5 replies to this topic

#1 webtechlin OFFLINE  

webtechlin
  • Member No: 62438
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 12:53 AM

Hey everyone,

I have a real head scratcher here.  Hoping someone has some ideas.  I have a Sovereign 7116 with a B&S 16 HP single cylinder engine.  It's very hard starting.  When I can get it running, it won't run very long.  After quite some time tinkering with the carb settings, spark plug gap, and magnatron ignition coil gap, I was able to get it running.  It seemed to run pretty good but, after about 3 or 4 minutes, it died and I couldn't get it started again.

Here's everything that's been done to the engine:

1.  replaced original points/condenser with magnatron ignition (seems to be good spark, used business card to set gap)

2.  new head gasket (while head was off i was able to see the valves move as they should)

3.  had carb professionally rebuilt

After trying to start it with no success, I would pull the spark plug and it looked very dry and gas would be dripping out of the bottom of the carb.

This leads me to believe that gas is getting to the carb just fine, but not getting up into the cylinder.

But, when I did get it started, it ran great.  When it died, it didnt sputter or anything, it was almost as if i turned the key off.

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 05:13 AM

My gut says carb. These take some finessing sometimes. Have you personally had the carb back off to look at float setting etc?
  • webtechlin said thank you

#3 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:15 AM

I had the same problems with a 10 HP Briggs, I found the float with fuel in it. Trust me it was worth the cost of a float to get the blood pressure back down. 

Good luck Gratton

• boyscout862 and webtechlin have said thanks

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 08:01 AM

First off is this a new tractor to you. Has it run/ran good for you before this problem. Having gas drip out the bottom of the carb and the plug being dry ? doesn't sound like spark problems. When it's running if you play with the choke and give it some choke does it keep running, if it does then you need to play with the adjusting screw on the carb. Could also be the base gasket from the crab to the engine is leaking air.Problems with carb settings is that there not always what the book specifies. If the carb is leaking gas from the bowl something isn't quite right. Also its a possibility that one of the jets or orifices in the carb is blocked.Do you know if the carb was taken completely apart and all the orifices cleaned and blown out.

• webtechlin said thank you

#5 webtechlin OFFLINE  

webtechlin
  • Member No: 62438
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I was able to get it running really good.  Here's what I did.

Reset the carb settings back to the settings from the manual.

New spark plug

Removed fuel filter and put a shut off in its place.

After all that, it fired right up and ran great.

I do have 2 more questions though.

First, should I still put an in-line fuel filter in?  The gas tank is plastic.

Second, while running at high speed, there's a little pop from the muffler.  I wouldn't call it a full blown backfire, but you can definately hear it.  Also, when throttling down, there's a small backfire or two before it returns to idle.  I'm throttling down slowly.

My guess is that it's running a little rich yet, but I wanted to ask this forum's collective vast knowledge to be sure.

Thanks again everyone!

Ryan

#6 Killer_A-C OFFLINE  

Killer_A-C
  • Member No: 51839
  • 367 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted June 01, 2015 - 06:02 AM

If it hasn't been changed there is a screen in the tank outlet from factory....