  and the fact that they made the effort to bring a display. 

I could write a book on what not to do at shows.  Couple of the biggies are:

1.  If an exhibitor wants to park his pickup and trailer behind his display,  let-em!!!!   This is especially true for the hit-N-miss engine guys.  They need access to their tools. 

2.   If you have to charge a small fee for golf carts thats fine.  do not charge the butt buggy fee to antique,  display garden tractors!!   That seems like a no-brainer to me but try to display a garden tractor at the Boonville, MO show and see where that gets ya.  They have a guy that will pull your keys out of garden tractors until such time as he has proof you bought butt buggy permits for every tractor.

3.  Don't nit-pick at the little things any exhibitor does.  If a garden tractor exhibitor wants to park with the farm tractor exhibits, let-em.  Maybe he has buddies that brought farm tractors.  I've seen exhibitors get run off because they didn't want to park in the designated areas.  I've seen show officials ask exhibitors to move a tractor three feet when it wasn't blocking anything.  "You can't park there" will make even the most enthusiastic exhibitor decide that for next years show he will just be too busy to make it.

• Bolens 1000, grnspot110, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#12 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,447 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 12:41 AM

++ Activities are good for the visitors and the exhibitors - prizes are not important

++ no trophies, please

++ I prefer grass

++ as an exibitor I do a bbq w/ friends, as a visitor: Steaks and Bratwurst

++ in the evening, I prefere a live band

++ seldom, posters for a show are better!

++ Doris and I are always looking for coffee and homebaked foods!

++ normally a weekend (2 days) is enough, if the show is far away from me 2-3 days are better

++ the season doesn't matter, the journey is the reward

10.If attending a show that you really liked, how likely are you to support the Sponsors that made the show happen?
++ like 6., I'm not interested in advertising aso but the poster of a sponsor may help to find a provider

As a visitor you often have to pay for admission here in Germany. You'll often find a commercial or free carnival for the kids. An announcer gives you infos about the owners and their machines

• Alc, johndeereelfman, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#13 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

• Contributor
  • 4,447 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:06 AM

And, Troy, try to ask the visitors and the exhibitors what they like to see or to eat. Therefore you can use a handout. We made this one time at the annual Oldtimer-Schau in Gudensberg.

• johndeereelfman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#14 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 06:14 AM

Couple days would be nice, so people who are far can travel to it.  

Fair food , nothing crazy, but homemade baked goods are a plus..

Grass would be preferred, keep the temp down.

No trophies. Tractor games would be nice. Kids things are important. Nothing too elaborate on both of those. I like the idea posted about the kids open pedal tractor pull, where you just come up and take a turn, not a competition.

If it was a two day event , live music and some sort of bbq later in the day would work, if you think participants would hang around and not go back to their hotels. Maybe even a late afternoon tractor parade tied into that would keep people there.

A fairground would be ideal , something that has the external support needed for weekend shows; i.e. hotels , restaurants , attractions.

I certainly would support show vendors. I do when I go to car shows.

I think advertising could be on local radio for the visitors would help ,even posters at the event location throughout the year, but you will need to be in the tractor forums to get the participants from several states to show up.  that's it for now. Tom

• Gtractor, Alc, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#15 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

• Contributor
  • 4,447 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 11:17 AM

here's a video from last year

• johndeereelfman said thank you