• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaveNY OFFLINE  

DaveNY
  • Member No: 71304
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 12:49 PM

Hello, I have a 199? gt6000 that I got used. After fixing some switches atc it ran OK but always required choke to run well. I have changed the carb, and fuel pump ( I have another engine) and for the most part have been able to use the tractor. Now it runs for about 1/2 hour then quits. After cooling off for a few hours it starts right up. Today I re-routed the fuel line outside of the engine shroud thinking maybe it was vapor locking but still did the same thing. The fuel filter never seems to be full of fuel and I would think it would because it is lower than the inlet to the fuel pump. I am thinking about replacing the entire fuel line and filter again.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Dave 

#2 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 01:47 PM

Sounds like the coil is getting hot and stops functioning.  If the coil from the other engine is good and will fit, try swapping them, and see if your problem goes away.

I have a similar problem.  Just been too lazy to fix it.   Rick

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 02:35 PM

Welcome to GTT. Try the fuel line first. The ethanol in gas is doing a job on many components of engines including making the inside of fuel lines constrict. Easiest test is to detach the fuel line at the carb and see how the fuel flows. When it dies check the spark. If there is spark, I would rebuild the carb, paying close attention to the tiny passages that plug easily. Good Luck, Rick

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 04:13 PM

I'm betting gas cap is creating vacuum thus preventing fuel to carb. pressure relieved when it stalls then runs again

#5 DaveNY OFFLINE  

DaveNY
  • Member No: 71304
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 05:38 PM

It started again and I got it back to the house. I replaced the gas line and it wouldn't start again and the gas line was dry ( no gas in filter after replaing line and Filter ). I pulled a plug wire and placed an old spark plug on it and no spark. I pulled the upper shroud off the engine and noticed that the throttle cable was laying hard against on of the plug wires and the other was laying hard against the throttle linkage on the other side. I am going to get some clearance on these thinking maybe they are shorting out when hot.